I am as new as can be should Imstart with DC or start with DCC Please advise

Started by GordonW, May 25, 2018, 08:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Newportnobby

@Nick
Fret not. I find it difficult to be serious about much at my point in life and it does confuse folks/get me into trouble quite often ;D

GordonW

Hello everyone

I have read all your comments and realised that I was trying to run before I could walk. It was if I wanted instant model railway up and running with no effort.

I decided earlier that I would go down the dcc route so next it seemed the right to do would be to start with a very simple setup on dcc. temporarily forgetting all about electrically operated points and the like. This would allow me to gain experience.

next what about a controller? One that would do all for the moment but would also do points etc later.  The one I thought about was the gaugemaster Advance prodigy 2, which as it stands will not operate the points but would do so later when I am ready with addition of o extra power supply.

Any thoughts anybody

Regards
Gordon

ntpntpntp

Quote from: GordonW on June 12, 2018, 08:37:37 AM
...next what about a [DCC] controller? One that would do all for the moment but would also do points etc later.  The one I thought about was the gaugemaster Advance prodigy 2, which as it stands will not operate the points but would do so later when I am ready with addition of o extra power supply.

Hi Gordon, this is a question for which you'll always get different answers based on people's own experience and preferences.  There are different designs/style of interface: for example do you like a physical controller with knobs and buttons, or do you like the idea of control via touchscreen phone/tablet?  Definitely try and get to a shop or a show stand with a trader who has different systems set up to try.

Personally I prefer knobs and buttons so would suggest the NCE PowerCab, as a starting point. It's a good starter system with many users and has been around long enough to be "proven".  It will operate accessory decoders for points. Later on you can move up to a more powerful NCE system and use the PowerCab as a second throttle on that system.  That's what I do: we use the PowerCab for my lad's small HOe narrow gauge line, and hook it into my 10 amp PowerPro system for my garden line.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Nick

I have read all your comments and realised that I was trying to run before I could walk. It was if I wanted instant model railway up and running with no effort.
I did wonder... The one indispensable ingredient in building a model railway yourself is effort. The quantities needed should not be underestimated!  ;D Commitment is another biggie.

You really need someone with experience of various different controllers. If I was looking as you are, I think I'd be considering the Prodigy Advance, the NCE Powercab (which I seem to see in exhibitions a lot) or the Digitrax Zephyr Extra (which I like the look of because it actually has knobs to twiddle!  :D)

But I don't have practical experience of any of them.
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

petejones

next what about a controller? One that would do all for the moment but would also do points etc later.  The one I thought about was the gaugemaster Advance prodigy 2, which as it stands will not operate the points but would do so later when I am ready with addition of o extra power supply.

I went for a Prodigy Express, good value at £124 from Hattons when I bought it last year.

Pete

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations