Fake browser update pages

Started by austinbob, May 07, 2017, 09:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

Over the last two or three days I've been getting sudden browser popups for critical updates to your browser. Google chrome in my case.
This is a scam and you shouldn't accept the update request. Apparently it also happens in explorer and Firefox.
If you do accept the update a program is downloaded which can encrypt your files or send out password information.
If you Google - Google chrome critical update request - you can find further information
:veryangry:
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

oscar

One of the reasons I won't use Google. I prefer DuckDuckGo! :bounce:

austinbob

Quote from: oscar on May 07, 2017, 10:01:25 AM
One of the reasons I won't use Google. I prefer DuckDuckGo! :bounce:
As I said - this scam appears to affect other browsers as well - just suggest you're careful.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

njee20

Where are you getting these pop ups? Sounds like you're already infected wth something to get those, it just wants to install something more malicious. Particularly if it's cross browser.

Trev

Quote from: austinbob on May 07, 2017, 09:51:34 AM
Over the last two or three days I've been getting sudden browser popups for critical updates to your browser. Google chrome in my case.
This is a scam and you shouldn't accept the update request. Apparently it also happens in explorer and Firefox.
If you do accept the update a program is downloaded which can encrypt your files or send out password information.
If you Google - Google chrome critical update request - you can find further information
:veryangry:

As Njee22 said, it sounds if something is already on your computer and trying to get more installed.
I use  https://www.malwarebytes.com/  and do a scan once a month or when suspicious things start to happen.

Whenever I write a letter to someone, I add a footnote briefly explaining Ohm's law. It's my P.S. de resistance.

broadsword

Re last post there is a free version of Malwarebytes and I
do a scan daily  .

austinbob

The Searches I have done point to what escafeld has said. I have Malwarebytes and a good virus scanner and no problems have been found on my pc.
This is in line with what others have found.
It has only happened to me a couple of times. It isn't a problem for me as I'm aware its there.
I'm just trying to make others aware.

Bob Austin

njee20

Which sites though? it's useful to make people aware, but these things shouldn't spontaneously pop up, it's not a feature of Chrome (or Firefox, or Edge, or Safari etc). I've never ever had one.

Ian Bowden

bots use random generation of IP addresses to send malware messages. I regularly get messages on my business email (which is in the public domain) for accounts I don't have and unpaid invoices. I doesn't necessarily come from a site you visited but a response confirms your existence and more is sent.

austinbob

Quote from: njee20 on May 07, 2017, 11:12:07 AM
Which sites though? it's useful to make people aware, but these things shouldn't spontaneously pop up, it's not a feature of Chrome (or Firefox, or Edge, or Safari etc). I've never ever had one.
Couldn't tell you what sites. I'll make a note if it happens again.
If you want more info do a google search as I suggested.

Bob Austin

Newportnobby

Thanks for flagging up this potential issue, Bob, and I hope you get it sorted. It's down to the individual whether they choose to look into it or dismiss it.

austinbob

Quote from: austinbob on May 07, 2017, 11:50:28 AM
Another warning - some of the links I checked about this issue give a Malwarebytes blocked website warning.- There's a lot of nasty people out there!!!!

Here's a Norton link which gives a flavour of the problem.
https://community.norton.com/en/forums/urgent-chrome-update

Bob Austin

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

austinbob

Quote from: Bealman on May 07, 2017, 12:39:49 PM
Dare we click on it?  ;)
Absolutely..... as austinbob liistens to disk drive encrypting all his fil..xy 34la- d; d;i0d..... :)

Bob Austin

austinbob

Quote from: austinbob on May 07, 2017, 11:50:28 AM
Happened again today at 21:36 whilst browsing Daily Express website. Obviously did not click on update button.

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations