Anti virus software

Started by TrevL, May 31, 2018, 07:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidinyork

Quote from: mickster04 on June 01, 2018, 11:27:19 PM
A separate point someone raised earlier (on my phone) was to use ccleaner to clear your registry. Please don't do this as it'll actually cause more issues than it solves on the newer windows. As for av, windows own is very reliable in windows 10. 3rd party av has been known to damage and disable windows security features like UAC however those things have probably been resolved now.

Not encountered any isuses with ccleaner, and used it a lot over the years.

Not heard of any AV / UAC conflicts for a long time now - think that was only back in the early days of UAC (it first appeared in Vista, and was designed to be too intrusive so it asked whether you were sure about nearly everything - in later version of Windows it was much improved).

mickster04

I understand businesses get the phone support etc buy purchasing an av product which you don't get with Microsoft as that's free. You don't get the level of support some businesses need or want. So it might be as good if not as customisable as separate av products, but businesses have different requirements to individuals...

Mr Sprue

If I delete software especially if it was an anti virus after doing so I would next run a scan using CCleaner to remove any registries, then check for any program folders connected to the software on the master drive e.g C: and delete them.

But when any software is uninstalled/deleted from your pc it still leaves behind a registry folder, personally I don't like this and I delete those folders also, here is how I edit my registry.   

Before editing "Registry Editor" You must create a back up and keep it somewhere safe in case you need it!

To open registry from windows :  Windows search  type> regedit <  > Enter <  a windows notification will appear asking you if you want to make changes to this computer select  > Yes < 

To create a backup select > Export <  (Restore use > Import <)

In the registry editor select and expand > HKEY_CURRENT_USER < 

Next scroll down and expand > Software <  from there search for any registry folders that are named to the software you are removing and delete them.

I've always checked my registry, its satisfying when you discover and delete something like "interstatnogui exe" which has fooled many AV's!

Mr Sprue

Quote from: mickster04 on June 01, 2018, 11:27:19 PM
A separate point someone raised earlier (on my phone) was to use ccleaner to clear your registry. Please don't do this as it'll actually cause more issues than it solves on the newer windows. As for av, windows own is very reliable in windows 10. 3rd party av has been known to damage and disable windows security features like UAC however those things have probably been resolved now.

I can honestly say that I have never encountered any issues in the years I have been using it!

mickster04

It's off topic now I know but registry cleaners do not help even Microsoft say so. If you are trained professional you may want to modify the registry but otherwise leave well alone https://decentsecurity.com/registry-cleaners/

njee20

Hear hear. I definitely wouldn't advocate manually editing the registry unless you really really know what you're doing. Totally unnecessary.

Still not seen any justification not to use Windows Defender for your average Home user. I think there's an assumption that because a market exists there must be advantages for your average user. I disagree. Businesses are different.

dannyboy

Quote from: dannyboy on May 31, 2018, 10:20:44 PM
Going back to the original topic, would the computer experts on the forum recommend that Windows Defender is enough protection these days? I currently use Malwarebytes Pro along with CCleaner - are they needed? I ask now as my yearly subscription to MB is due in a couple of days. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

I think I'm sorry I asked now, but thank you for all the replies and opinions.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

TrevL

Very interesting folks, so what's the consensus on my Windows 7 Home Premium computer please?
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

davidinyork

Quote from: themadhippy on June 03, 2018, 12:51:38 AM
best anti virus on a windoze pc? At the command prompt type
@@@@@@@@@@@  much  more fun - removed by Moderator
Install linux

I'm sure that will prove really helpful  :dunce: (and you can't format the C drive if you've booted off it anyway). 'Linux' is not a single entity (it depends which distribution you are using), and is really not very suitable for the home user (other than IT enthusiasts who like to tinker) - as soon as there is any sort of problem, you are going to need a level of understanding which those who aren't versed in it simply won't have.

To try to give a sensible answer to the question, I'd again say the free version of AVG, if you don't want to pay for something. I'd be even more reluctant to rely on the Microsoft offering here than I would on Windows 10, as it's older and more basic.

themadhippy

Quoteis really not very suitable for the home user (other than IT enthusiasts who like to tinker)
what a load of nonsense,infact for your average home user who wants to surf the net,write the odd letter and  play music id i say linux is a much better (and cheaper)  option.
Quoteas soon as there is any sort of problem, you are going to need a level of understanding which those who aren't versed in it simply won't have.
and isnt this the same for any O/S ?
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

davidinyork

Quote from: themadhippy on June 03, 2018, 05:53:30 PM
Quoteis really not very suitable for the home user (other than IT enthusiasts who like to tinker)
what a load of nonsense,infact for your average home user who wants to surf the net,write the odd letter and  play music id i say linux is a much better (and cheaper)  option.
Quoteas soon as there is any sort of problem, you are going to need a level of understanding which those who aren't versed in it simply won't have.
and isnt this the same for any O/S ?

Worked in IT support have you? As someone who has (and does), I can assure you that it's you who is talking 'nonsense'. Most home users wouldn't have the first idea how to install an operating system, and even if someone else did that they would then have no idea how to deal with awkward printer drivers and so on. WIth Windows, it normally all just works now the majority of the time.

It's also not cheaper unless you are going to build your own computer or get it built by the bloke down the road. Anything from a major manufacturer will normally come with Windows, and in the few cases where they do offer Linux the devices are no cheaper - Windows licenses cost them very little per unit given the vast quantities which they are buying.

And no, it's not the same for any OS - Windows normally doesn't needa good level of understanding as most software and other consumer devices are designed to work with it straight out of the box.

Plus most people will be familiar with Windows from workplaces, so they will have at least a basic understanding of how to use it.

joe cassidy

I installed the free version of Avast on my computer a few weeks ago.

I am now getting messages from Avast telling me my "free trial" is about to expire and that I should install the paid version.

I am also being sollicited by McAfee asking me to buy their antivirus.

Which is best value - Avast or MaAfee ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Joe

davidinyork

I think Avast will still work as a free version, but only the basic features will be enabled (that was the case last time I used it, anyway). I can't rememer whether it's a separate installation or all the same one.

If I was paying for something I would go with Kaspersky rather than either of the ones you mention.

emjaybee

Quote from: joe cassidy on March 22, 2021, 03:42:16 PM
I installed the free version of Avast on my computer a few weeks ago.

I am now getting messages from Avast telling me my "free trial" is about to expire and that I should install the paid version.

I am also being sollicited by McAfee asking me to buy their antivirus.

Which is best value - Avast or MaAfee ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Joe

Personally I'd go with Norton.

It shouldn't be about 'best value', it should be about 'most secure'.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

TrevL

In my experience, neither.  BitDefender every time for me.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations