An Eventful Christmas at Trevelver Castle

Started by Chris in Prague, December 28, 2023, 08:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris in Prague and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Chris in Prague

[I apologise for not creating a timeline for all the events of Christmas Eve 1962. I now realise that far too many events happen in the evening. However, it's too late to rewrite all the entries. So, let's put it down to an unexpected time dilution side-effect of all the advanced digital equipment which Susan Foreman, the Doctor's granddaughter, has installed for the concerts!]

Chris in Prague

As they made their way back to the Christmas Party, Lord Trevelver glanced at his wife, a furrow of concern creasing his magnificent brow. "Penny, my dear, do you ever wonder if we're doing the right thing?" he asked quietly, his voice tinged with uncertainty.

Lady Penelope sighed softly; her gaze fixed on the flickering candle-lit lanterns adorning the castle corridors. "I understand your apprehension, my love", she replied, her tone gentle yet firm. "But we cannot ignore the turmoil that Sophie and Riccardo's relationship has caused, not just for them but for everyone around them."

Lord Trevelver nodded, his thoughts returning to the conversations and interventions they had orchestrated in the hope of steering Sophie and Riccardo onto a more stable course. "I know", he murmured, a hint of frustration colouring his response. "But, sometimes, I can't help but feel as though we're meddling where we shouldn't be."

His wife placed a reassuring hand on his arm, offering him a comforting smile. "We're simply trying to guide them towards happiness, Charles", she said gently. "And sometimes, that requires a bit of intervention."

Lord Trevelver sighed, feeling the weight of their responsibilities as hosts and parents whose beloved daughter had only been returned to full health thanks to the intrepid couple in question. "I just hope we're not making things worse", he confessed quietly.

Lady Penelope squeezed his arm affectionately. "We're all doing what we believe is right", she assured him. "And in the end, that's all we can do." With that, they continued their journey back to the festivities, their hearts weighted with uncertainty yet hopeful for a brighter future for the couple and, now, also for Lisa Silverwood.

As the trio followed behind on their way from Lord Trevelver's study towards the Great Hall, Jeremy's brow was similarly furrowed with contemplation as he glanced at the woman he loved. "Sylvie, have you fully considered the implications of our involvement in these three people's lives?" he asked softly, his voice edged with uncertainty.

Sylvia paused; her expression thoughtful as she mulled over Jeremy's question. "Jeremy, I completely understand your reservations", she replied, her tone composed yet resolute. "Indeed, they are very valid and do you great credit. Sophie and Riccardo are grown-up adults. However, hearing Riccardo's conversation with Lisa has only reinforced the importance of our intervention. It feels incredibly worthwhile."

Elayne nodded in agreement; her demeanour serious as she echoed her friend's sentiments. "Definitely, our role in guiding Sophie, Riccardo, and Lisa towards resolution is very important," she said, her voice steady. "Even though we may not be sure about the direction we are steering them in, we are making every effort to help them because we care about them."

Jeremy sighed, grappling with the weight of their responsibilities as confidants and close friends. "I just hope we're not overstepping our bounds", he confessed quietly. "It feels like we're steaming ahead at full speed when, in such personal matters, it's crucial that we proceed with caution."

Sylvia reached out, gently placing her hand on Jeremy's arm. "Jeremy, my love, we may all be navigating uncharted waters, but we're doing so with empathy and understanding, and we're steering that course together", she reassured him tenderly. "Our intentions arise from our sincere desire to help Riccardo and Sophie, to whom I owe so very much, find lasting happiness."

"Yes, of course, my dearest, we will be forever in Riccardo and Sophie's debt for what they achieved against all odds", Jeremy stated, giving Sylvia a quick hug while Eli squeezed her left hand.

With a renewed sense of purpose, the three intimate friends continued side by side on their way to the crowded Great Hall, their hearts filled with hope for positive outcomes and cautious confidence in their collective efforts.

Chris in Prague

After banking the pine log fire, extinguishing the lights, and locking the study door behind them, the middle-aged couple strolled, arm in arm, from Lord Trevelver's study to their apartment within the castle. However, the Head Butler could not shake off the weight of concern that settled heavily on his shoulders. Glancing at his wife, his expression mirrored his inner turmoil. "Gwen, do you ever question the wisdom of our involvement in such personal matters?" he asked quietly, his loyalty to Lord Trevelver evident in his tone.

The Castle's Housekeeper sighed; her gaze thoughtful as she considered his question. "Huw, I understand and appreciate your reservations", she replied with her soft Welsh lilt, her voice gentle yet resolute. "But after speaking at length with Riccardo, Lady Penelope and I are convinced that our united intervention is the only way to ensure lasting happiness for our two esteemed guests. We must help guide Sophie and Riccardo towards a resolution, even if it means making them face the reality that their tempestuous relationship is unsustainable."

Huw slowly nodded, acknowledging his wife's insight. He could not deny the weight of responsibility they carried, even given Lady Penelope's customary lead in matters of the heart. "I suppose you're right", he admitted quietly. "And if it helps bring about a positive outcome, then perhaps it's worth the risk. But", he continued, his concern evident in his wrinkled brow, "I can't help but worry, my dear, not only about the propriety of our actions but also about the uncertainty of their consequences", he confessed, the dignified authority of his voice tinged with uncharacteristic apprehension. "And now, with our intervention in young Miss Silverwood's life, it feels even more complex and uncertain", he sighed.

Gwen placed a comforting hand on his arm, her touch reassuring. "I understand, Huw, my love", she responded softly. "We are, after all, dealing with individual human beings who are complex and unpredictable. But we can't ignore the fact that Riccardo's actions, no matter how at least partly justifiable, have left Miss Silverwood heartbroken and feeling alone and abandoned, especially during this Christmastime. It's our duty and our responsibility to ensure that all the parties involved find closure and, ultimately, happiness."

Huw sighed, torn between his loyalty to Lord Trevelver and his instinctive distaste for meddling in the intimate affairs of others. "I just hope we're all doing what's right", he murmured as they paused while he unlocked the door of his pantry. A careful examination showed that no new confidential communications from Admiral Tregowan awaited him.

Chris in Prague

After he had relocked the door of the butler's pantry, Gwen squeezed Huw's arm gently. "We're doing what Lady Penelope and I sincerely believe is best for everyone involved, my dear", she reassured him. "And sometimes, that means making difficult decisions for the greater good." With a shared glance of understanding, they continued on their way to their apartment, their minds filled with uncertainty yet resolved to see their efforts through to the end.

As they walked, both Huw reflected that, in matters of the heart, Gwen would always play the leading role alongside Lady Penelope, while Lord Charles and he much preferred dealing with matters of the mind. Huw found some comfort, though, in the knowledge that their employers had authorised the illegal recording of Riccardo's conversation with the distraught Lisa in her Chelsea flat. They clearly recognised the gravity of the situation and the imperative for intervention.

The couple's conversation turned to lighter topics as they reached their tastefully furnished apartment. Reaching for the bunch of keys which hung from the belt under her apron, Gwen unlocked the dark oak door into the inner hallway before passing into the central living room with its plush furnishings and elegant accents. Its carpet was decorated in warm hues of burgundy and gold. The substantial central fireplace contained a beech log fire which crackled and spat, although the wood burnt well, casting a soft glow across the room.

To the couple's right, spaced between the polished dark oak doors to the main dining room with its small but perfectly equipped adjoining kitchen and that to the bathroom beyond was a small dining area with a pair of upholstered chairs. The table was set with fine china and crystal glasses, ready for their early Christmas morning breakfast. Ahead of them, to the right of the central hearth, were the double doors to their spacious bedroom, with its inner doors leading to the adjacent bathroom and separate lavatory.

The apartment was the epitome of quiet elegance. Its walls were adorned with soft, muted tones, complemented by tasteful artwork that bestowed sophistication upon the space. Large arched windows bathed the room in natural light, providing attractive vistas of the castle grounds and the surrounding countryside. Every piece of furniture and decorative feature had been meticulously chosen to reflect Huw and Gwen's refined taste and enduring appreciation for timeless elegance. It was a place where they could retreat from the bustling activity of the castle and enjoy moments of quiet tranquillity together.

In the centre of the living area, the grand fireplace stood as a focal point, its marble mantle adorned with framed family photographs and carefully chosen heirlooms, reflecting Huw and Gwen's shared history and cherished memories. Luxurious floor-length curtains in rich burgundy fabric framed the tall windows, adding warmth and cosiness to the space.

The twin wooden doors to the adjacent elegantly appointed dining room stood open, revealing its polished red oak table and upholstered chairs, where Huw and Gwen enjoyed intimate meals together or, far less frequently, with close friends and visiting family members. A crystal chandelier suspended from the living room ceiling added a touch of glamour, casting shimmering reflections across the room.

As they entered the living room, Gwen indicated her need to shower and change out of her work clothes into her evening dress. "I must freshen up before the festivities", she remarked, glancing at her workday attire.

Chris in Prague

Huw chuckled softly, nodding in agreement. "Indeed, my love", he replied, gesturing towards her elegant evening gown hanging just inside the open bedroom door. "You always look stunning, regardless of what you wear, flour and all!"

Gwen smiled, her eyes sweeping over the sophisticated décor that surrounded them, before replying. "You're so lucky, Huw", she remarked teasingly. "You only have to ensure your impeccable attire stays in its usual pristine condition while my workday clothes do not."

Huw chuckled again; contentment evident in his tone as he acknowledged her jest. "Ah, the joys of being a head butler at Christmastime... especially this particular one!", he remarked. "But rest assured, my dear, I'll ensure everything is perfect in the Great Hall."

"Of that, I have not the faintest doubt, my dearest," she grinned before giving him a quick kiss.

"After double-checking the secure communications device in the Butler's Pantry, I'll be downstairs waiting for you in the Great Hall, Gwen. Just making sure everything's running smoothly and all's set for tomorrow's arrival", he smiled.

"Of course", his wife replied before, her eyes sparkling with appreciation, adding. "But before you go, Huw, could you do me a favour?" she asked with a mischievous glint in her eye.

Huw raised an eyebrow in curiosity. "Of course, my dear", he replied, intrigued.

With a coy smile, Gwen motioned towards the steaming scented water she had started running in their luxurious bathroom. "Could you rub my back once I'm settled in the bath?" she requested, her voice full of affectionate anticipation. "As you can detect, I've added lavender bath salts for their soothing properties as well as their delightful fragrance."

Huw's warm smile widened as he nodded. "Of course, my dear", he replied, his affection evident in his voice. "Anything for you. I was planning to don a fresh set of clothes anyway."

Chris in Prague

In the bustling Great Hall below, standing apart from the festive throng, Riccardo was wrestling with conflicting emotions. Ever since their first passionate encounter in his Ligurian vineyard, he had been captivated by the intriguing woman he knew as Lola Franca. But now he was struggling with the growing realisation that their passion, although far from spent, had no future. Nevertheless, despite his best efforts, he could not shake off the longing and sorrow that engulfed him whenever he thought of her.

However, he reminded himself there was someone else, someone who had repeatedly demonstrated a deep affection for him without the tangled web of Lola's complexities. It was time, he told himself, to decide which, if any, woman would best ensure his future happiness. But how could he possibly compare the two in question? With a weary sigh, he took a deep draught of Barolo as he pondered the daunting task ahead.

He had to begin, though, by reviewing, as dispassionately as he was able, Lola Franca. Undeniably, she is a strikingly beautiful 25-year-old woman who commands attention wherever she goes, he told himself. Standing tall at 1.73 meters or 5 feet 8 inches, she possesses a slim yet shapely figure with long, gracefully proportioned limbs. Her glossy black hair, thick and luxurious, frames her oval face adorned with high cheekbones and a slender nose. It cascades down her back in loose waves, adding to her allure. She wears minimal makeup, with just the occasional hint of sea-green eyeshadow and a customary touch of red lipstick, accentuating her natural beauty without overpowering her features. This deliberate choice underscores her confidence and embraces her inherent elegance.

Her dark brown eyes, observant and penetrating, possess a feline quality that speaks of vigilance and a knack for navigating challenging situations. Her sensuous mouth, surprisingly full against her delicate features, is adorned with lipstick that complements her radiant smile. She wears pearls in her ears, adding a touch of refinement to her appearance. Lola's lightly tanned skin and meticulously styled hair, reflecting the latest European fashion trends, further enhance her sophistication.

Confident and self-assured, Lola moves with grace and allure, adept at utilising her beauty and charm to achieve her desires. Behind her captivating facade lies a keen intellect and sharp wit coupled with a quick tongue. As a highly skilled covert agent proficient in both armed and unarmed combat, she fearlessly embraces risks and seeks out new adventures.

With a sigh, he shifts his focus to Lisa. In marked contrast, she is a sweet and gentle 23-year-old woman with a kind and open heart. Her shoulder-length medium blonde hair, reminiscent of the iconic Twiggy whom she so admires, cascades around her heart-shaped face, styled in various ways to her liking. Her large hazel eyes gleam with both intelligence and curiosity. Her slim yet curvaceous frame stands a touch above the average height at 5 feet 4 inches. An infectious smile graces her lips, effortlessly putting those around her at ease. With a keen intellect and a penchant for mystery novels, she possesses both charm and intellect.

However, Riccardo observes that, much like Lola, Lisa exhibits a fearless spirit, embracing challenges and seeking new adventures. Similarly, she possesses a keen curiosity, relishing in unravelling mysteries and immersing herself in diverse cultures while being driven by ambition and diligence. Conversely, unlike Lola, Lisa embodies a refreshing sense of spontaneity and ease, displaying modesty and humility alongside a quiet confidence rooted in calm self-awareness. Her unwavering loyalty and reliability, coupled with a selfless nature prioritising others' well-being, set her apart from the other women Riccardo had known. Above all, Riccardo realises, unlike the worldly-wise and often cynical Lola, Lisa is a romantic at heart who dreams of finding true love and living happily ever after.

As he contemplates Lisa, Riccardo senses a stirring of unfamiliar emotions within him. Lisa, unlike Lola, has a special charm – young and quiet but lively when you get to know her better. Despite his growing attraction towards Lisa, he still grappled with lingering feelings for Lola, a conflict that weighed heavily on his conscience. With the younger woman's imminent arrival at Trevelver Castle, Riccardo found himself in a dangerous position. He dreaded the prospect of hurting Lola by displaying affection towards Lisa in public, yet he understood Lisa's anticipation of his open affection, particularly during the festive season. He let out a weary sigh, acknowledging the complexity of his emotions and took another draught of Barolo.

Nevertheless, amidst his inner turmoil, Riccardo could not ignore the growing fondness he felt for Lisa. Already he was eagerly anticipating their time together over Christmas and New Year. Kissing under the many bunches of mistletoe to be found around the Great Hall came quickly to mind. Yet it did not approach the passion that still burned within him for Lola. Standing alone, empty wine glass in hand, looking out of one of the Great Hall's tall arched windows into the moonlight, he wondered what lay ahead. Only time would reveal what fate had in store for him.

Chris in Prague

Giles Roskrow had found himself unexpectedly detained in London on Christmas Eve due to a delay in his latest shipment of fine Italian wines. The delay was caused by problems at his Italian consolidator's warehouse in Milan, where his trusted agent had encountered unexpected hurdles at the local customs office, slowing down the processing of the necessary export documentation. As a result, the shipment's arrival at London's Hither Green Continental Depot, in a waiting BR 'Ferry Van', was continually delayed. Giles was torn between the urgency of resolving the shipment issue and his desire to depart the city and join his friends already gathered at Trevelver Castle on board the next express train to the Southwest from either Waterloo or Paddington.

As Giles anxiously monitored the situation from his office, he quickly decided that his personal intervention was necessary to quickly solve these problems. With some of his most important clients eagerly anticipating the arrival of the meticulously curated Italian wines for their Christmas and New Year celebrations, he could not afford to leave anything to chance. He fired off a succession of urgent telegrams followed by increasingly pleading telephone calls, determined to ensure the timely delivery of the precious cargo.

The wines, much sought-after Barolo, Amarone, and Brunello di Montalcino vintages among them, represented the epitome of Italian winemaking artistry. Sourced from renowned vineyards, they had been scheduled for delivery to London no later than the week before Christmas. Giles had personally recommended these particularly rare and valuable wines based on his discerning palate and extensive knowledge of the leading winemakers.

Driven by his unwavering dedication to delivering exceptional quality and service, Giles understood that his reputation as London's leading vintner depended on swiftly resolving the delay. Despite all the festive distractions, Giles accordingly focused all his time and energy on coordinating with his Italian counterpart and other continental as well as BR contacts. His aim to ensure the quickest possible delivery of the prized wines to his discerning clientele. This involved arranging for the fastest possible Grande Vitesse (General Goods) service from Milan to the rail ferry link from Dunkerque to Dover and then on to Hither Green.

As the tense days and hours sped by, Giles remained steadfast in his determination to overcome each and every obstacle. With his clients' expectations teetering on the brink, Giles knew he could not afford to rest until the precious cargo of rare and valuable Italian wines had safely reached London's import depot. Only then could they be made available to adorn the tables of esteemed connoisseurs for the impending festive celebrations.

Finally, on the evening of December 23rd, the much-delayed BR 'Ferry Van' had arrived safely at Hither Green Continental Depot with its contents inspected and cleared by UK Customs in record time, perhaps not unassociated with the recent arrival of elegant Christmas gift boxes of particularly fine malt whiskies at the homes of senior officials, and the meticulous paperwork prepared by Giles's diligent new PA, Amanda Morgan, before her departure the day before from Waterloo to Cant Cove and thence Trevelver Castle. All the following day, relieved clients arrived at Giles' Chelsea emporium to collect their orders until the only crates of prized wines left were those earmarked for his clients in North Cornwall. However, with snow blocking the rails and roads to the Southwest, how was he to get them there?

Chris in Prague

Late Christmas Eve afternoon, as the winter sun began its descent, casting long shadows across the deserted streets of Chelsea, with the final crates collected by his London clients, Giles Roskrow could finally close up shop at 4 p.m. With a grateful sigh, he reached for the 'Closed' sign and was about to hang it in the door when the shrill ring of the back-office telephone shattered the quiet.

Cursing softly, Giles hesitated a moment before picking up the receiver. "Roskrow's Fine Wines and Spirits", he answered, his voice betraying a hint of weariness.

"Hello, Giles, it's Jeremy", came the familiar, cheery voice on the other end. "I hope I'm not catching you at a bad time."

Giles perked up at the sound of his friend's voice. "Not at all, Jeremy. I was just about to close up. What can I do for you?"

"I'm in a bit of a bind", Jeremy quickly explained. "I need the address of a Miss Lisa Silverwood's flat in Chelsea. I'm hoping that she's in your client register."

Giles furrowed his brow in thought. "Ah, yes, I have it right here", he replied, flipping through the pages of the register taken from under the counter. "Got it. I'll give it to you in just a moment. Can you, first, tell me what's this all about, old chap? She's not only a client of mine but a good friend."

"Thank you, Giles. I appreciate it", Jeremy quickly replied. "Listen, I need you to pass on an urgent message to Miss Silverwood. Tell her she's got a car coming to pick her up around thirteen hundred hours tomorrow, Christmas Day. She's to pack just a small overnight bag as her hand luggage. On Admiral Tregowan's orders, you are to collect her in a Royal Navy staff car, which will wait for you outside your home to take you to her flat. She knows you, so it won't be a shock for her when an official car draws up in the mews and you knock on her front door. You're to accompany her to RAF Northolt, where the Admiral has arranged for a waiting Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Westland Whirlwind to take her to Trevelver Castle. ETA sixteen hundred hours. Bring your identity card."

Giles blinked in surprise at this completely unexpected news. "Jeremy, that's quite the plan", he remarked, impressed. "What's all this about, may I ask? Why is Miss Silverwood getting such VIP treatment?"

Jeremy chuckled. "Let's just say there are a few surprises in store for Miss Silverwood. It's all part of the Christmas magic, my friend."

Giles could not help but smile at his friend's enthusiasm. "Well, count me intrigued, Jeremy. I'll pass on the message right away. I hope that she's at home on Christmas Eve."

"If she's not, you must hand deliver a signed note on your company notepaper, Giles, understood?"

"Affirmative, Jeremy. I will do what is ordered, and at every command, I will be ready!"

"Very good, Giles, and... Merry Christmas. I'm very sorry that you won't be joining us here. There is someone special who I know will especially miss you!" Then, before Giles could respond, Jeremy put down the receiver.

Hanging up the 'phone, Giles' excitement was combined with considerable curiosity. However, he smiled, Jeremy's unexpected call had not only solved an urgent problem for his friend and their sometimes commander, but also offered a solution to two of his own.

Chris in Prague

As the twilight descended on Christmas Eve, Giles Roskrow remained alone in his cosy office behind his darkened shop, surrounded by the familiar scent of aged oak and fine wines. The antique clock on the wall ticked softly, marking the passage of time as Giles turned his attention to the locked drawer in his desk.

With practised hands, Giles retrieved the small brass key from his pocket and inserted it into the keyhole, the tumblers clicking into place with a satisfying sound. He paused for a moment, taking in the significance of what lay within the drawer.

Inside, nestled among documents and keepsakes, was the secure line communication device—a reminder of his years in the Special Air Service. Giles carefully lifted the device from its velvet-lined compartment, a surge of memories flooding back as he cradled it in his hands.

With a sense of purpose, Giles powered on the device, the soft glow of the indicator lights illuminating the dimly lit room. He navigated the familiar controls with ease, fingers dancing over the buttons as he composed a brief message to Huw in Trevelver Castle.

"URGENT: Jeremy to call ASAP on secure line. Important matter. Giles."

With a final press of the send button, Giles watched as the message transmitted through the secure channels, disappearing into the ether with a faint buzz. He leaned back in his chair, a sense of anticipation tingling in the air as he awaited Jeremy's call, knowing that whatever lay ahead would undoubtedly shape the course of their Christmas Day.

As Huw unlocked the door to his office, the Butler's Pantry, he noticed a faint glow emanating from the secure communication device nestled on his desk. With a sense of urgency, he quickly entered and softly but firmly closed the heavy door behind him, the familiar scent of polished wood and aged paper enveloping him.

Making his way to the device, Huw saw the message light flashing, indicating an incoming communication. Without hesitation, he pressed the 'PRINT' button, allowing the urgent message from Giles to be transcribed onto a tiny sheet of paper for the recipient's immediate attention.

Once the message was safely in an inner pocket, Huw carefully relocked the heavy oak door, ensuring the security of his office before walking along the dimly lit corridors of Trevelver Castle. With purposeful strides, he made his way to the Great Hall, where he found Captain Jeremy seated at a table for four with Sylvia and Eli, enjoying freshly made turkey club sandwiches.

The aroma of roasted turkey and crispy bacon filled the air, mingling with the fragrant notes of lettuce, tomato, and creamy mayonnaise. Each sandwich was expertly crafted by one of the young girls, with layers of flavour and texture that promised a satisfying meal.

Accompanying the large plate of sandwiches were three side plates adorned with potato crisps, pickles, and coleslaw, adding a delightful crunch and tang to the ensemble. Three glasses of Sauvignon Blanc stood nearby with the open bottle resting in a silver ice bucket, its chilled contents the perfect accompaniment to the sumptuous sandwiches.

As Huw joined the three friends, he smiled fondly at the scene before him—a moment of camaraderie and respite amidst the exuberant Christmas celebrations of the other guests. However, with Giles's urgent message in his waistcoat pocket, he knew that this peaceful scene was about to be interrupted by a matter of importance.

Chris in Prague

As the late evening of Christmas Eve settled upon Trevelver Castle, the Great Hall was bathed in the soft glow of flickering candlelight, casting dancing shadows across the faces of the three friends seated around the dark oak table. Eli added a touch of Celtic charm among her two dark brown-haired English companions; her pale skin, freckles, marigold blue eyes, long, flowing auburn hair, and lively, extrovert personality a testament to her Breton heritage.

As Huw settled into the empty seat beside Jeremy, he greeted the group with a warm smile, nodding at the tantalising spread of sandwiches and accompaniments before them.

"Good evening, everyone. I hope you're all enjoying the festivities and the food and drink", he remarked, his voice full of warmth.

Sylvia returned his smile, her eyes sparkling with holiday cheer.

"Absolutely, Huw. The atmosphere here is simply magical; my congratulations to you and your wife", she replied, reaching for her glass of Sauvignon Blanc and taking a sip. "And these sandwiches are simply divine, aren't they?"

Eli nodded in agreement, her expression reflecting contentment as she savoured a bite of the turkey club sandwich.

"Indeed, they are. A perfect combination of flavours", she responded appreciatively. "We're just enjoying some time together after an intensive session of meeting and greeting", she smiled.

"Yes", added Sylvia, "despite the heavy snow, my parents are very gratified by the turnout".

Jeremy, ever the gracious host, gestured towards the array of food and drink. "Please, help yourself, Huw. There's plenty to go around", he offered, his gaze shifting to the Trevelver's formidable Head Butler with curiosity. "So, Huw, what brings you to us at this hour? Everything alright? I can't see any problems, here", he gestured to the hall full of happy dancing couples.

Huw took a moment to gather his thoughts before responding, mindful of the urgency of Giles's message.

"Actually, Jeremy, I have just received an urgent message from Giles", he began, his tone serious, handing over the tiny, printed piece of paper. "As you can read, he's asked for you to call him ASAP on the secure line. Seems to be a matter of importance."

Despite the late hour, Eli remained attentive, her multilingual abilities allowing her to effortlessly navigate the conversation in both French and French-accented English. Her soft-spoken words carried a gentle lilt reminiscent of the rolling hills of her homeland.

The mention of Giles's message piqued the three friends' interest, and Sylvia leaned forward slightly, her expression concerned. "Is everything alright? Giles doesn't usually message us like this unless it's something really urgent", she remarked, her voice tinged with worry.

Chris in Prague

As Huw relayed Giles's urgent message, Eli's brow furrowed with concern, her expressive blue eyes reflecting a mix of curiosity and apprehension. "Qu'est-ce qui se passe, Huw?" she inquired in her melodic Breton-accented French, her voice tinged with a hint of worry.

Huw met Eli's gaze; his own concern mirrored in her expressive blue eyes. "Je ne sais pas, Eli", he replied in schoolboy French, his tone measured yet determined, before switching to English. "But whatever it is, Giles believes it to be of great importance."

"Sylvi's right. Giles wouldn't contact us without reason", Eli responded.

Huw nodded in agreement, his gaze shifting between the three companions. "That's true. It must be something very important for him to contact us, especially on Christmas Eve", he replied, his mind full of possibilities.

Sylvia and Jeremy listened intently, their understanding of French allowing them to follow the conversation with ease. Sensing the gravity of the situation, Sylvia reached out, placing a reassuring hand on Eli's arm. "We'll figure this out together", she stated in English, her voice filled with determination. "Giles knows he can rely on us. Please don't worry, Eli; I'm sure that Giles is in no danger."

"I had best call Giles, now", announced Jeremy. "I think it would be best if you accompany me, Huw."

With a sense of shared resolve, the group exchanged knowing looks, silently acknowledging the importance of Giles's message. As, with a nod of agreement from the Head Butler, Jeremy and Huw rose from the table, Eli returned Sylvia's reassuring smile, their expression of solidarity reaffirming the bond between them. As they continued to enjoy their meal, Sylia and Elayne speculated about the nature of Giles's urgent request; their thoughts united in anticipation of assisting in any new task that lay ahead. As the clock struck midnight, marking the arrival of Christmas Day, they were united in their resolve to confront whatever challenges lay ahead.

Chris in Prague

As Jeremy picked up the receiver of the secure telephone, he could sense Giles's anticipation on the other end of the line. "Giles, it's Jeremy", he announced, his voice steady despite the unusual situation.

"I'm glad you called, Jeremy", Giles replied, a hint of relief evident in his tone. "I've been trying to reach you all evening. From my contacts, it seems there's been a bit of a mix-up regarding the emergency supplies for North Cornwall."

Jeremy's brow furrowed in concern. "What do you mean, Giles?" he asked, leaning in closer to the 'phone.

"Well, after making some calls to trusted contacts, I discovered that no one seems to know anything about any relief supplies to be transported by helicopter anywhere, but a very select few do know about a Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Westland Whirlwind arriving and then departing from RAF Northolt, a rather mystifying occurrence on Christmas Day!" Giles added, emphasising the unusual nature of the situation.

"Very interesting", his friend responded. "Thank you for alerting us, Giles."

"Getting hold of anyone in the know late on Christmas Eve wasn't easy, Jeremy; I can tell you that", Giles explained, his voice tinged with frustration.

Jeremy's mind raced as he processed Giles's words. "That's certainly rather concerning", he remarked, his tone serious. "Admiral Tregowan's planning is usually meticulous. We need to ensure Miss Silverwood's safe departure from Northolt and arrival here and figure out what's going on with these supplies.

"Exactly", Giles agreed, his resolve unwavering. "I'll keep trying to gather more information from my end, Jeremy. In the meantime, let's stay in touch and coordinate our efforts to get to the bottom of this ASAP. I'll be sleeping in the flat over my office instead of in my new penthouse."

With a shared determination to resolve the mystery before them, Jeremy and Giles exchanged a few more words of reassurance before ending the call, their minds already focussed on the task at hand.

Chris in Prague

After the 'phone call with Giles, Jeremy and Huw swiftly made their way back to the Great Hall. Upon their return, they spotted Lord Trevelver standing by the massive fireplace, deeply engrossed in conversation with Sylvia and Eli. Jeremy's expression conveyed the urgency of the situation as he approached them. As he neared them, he distinctly caught the words, belly dancing mentioned by Sylvia.

"Lord Charles", Jeremy began, his voice carrying a sense of urgency, "we've just received some concerning news regarding the relief supplies for North Cornwall. Giles Roskrow informed us that there seems to be some uncertainty regarding their existence, let alone their delivery."

Lord Trevelver's brow furrowed slightly at Jeremy's words, his keen gaze shifting between Jeremy and Huw as they instinctively stepped away from the two young women. "Indeed?" he replied, his tone reflecting his immediate attention to the matter. "This warrants further investigation. Let us three convene in my study."

Once inside his secure, soundproofed study, a room reserved for confidential discussions and strategic planning, Jeremy passed over Giles's message, detailing the confusion surrounding the relief supplies. Lord Trevelver, settled into his high-backed chair behind the ornate desk, studied the paper intently, his expression thoughtful. After handing back the paper to his daughter's boyfriend, he steepled his hands under his chin, his brow furrowing as he considered the implications.

"Based on my many years of experience with Admiral Tregowan", Lord Trevelver began, his voice measured and authoritative, "there are three likely reasons for this seeming uncharacteristic confusion."

He paused, gathering his thoughts before continuing. "Let us review the possibilities. Firstly, Admiral Tregowan is known for his discretion and often keeps sensitive matters confidential to prevent any potential security breaches and, therefore, intentionally kept the details of the relief supplies and the Westland Whirlwind highly confidential due to the sensitive nature of the mission. Thus, it was for security reasons, to prevent any potential interception or interference from external parties."

"Secondly", he added, "the urgency of the situation may have left little time for widespread communication and coordination about the mission. And lastly", Lord Trevelver added, his expression deepening with understanding, "the absence of his indispensable assistant, Dorothea, during this critical time would undoubtedly have impacted the Admiral's ability to manage his responsibilities effectively. He would have had to grant Dorothea a holiday from the 24th to the 26th, inclusive, as an absolute minimum."

Jeremy and Huw exchanged knowing glances, recognising the significance of the absence of Admiral Tregowan's trusted assistant, Dorothea, during this critical time. Her absence undoubtedly would have contributed to the oversight, leaving him without his customary support and assistance. With Lord Charles's insights into Admiral Tregowan, they felt better equipped to address the issue and find a resolution.

"It seems the convergence of these factors may well have led to this regrettable oversight", Lord Charles concluded, his tone tinged with a hint of concern. His analysis drew nods of agreement from Jeremy and Huw, who recognised the wisdom gleaned from their mentor's years of experience.

"Nevertheless, we must address this issue promptly to ensure the safety and well-being of all involved, especially given the urgency of the situation. Let us work together to rectify this oversight", Lord Trevelver declared, his voice resolute.

With renewed determination, the group set out to devise a plan of action; their collective efforts focused on resolving the mystery surrounding the missing relief supplies and ensuring Miss Silverwood's safe journey to Trevelver Castle.

"After all, it is not as though there were no other pressing matters demanding the Admiral's attention", Lord Trevelver began, his voice measured and serious as he addressed Jeremy and Huw in his study. "These are tumultuous times we live in, with the spectre of nuclear conflict looming large over the world. The recent events in Cuba have shown us just how precarious the situation truly is."

He paused, allowing the weight of his words to sink in before continuing. "The Admiral is undoubtedly under immense pressure to navigate these treacherous waters and safeguard our national security. It is no surprise that certain operational details may have been kept confidential for security reasons or, even, exceptionally, overlooked."

Lord Charles leaned forward, his gaze piercing as he addressed his companions. "However, the absence of Dorothea, the Admiral's trusted assistant, during this critical time would undoubtedly have added to the strain. Her expertise and meticulous attention to detail would have been sorely missed in such times."

He sighed, a hint of frustration creeping into his voice. "Yet, despite these challenges, we must remain vigilant and resourceful. A possible solution has come to mind, but it requires consultation with my wife, who is currently mingling with our guests in the Great Hall." He sighed. "Anyone paying any kind of attention must be wondering why different combinations of people keep coming and going this evening instead of giving themselves over to uninterrupted enjoyment!"

With a determined nod, Lord Trevelver rose from his chair, his posture commanding respect. "Let us not waste any time, gentlemen. We must act swiftly and decisively to unravel this mystery and ensure the safety of Miss Silverwood and the success of our mission."

Chris in Prague

As Lord Trevelver, Jeremy, and Huw approached Lady Trevelver, they found her engrossed in animated conversation with José Maria de La Vega, Mayor of San Cristofol, in the Principality of Izaro, Sofia de La Vega, José's daughter, and Xurde Valdez, the Mayor of Tutera. The group seemed deep in discussion, their voices blending together in a lively exchange.

With a subtle glance, Lord Charles conveyed to his wife the urgency of their situation. Though wordless, his expression spoke volumes, urging her to gracefully disengage from their guests and join them.

Lady Penelope, ever astute, caught her husband's silent cue. With practised finesse, she gracefully interrupted the conversation, expressing her regret but explaining the need for a brief moment away. José and Sofia de La Vega exchanged understanding nods while Xurde Valdez offered a polite smile, sensing the gravity of the situation.

With a murmured apology and a graceful farewell, Lady Penelope excused herself from the group, her poise unwavering as she followed Lord Charles, Jeremy, and Huw out of the room. Though their departure was abrupt, it was done with such tact and diplomacy that it went unnoticed by the other guests nearby, who continued their conversations without interruption.

With a sense of urgency, all five of them convened in Huw's secure office, the atmosphere charged with anticipation. Lord Charles, his expression tinged with a wry grin, addressed his wife directly.

"My dear", he began, his voice laced with a mixture of amusement and resolve, "you well know how much I dislike being in anyone's debt, particularly when that someone is the Admiral."

Lady Penelope met her husband's gaze with a knowing look, silently acknowledging the truth of his statement. With a nod, she encouraged him to continue.

"Well, Penny", Lord Charles continued, his tone taking on a more serious note, "it seems, for perfectly understandable reasons, the good Admiral has omitted to arrange something rather important."

Lady Penelope raised an eyebrow, her expression questioning. "Are you absolutely sure about this, Charles?" she inquired, her tone tinged with caution. "That sounds most unlike him!"

Lord Charles nodded; his resolve unwavering. "Pretty certain, my dear", he replied, his gaze unwavering. "But further enquiries are being urgently made, courtesy of Giles."

With a shared understanding of the task at hand, Lord Charles turned to address the group, his tone resolute. "There's an opportunity for us to arrange the missing supply of relief supplies", he explained, his voice steady. "But I'll need your assistance, my dear," he added, directing his words to Lady Penelope.

With a nod of agreement, Lady Penelope nodded, her determination matching that of her husband's. Together, they would overcome the challenges ahead, drawing upon their combined strengths to ensure the success of their mission.

Chris in Prague

With a decisive nod, Lord Charles dismissed Huw and Jeremy, stating that their presence was required in the Great Hall. "Huw, Jeremy, if you would be so kind as to attend to our guests in the Great Hall while my wife and I are unavoidably detained", he said, his tone firm but courteous. "We'll handle things from here."

Jeremy and Huw, ever attentive to Lord Charles's words, nodded in unison, their expressions reflecting both concern and readiness for action.

"But, first, gentlemen, one more task, on your way down to the Great Hall ... Jeremy", Lord Charles continued as Jeremy and Huw rose from their chairs and headed for the door, his gaze fixing on the younger man, "I need you to accompany Huw to his pantry. From there, you will make a call to Giles on the secure line and impress on him the importance of double-checking that there are no relief supplies being organised and inform him that this discrepancy will be remedied by us, but we will need his assistance and emphasise that he will require the assistance of one of his trusted associates, Jim Tremayne, who is to report for duty on Christmas Day, with a suitable borrowed vehicle."

Jeremy, ever the dutiful aide, nodded in acknowledgement, understanding the gravity of the task assigned to him. "Affirmative, Lord Charles. I will do what is ordered, and at every command, I will be ready!" he replied, his voice steady with resolve. "I will ensure that Giles is fully informed and that Jim Tremayne is prepared to answer the call of duty."

Lord Charles offered a brief but appreciative nod, acknowledging Jeremy's commitment to the tasks. "Thank you, Jeremy," he said, his tone conveying both gratitude and expectation. "Your swift action will be instrumental in successfully resolving this matter."

Turning his attention to Huw, Lord Charles issued a final instruction. "Now, Huw", he said, his voice unwavering, "once Jeremy has made that call to Giles, I need you to return to the Great Hall and attend to matters there. Keep a vigilant eye on proceedings and, with Gwen, ensure that everything continues to run smoothly. Please assure any guest who asks after either of us that, while we have been unavoidably detained on a matter of some urgency, it is nothing that needs to concern them, and we will be rejoining them shortly."

Huw, ever the consummate professional, nodded in understanding, ready to carry out his lord's instructions with precision and efficiency. "Of course, milord", he replied, his tone respectful. "I will see to it that all is in order."

With their respective tasks clear, Jeremy and Huw departed, focused on their individual tasks. Lord Charles watched them go, confident in their abilities and steadfast in his belief that together they would overcome whatever challenges lay ahead.

Then, he turned his attention back to Lady Penelope, his expression serious yet determined. "Now, my dear, let us discuss our plan of action", he said, his voice low but resolute. "One which reverses the position of who is debt to whom in, dare I say, a most satisfactory manner!"

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations