Mirrored Pair of IDE Drives

Started by Broken Neck, September 20, 2011, 10:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Broken Neck

Can anyone tell me what this is used for and how I would set it up?. Have had disk failure in the past, for various reasons and have always lost all my data, I do back up using Nero these days onto an external drive and wondered if the mirrored pair would give me more of a chance.
Current operating system is Windows XP.

Can you please keep replies not mega technical, my skill level is just above average on hardware setup.

AndyGif

You'd be better off backing the harddisk up with nero like your already doing.
Faffing about trying to mirror these  two disks just isnt worth the effort!
Does your pc have a RAID controller in it, if not then your not going to be getting very far with this idea as it stands.

Broken Neck

AndyGif
Thanks for the reply, my PC does have a Raid controller in it but from what you say I am just as well off forgetting the mirrored drive. Heard so many people talk about it I woundered if it was a better idea than what I was doing. Again cheers for the advice.

Lawrence

Lesmond might be the man to help you set up your RAID array.

Sorry Les, another job :-[

EtchedPixels

I always mirror drives. Backups you need too, but mirroring at least means you are not in the "shop shut, computer down, can't online order a new one" state or facing hours of feeding the machine.

Also makes it faster of course.

Can't help on the windows setup though, last windows I actually knew how to work was 3.11
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Broken Neck

Hi EtchedPixels
Quote from: EtchedPixels on September 20, 2011, 08:32:01 PM
I always mirror drives. Backups you need too, but mirroring at least means you are not in the "shop shut, computer down, can't online order a new one" state or facing hours of feeding the machine.

Also makes it faster of course.

Can't help on the windows setup though, last windows I actually knew how to work was 3.11

Now that sounds like what I have heard on the subject, it seems like one of those things that you like or dont like and could be a can of worms. Will do a bit more re-search and have a ponder on this, sounds like it could be out of my skill range to set up. Thanks for the advise and great to meet you sounds like you run Vista or above or is it Lynuix

EtchedPixels

Linux, I work on Linux OS stuff as a job too.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations