"Murder, she said" - train in the movie

Started by AlexanderJesse, December 25, 2018, 08:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexanderJesse

I am watching "Murder, she said" on TV (I like Christmas Season, 'cause you can watch them old movies on the TV  :D )... and I am wondering what loco and coaches were used in the movie for the murder train.
Somebody can give me a hint?

After all, I have quite a number of Peco's tiny goods wagons that I am tempted to make me some british themed shunting layout with a run-around. As the book is set in my preferred time period... I would like to have the 4:50 train running around to stress the shunting team
=================
have a disney day

Alexander

Remember: vapour is just water and therefor clean

ntpntpntp

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

AlexanderJesse

Exactly that movie.

at 0:00:56 the wagons are seen with a shunter, at 1:51 with the big locomotive (with tender)
and at 0:02:40 - 0:02:50 the fast train with miss marple overtakes a slower on with a tank locomotive

When I know what to look for, I can go bargain hunting for those passenger trains
=================
have a disney day

Alexander

ntpntpntp

00:56 looks like a British rail  (ex-GW) pannier tank of some class or other.   Graham Farish 94xx maybe (seems the closest N model based on the style of the steam dome and firebox area)?

I can't make out the loco at 1:50

2:40 ish looks like a British Rail 4MT with early crest, which Graham Farish offer as 372-535:

Someone with better knowledge should be able to suggest the coach types?

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Claude Dreyfus

Well, it is set (and filmed) on the GWR main line out of Paddington.
The pilot is a 94xx, but the train engine looks to be a Hall (the pipe the the cylinders from the boiler (not sure of the technical term!) is straight, which rules out the King or more obvious Castle. Stock looks to be a mixture, including mark 1s.

It does, however looks to be bit of a cut and paste job with the editing, as departure from 'Paddington' has the train engine with a tender and a trailing wheel (looking more LMS), the suddenly turns into what I think is the Hall, then looses the tender completely becoming the tank engine.

Oh yes, and the stock completely from chocolate and cream marks 1s to suburban stock.

NinOz

To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Bob G

The 94xx's were used on ECS and suburban workings in the Paddington area.
I too thought there was a cut to a different region when the train left. Definitely an LMS or LNER design (I'm not up on these so it would be a guess).
The Standard 4MT has probably recently replaced a 61xx large prairie on the suburban run from Paddington to Reading/Oxford.

The train that passes her window is in mirror image, as the number is there but is flipped.

It actually reads 2221 which is a Collett 0-6-0. The cab is definitely GWR and the number of washout plugs on the smokebox is correct at three (Halls have four)

Here is the Peco Collett

Hope this helps
Bob

Bob G

Quote from: Newportnobby on December 26, 2018, 10:00:07 AM
D.C.I. Bob is on the case. Good work :thumbsup:

I always wanted to be in forensics. Now I do forensic environmental management consulting. aka spreadsheets :)

Bob

weave

Hi Alexander(for the question) and ntpntpntp (for the link),

I know nothing about the question asked but just to say Thank You for the posts as haven't seen the film before. Started watching last night and got intrigued. I was a bit Christmas merried so finished watching this morning. Very enjoyable.

Cheers weave  :beers:

joe cassidy

Weave I think Jimi Hendrix wrote the song Purple Haze for you!

Bonnes fêtes,

Joe

AlexanderJesse

Thanks for all answers.
In a post in the German forum "Drehscheibe Online" I found a link to another German website "Eisenbahn im Film" ( http://www.eisenbahn-im-film.de/eif1.htm ) and there was a link to a specific page on the "Murder she said" ( http://www.eisenbahn-im-film.de/info/murder.htm ). On that page the following locos are noted:
in the station: an ex-GWR tender 2-6-2 of the type 5101
Fast trains: ex-GWR Kings (4-6-0)
Surpassing scene: an ex-GWR type 1000 County Class and a tank 2-6-2
Gulfing scene: a BR D16/8
=================
have a disney day

Alexander

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34