Hatton's Beyer-Garratt

Started by N_GaugeModeller, November 16, 2019, 11:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuffington

The Beyer-Garrett is something of a statement piece for a layout and I'll certainly be adding a couple to my fleet...not that I really need any more locos...
Contacted Hattons today regarding the production status of the loco - quick reply that it is still due in Jan 2020.

njee20

If you speak to someone who just looks on their system maybe. In reality there's absolutely no chance of it being here next month, sorry.

Bob G

Quote from: Only Me on November 29, 2019, 09:58:42 PM
Tbh for once..... everyone please get up off the floor.... I agree with Nick! 😬

If hattons want to sell welL in N they would do well to attend TINGS even if they have to lower the price of their N gauge second hand stock to realistic pricing...

Only about 50% of the Hattons N gauge pre-owned is overpriced.
100% of the Rails of Sheffield pre-owned is overpriced.

Bob

njee20

Quote from: Only Me on November 29, 2019, 09:58:42 PM
Tbh for once..... everyone please get up off the floor.... I agree with Nick! 😬

Screen shotting that that for posterity :D

exmouthcraig

Everytime Dapol and occasionally GF pull a projected model the people who want it scream and moan about always being let down (I've done it regarding the WC/BoB)

Those who have or think they have knowledge of the decision tell us all it's a decision based on the small market that the world of N is.

And the rest just stay quiet because none of it affects them.

Why oh why oh WHY if you are a Stockist and at one time were probably the biggest box shifter of the top 2 N gauge manufacturers, would you decide to step into a manufacturing role and not scream and shout about it on EVERY platform available??

Hattons are not new to this game and surely understand how marketing a brand new item works????

As @Only Me says, stick a stand at TINGS, by all accounts the set up at Warley was not the best, but at TINGS you have your target audience, N gauge modellers from around the globe were there, Mr Kato was there personally to reveal his next project, yet a company that understands market size and sales scales that wants to be a massive player in manufacturing and supplying couldn't even be bothered to chuck all their N gauge stock and a trestle table along with a glass display cabinet and huge roll out adverts providing this market with their great big statements and CAD drawings of their new flagship loco in the back of a truck to drive 1 1/2 hrs to the show surely asks more questions than it answers.

And I bet if we rang Dapol regarding the WC/BOB the person on the end of the phone will still say January 2020 delivery and that project is probably as far along as Hattons are with theirs. A nice multi colour line drawing.

trkilliman

Quote from: exmouthcraig on November 29, 2019, 10:53:04 PM
Everytime Dapol and occasionally GF pull a projected model the people who want it scream and moan about always being let down (I've done it regarding the WC/BoB)

Those who have or think they have knowledge of the decision tell us all it's a decision based on the small market that the world of N is.

And the rest just stay quiet because none of it affects them.

Why oh why oh WHY if you are a Stockist and at one time were probably the biggest box shifter of the top 2 N gauge manufacturers, would you decide to step into a manufacturing role and not scream and shout about it on EVERY platform available??

Hattons are not new to this game and surely understand how marketing a brand new item works????

As @Only Me says, stick a stand at TINGS, by all accounts the set up at Warley was not the best, but at TINGS you have your target audience, N gauge modellers from around the globe were there, Mr Kato was there personally to reveal his next project, yet a company that understands market size and sales scales that wants to be a massive player in manufacturing and supplying couldn't even be bothered to chuck all their N gauge stock and a trestle table along with a glass display cabinet and huge roll out adverts providing this market with their great big statements and CAD drawings of their new flagship loco in the back of a truck to drive 1 1/2 hrs to the show surely asks more questions than it answers.

And I bet if we rang Dapol regarding the WC/BOB the person on the end of the phone will still say January 2020 delivery and that project is probably as far along as Hattons are with theirs. A nice multi colour line drawing.

You raise some good points there exmouthcraig.

Perhaps since Hatton's move to their modern premises some new people are in control of decision making?

I cannot understand the choice of loco for their introduction to N loco manufacturing. It seems a strange choice to test the water.
I can only assume that if they were introducing a loco with a larger sales potential the marketing/promotions would be the same. Given their fall-out with Farish and loss of potential revenue, it is all the more surprising.

I did have some early reservations about Revolution, but they have made some wise choices of what to model, and been right up their with their promoting and updates on the progress of their models. This is earning them respect and trust amongst us modellers.

Bingley Hall

Quote from: trkilliman on November 30, 2019, 07:33:48 AM
You raise some good points there exmouthcraig.

Perhaps since Hatton's move to their modern premises some new people are in control of decision making?

I cannot understand the choice of loco for their introduction to N loco manufacturing. It seems a strange choice to test the water.
I can only assume that if they were introducing a loco with a larger sales potential the marketing/promotions would be the same. Given their fall-out with Farish and loss of potential revenue, it is all the more surprising.

It's all already been covered above.
I think it's a brilliant and bold move, albeit the implementation perhaps a little flawed.
I won't be buying 90% of the stuff that Revolution produces, but I will be buying a Garratt.
I'm glad we have both of them supporting the hobby.

1936ace

Got an email overnight from Hatton's about their Garrett. However it wasn't a good update as it mentions it can't progress unless they get more pre orders with a bit of it copies below
"In order for the Beyer Garratt to progress, we need you to pre-order your locomotive as soon as possible. If you are interested in the project and would like to have the locomotive on your layout - now is the time to act! We cannot move the project along until a satisfactory number of pre-orders have been reached."
Do you think it's the cost that is slowing preorders or the unknown of Hatton's being an n gauge manufacturer.

Kaput

Cost and the fairly limited reach/appeal of the prototype are probably the biggest hold ups.
The initial announcment of only having one end motorised probably didn't help since the announcment of them putting the second motor in wasn't exactly broadcast from the rafters.

1936ace

I hope it gets across the line as I placed my order as soon as I heard the announcement. Mainly because it looks awesome but also to help get products to the market. The same reason I have placed orders with other new companies like revolution, c rail etc, even if the items aren't exactly what I model.

Snowwolflair

The Garrett is a bold move but it could very well be an overreach. 

I have built two to a high spec with Fairburn tank mechs. however I was looking forward to the Hatton models to compliment them.  Time will tell bit Christmas is not the best season to get people to commit to expenditure.

railsquid

(thread merged into existing one on the same subject)

I hope this goes ahead, but on the other hand there are a finite amount of N-gauge modellers with a finite amount of money. Personally this has no attraction to me at all, either as something I "need" for a layout or which appeals to me on a Rule 1 basis, so won't be ordering.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bingley Hall

Most people wouldn't give a second thought as to whether it has one or two motors - most US articulated models only have one motor, but we know better. 

The majority people do not run layouts that are era or geographically specific

It is at the very top end of the price range for a UK N-gauge item (Blue Pullmans, Brighton Belles aside), which may well be causing some resistance.

Based on some of the reasons suggested - how on earth will Farish manage to move Longmoor WDs @ 145 quid and will their LNER 8F turn into a fizzer too?

Since the initial announcement, Hattons appears to have just sat back and waited for things to happen - which they ain't. Marketing is the key here.

Bingley Hall

Quote from: Bealman on December 10, 2019, 12:53:21 AM
How much are they?
200 quid - based on what else is out there, an acceptable price point.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations