Pre-wired fishplates...

Started by emjaybee, June 14, 2020, 03:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swisstrains

Quote from: stevewalker on June 15, 2020, 10:42:43 AM
How about a compromise solution - soldering droppers to normal fishplates, on the bench, where access is easy and there are no plastic sleepers to melt?

This is what I did when building my layout.
Soldering wires onto the bottom of fishplates makes for a neat job but the electrical connection is only as good as the fishplates mechanical connection and can deteriorate over time. In 15 years I have had two failures where I have had to "jiggle" the offending fishplate to restore connectivity. Ideally separate feeds need to be soldered directly to each section of track.

ntpntpntp

Yeah, soldering directly to the bottom of the rail is the best solution, I'm not a fan of pre-wired fishplates as you're still relying on a mechanical connection as @swisstrains says. However I do appreciate that for those not having the dexterity to do the soldering themselves then the pre-wired fishplates are the probably the next best solution.

Fortunately over the past 24 years of exhibiting the layout I've only had a couple of cases of conductivity problems due to fishplates, and they were either side of a bridge that I'd set into the trackwork after the rest had been laid, and after some scenic work had been carried out. I gave the fishplates a good squeeze and ran a little solder in (I don't usually solder fishplates at all) and they've been fine ever since.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.23
Below Goal: £29.77
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
April Donations