Has anybody renumbered any EWS diesels?

Started by stevieboy, December 11, 2013, 06:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevieboy

As per title, has anybody successfully renumbered any of the Farish EWS diesels. Not too concerned about the 66's as there's loads of versions. More concerned with the Farish Class 37 37174 that I'd like to run two-up.

Cheers

:NGaugersRule:

EtchedPixels

I have yes. You can if very careful lift the numbers on them without the stripe and then redecal, or if it comes off in one repaint the stripe using masking tape and EWS yellow (I'd use the humbrol one) and decals.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

stevieboy

Thanks.

I just need to find a suitable prototype to base it on now.

Chris

Here's one - if you're prepared to paint the headcodes:-

http://www.hondawanderer.com/37298_Holyhead_1999.htm

Not aware of any others that retained black-boxes apart from the 37/4s.

stevieboy

Thanks, I've looked though the 37 register and struggled to find a suitable loco with the black headcode.

I might have to go rule 1 and go for a 37/0 but with an unpainted headcode box.

Or,

TMC will be renumbering it so I suppose I could always see if they'll paint it.

Chris

I had a look as well and could not find any other 37/0s with centre boxes so these two would be your only choice. It seems all the others retained Transrail or Mainline liveries (some were even still in Dutch!).

I've not got one these locos myself but it's conceivable that the black could be removed with T-cut if it's painted on. If not the noses would be an easy repaint job either masking the body off and covering the lights with blu-tack or maskol blobs before respraying the noses (Holts AA Yellow is a close match for BR yellow if you don't airbrush), or handpainting the noses with Railmatch.

If TMC are doing it then they will do the necessary to the boxes if you ask them to.

One other option you could consider is obtaining a pair of split box noses and swapping them. BR Lines might have some.

stevieboy

:thankyousign:

Thanks for the info.  I've bought the loco now, just need to decide what's best to do.  So far Chris @ TMC has been very helpful with my questions about other loco's, but I'll get the loco off to him before I ask any more!  I'm sure masking the lights off will not be an issue if I decide to go 100% accurate.

It does make you wonder why Farish chose that loco though, common components perhaps (Domino Box)?

No doubt I'll spend all of Xmas deliberating over a decision, mind you SWMBO is out tonight so I may get some thinking time in, unless playing operating distracts me!

Chris

Yes I did the blu-tack blob trick to mask the lights when I did a repaint from 37238 to 37425 in its EWS/Large logo livery with black head-codes (so I went the other way!). Farish chose that loco as they had the tooling from the coal sector 37238 and BR blue 37259, and 37174 was the only EWS 37/0 with black centre boxes so it seemed only right I guess!

I'm looking forward to the 37/4 releases though - plenty of scope for renumbering then!

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%