Summat's missin'!!

Started by Dorsetmike, November 27, 2013, 08:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ParkeNd

Don't forget the really classy modern add-ons like painted stone cladding, plastic Doric columns either side of front doors, extensions to the extensions, garages converted into flats for rent, inflatable swimming pools, and plastic chairs and picnic tables by the front door for drinks after work. All part of the accurate urban scene.

Jerry Howlett

Luckily I don't do modern.. :-X

The soil pipes of course!!! I may now need to revisit some of my buildings, luckily many of my terraced houses have ouside privies so no problem there then.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Dorsetmike

Quote from: ParkeNd on November 30, 2013, 09:54:09 AM
Don't forget the really classy modern add-ons like painted stone cladding, plastic Doric columns either side of front doors, extensions to the extensions, garages converted into flats for rent, inflatable swimming pools, and plastic chairs and picnic tables by the front door for drinks after work. All part of the accurate urban scene.

Not for me either, 1930s, decent sized gardens (6 houses to the acre was crowded - except for older Victorian terraces) greenhouses, sheds, vegetable plots, fish ponds - must try one of those! And don't forget Bungalows, not much in the way of models of those, the Peco offering is hardly typical.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Leo1961

And if you're modelling anything this millennium then it is de rigeur to have a trampoline in any back garden, no matter how small the garden...

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: Leo1961 on November 30, 2013, 11:16:34 AM
And if you're modelling anything this millennium then it is de rigeur to have a trampoline in any back garden, no matter how small the garden...

So true, here in Italy we have fellow ex-pat friends who have 3 boys. The Trampoline takes up 75% of their courtyard garden!!
Daughter & family in the UK had one up until the gales on 28th Oct when we watched it take off like a huge fling saucer :laugh: Well I laughed!

CarriageShed

Quote from: Sprintex on November 27, 2013, 09:18:29 PM
We have internal pipework too, but it's a damn good observation nonetheless :thumbsup:

Trying to add in as much detail as possible on my houses - net curtains, TV aerials, even the odd satellite dish being the early 90s. Also in keeping with the era there has to be at least one house with tasteless stone cladding :D

Paul, if you're doing the early 1990s then you might also want to think about adding a 'squarial', one of British Satellite Broadcasting's high quality satellite dishes before the Sky takeover. They continued to work with the Sky signal for at least a couple of years afterwards.

Bealman

Quote from: ParkeNd on November 30, 2013, 09:54:09 AM
I must admit that on my recent trip to the UK, that sort of thing did not go unnoticed.

At least we have the weather for such silliness here in Australia - though I'm still not sure it is an excuse.  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

4x2

I'll chuck another missed detailing item in the mix.... Coal bunkers !

My parents house was built in the 50's buy the local council and all the same style houses had coal bunkers in the back garden. They were made of concrete blocks, have a big hinged flat steel roof and a wooden door.

I thought i'd mention it as that coal bunker has a lot of childhood memories for for me as a launch pad for my matchbox racing track, a broken foot (after jumping off it and landing awkwardly... :doh:) and knocking it down to build a BBQ !  :food:
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Jerry Howlett

Coal bunkers oh memories!.  The Scalescenes "add on" for terrace houses "features" a coal hole door in the outside wall for topping up by your local carbon delivery agent.

Jerry

B757-236GT

My grandparents used to have one of those. It was a reinforced concrete construction with a top filling hatch and front hatch to shovel the coal out of. Its something you only tend to see in really rural areas now given most areas are gas supplied.

One other thing is the Garden shed. Just looking round the gardens here out of 14 houses 12 have sheds! Mind you at least 9 also have consevertories too.

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

Leo1961

Quote from: 4x2 on December 01, 2013, 11:38:15 AM
I'll chuck another missed detailing item in the mix.... Coal bunkers !

My parents house was built in the 50's buy the local council and all the same style houses had coal bunkers in the back garden. They were made of concrete blocks, have a big hinged flat steel roof and a wooden door.

I thought i'd mention it as that coal bunker has a lot of childhood memories for for me as a launch pad for my matchbox racing track, a broken foot (after jumping off it and landing awkwardly... :doh:) and knocking it down to build a BBQ !  :food:

I have heard rumours that NewportNobby kept his coal in the bath tub...  :-\

Bealman

OMG nostalgia for coal bunkers.... wot's the world comin' to  :uneasy:

We're a weird lot, us model railwayheads!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

CarriageShed

We had a home-made concrete coal bunker in the front garden right into the seventies after my father blocked up the old coal chute underneath the front door step. :D Ah, the memories.

Dorsetmike

I remember ours was "out the back" but can't for the life of me recall if it was concrete, brick or timber. I'm thinking maybe hack one of he Peco sleeper built buffers, make trhe top of the sides a straight slope not stepped,add a timber lid with a couple of long hinges and a sliding small door at the fron, if it scales a bit big either cut it down or do a scaled down copy from "timber planks" plastic sheet or plain plastic sheet with brick paper or concrete paper.

Puts on thinking cap and checks out sizes also checks the plastic sheet drawer, see what's in there.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Kipper

Wow, outside coal bunkers! We had to open a trapdoor in the living room floor, go down the rotten steps and shovel up the coal from the cellar. The coal men used to deliver it through a round metal "manhole" in the street outside the front window, and it slid down a chute into the cellar. Made my bike filthy too.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations