Dapol New Releases 2016/17

Started by Widnes Model Centre, April 29, 2016, 07:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidinyork

Quote from: exmouthcraig on January 13, 2017, 10:20:55 PM
Well whinging and moaning doesn't help us our really does it.

DAPOL STOP IGNORING US, TELL US THE TRUTH AND PULL YOUR FINGER OUT AND GET THESE THINGS BUILT MIND BLOWINGLY GOOD AND DELIVERED FOR £120 AND AMAZINGLY WE WILL BUY THEM BY THE BUCKET LOAD AND WE WILL FORGIVE YOU!!!!

Rant over 😄

They aren't ignoring people. Rightly or wrongly, Dapol had at one time a reputation for being poor at communicating but that's not the case now and they have a forum on their own website where their senior staff do post regularly, and do answer questions. Why not go on there and ask if you have a specific question which hasn't already been answered?

exmouthcraig

We do what us bits do best don't we sit and wait, admittedly moaning to each other, and pay whatever it costs when it gets here.
I'm sure that dapol have been bombarded with requests for information relating to them.

We all agree our layouts are never finished but dapol can't take this "oh we will just change this and just change that" attitude when clearly every detail change takes a year! We wanted them 5 years ago when they teased us with pictures and everything is different now in every walk of life 5 years on so they can't keep holding out for the ultimate.

We could of bought this run 5 years ago and they could of had teams developing the new motor/chassis set up for a new realease when they developed it properly

Snowwolflair

With the average modelers age being north of 70, there may be no one left who remembers the teasers by the time they arrive. :goggleeyes:

exmouthcraig

Oh how we could go down the Brexit route and the age of them voters here but I'm more then happy to stick to bashing dapol today!!!

Sprintex

Quote from: exmouthcraig on January 13, 2017, 10:56:06 PM
Oh how we could go down the Brexit route

I'd suggest you read the forum Code of Conduct, especially this bit:-

i)  Political or Religious comment are banned.

Paul

exmouthcraig

Hence the comment adjoining the statement

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Sprintex on January 13, 2017, 11:03:02 PM
Quote from: exmouthcraig on January 13, 2017, 10:56:06 PM
Oh how we could go down the Brexit route

I'd suggest you read the forum Code of Conduct, especially this bit:-

i)  Political or Religious comment are banned.

Paul

Yes dicussing the coming of Dapol product is verging on the religious  :D

exmouthcraig

They'll probably try and ship them here on an ark as well. 2 by 2 every 10 years (is that too religious????? Hopefully not?????)

leachsprite4

Just to emphasise as it was discussed elsewhere the schools was not as advanced as the WC/BoB when the management change occurred.
Gleaned from the dapol digest it's possible to think there is a prototype with an engine in. Unlike dapol that has not been shared for comments on the body shape even in a display case.
It is these two points that concern me most and I stick with my point that I'm not joining another forum as this one is too good.
Plus the dapol website and digest have very poor skins so actually I use them very little, they both appear not to have been checked for ease of use on different devices. This point was made to them before the latest enhancements with suggestions on customer checking website and sharing processes on accessibility. To which I did not get a reply.

This said I know they had included first class markings on all third blood and custard maunsells and had this changed before production so they are listening.

Graham

exmouthcraig

I have never had any reason to bash dapol quality and attention to detail, I know other people that have had issues and do question bits and pieces they have made however since coming to the industry I do feel they rightly so have pushed farish to step up their game which although as discussed elsewhere here has a cost implication I strive to have the most accurate best detailed stock and layout so if it costs an extra £20/£30 then I'm more then happy to do that but have found that 'previous management' did have a particularly poor customer service, numerous emails ignored and lack of information given to US let's be honest the most important part of their business their customers.

Time will tell what and when we get BUT till then we will just keep 'discussing' their failings.

Chris Morris

From what I can see Dapol have been honest and have listened to customers. They said they were planning a West Country and it sounds like quite a lot of work was done. The current Dapol steam locos have received a lot of criticism for their drive mechanisms. I find them to be ok but many find them too fiddly and bad handling can cause unreliability.  The top people changed and one of these I believe was the designer of the steam chassis. The new management decided that a new design of steam chassis was required as they wanted to produce a great product and react to problems some of their customers had raised. This meant that the West Country, which I think will inevitably seen as their prestige model, needed to have a completely new chassis design. I'm going to guess this has taken far longer than planned. I hope this is because they are doing lots of testing to ensure they have a robust design ; the indicators are that this is so. Finding a source for such things as a motor with the right characteristics is likely to take time but would we want a motor like the one fitted to the 45xx in a new model? Goes like a rocket but lacks torque at low speeds.
I am sure Dapol are very keen to get this product to market as quickly as possible because it will be a great revenue stream for them. I admire them for taking the brave step of re-designing and accepting they will get cash flow on this item some years after they had planned. I can only guess that there were some pretty serious discussions about whether they could afford to do this.
So lets be patient and hope it will be worth waiting for.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

NinOz

Quote from: Snowwolflair on January 13, 2017, 11:07:44 PM
Yes dicussing the coming of Dapol product is verging on the religious  :D
Probably all that praying for delivery or favourite model.

No sense getting anxious; all will come at the appropriate time.  It seems every week something new (new building from scalescenes looks great) is added to shops' lists, spoiled for choice I am.

CFJ
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

PLD

Quote from: exmouthcraig on January 13, 2017, 10:20:55 PM
Well whinging and moaning doesn't help us our really does it.
Nope...
Your whinging and moaning doesn't help you get you point across does it...  ::)

Dapol have been up-front and admitted that the development done by the previous regime wasn't up to the standards the new management aspire to, and this model was effectively restarted from scratch so the issues and development that has gone into this model are widely known.

If you believe it can be done quicker and better, set up your own company and get on with it... I look forward to the first release from EXMOUTH MODELS INC - a Bullied Light Pacific being in my hands by August...  ;)

exmouthcraig

Well as long as it's built within 6 years it will be delivered quicker then dapol. My frustration is with them showing us great examples 5 years ago and never delivering. We can all give reasons for things being late but they should of just been honest and told us we shouldnt expect to see them within 10 years. I'm not the only one unhappy with the length of time they've taken or the reasons for it but if you've kicked your previous regime out a good while ago now and still as far as we know no further forward (we only have their word to suggest otherwise) we are right to be unhappy

davidinyork

Quote from: exmouthcraig on January 14, 2017, 11:27:59 AM
Well as long as it's built within 6 years it will be delivered quicker then dapol. My frustration is with them showing us great examples 5 years ago and never delivering. We can all give reasons for things being late but they should of just been honest and told us we shouldnt expect to see them within 10 years. I'm not the only one unhappy with the length of time they've taken or the reasons for it but if you've kicked your previous regime out a good while ago now and still as far as we know no further forward (we only have their word to suggest otherwise) we are right to be unhappy

I don't imagine they knew at the time it was announced that there would be changes in the senior staffing. They are clearly on with it, but they are on with a number of other projects as well and they are a fairly small company, prooducing items for a fairly small market, so it's inevitable that things will take time. I am waiting for the Class 50 and 68 in N gauge - they will arrive when they arrive, and that's all there is to it!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations