GWR 4500 Tank Class

Started by TimR, December 19, 2018, 01:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

I also have one of the early ones (ND-013) and it's a quiet and smooth runner. However, there's very little slow speed control and it tends to take off like a jack rabbit.

ten0G

Quote from: Snowwolflair on December 19, 2018, 04:19:34 PM
Be careful buying them second hand, they were a prime example of problem Dapol locos.  So much so they were redesigned resulting in some improvement but not a lot.
:
:
the main problem was wheel on axle slip and loosing quartering

Quote from: ODRAILS on December 19, 2018, 04:55:06 PM
Please provide more detail re: "they were redesigned". I wasn't aware of this.

Is there any way to identify which batches are concerned, please? 

I have a 2S-014-002 which was new and runs fine (although she can't pull much), but I'd be interested to know if it's possible to be selective when seeing earlier used models for sale.

ntpntpntp

I have two early examples, have to admit I'm not overly impressed with them. They look nice but are too light and have poor slow speed control.

One has a replacement motor and was effectively a freebie with a purchase of some Collett coaches as it had died out on the line some time over the 4 days of the Stuttgart show the year Dapol came out with a stand (2006?)
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

TimR

Quote from: Bob G on December 19, 2018, 04:33:03 PM
At least with EBay if it is not as described you can get your money back.
Hattons.co.uk also has a large stock of secondhand. The best ones seem to go very quickly.
KJB Models who advertise on here have always sold good locos at good prices, so look them up too.

HTH
Bob

Thanks Bob, I'll have a look at both of those outlets as well.

Bob G

I don't believe they were redesigned. This is an urban myth not denied by Dapol when they re-ran their "Old tank favourites" a while back.

They reissued the 45xx, Ivatt and M7, but as far as I am concerned they didn't do anything to the drive units to improve matters.

Bob

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Bob G on December 19, 2018, 07:03:17 PM
I don't believe they were redesigned. This is an urban myth not denied by Dapol when they re-ran their "Old tank favourites" a while back.

They reissued the 45xx, Ivatt and M7, but as far as I am concerned they didn't do anything to the drive units to improve matters.

Bob

I hand made two chassis a 2-8-2 and a 2-8-0 form 45xx parts and believe me there was a complete redesign as version 1 bits did not fit with version 2 bits so no Urban myth.

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=33206.msg415037#msg415037

Bob G

Quote from: Snowwolflair on December 19, 2018, 07:18:43 PM

Bob

I hand made two chassis a 2-8-2 and a 2-8-0 form 45xx parts and believe me there was a complete redesign as version 1 bits did not fit with version 2 bits so no Urban myth.

Gosh. So now I need to know which ones are the gooduns. Do you know? e.g. the ones with ND-numbers are all original, the 2S-numbers are new, perhaps?
Bob (super-surprised emoticon)  :o

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Bob G on December 20, 2018, 08:28:06 AM

Bob

Gosh. So now I need to know which ones are the gooduns. Do you know? e.g. the ones with ND-numbers are all original, the 2S-numbers are new, perhaps?

Ask Fiona at DCC Supplies they handle all Dapol spares and should know which is which.

longbow

The 2S- numbers are the newest. Conversion to DCC with appropriate motor settings is an effective way of taming the scalded cat syndrome.

ten0G

I don't think I've seen anything but ND- numbers advertised on eBay, whether new, pre-owned, used or spares/repairs.  These include the batches with the incorrect BR lining. 

Has anyone else noticed 2S- ones anywhere? 

longbow

There were at least four versions released with 2S- prefixes, namely 2S-014-001 though -004

ten0G

Did you have any idea if there was a difference in the motors regards fitting, please? 

I was considering the possibility of buying an ND- pre-owned one on the assumption that if it needed a new motor DCC could supply it, but as they only have one type listed, I need to know if my idea is feasible or not.  Thanks. 

ten0G

Quote from: Bob G on December 20, 2018, 08:28:06 AM

Bob

I have contacted DCC Supplies who say they don't have any relevant information and did not know where it would be available.   :'(

However, they were able to confirm that the 45xx motor they sell is the latest one.  They would not be able to supply an earlier version if it existed. 

Dr Al

Quote from: ten0G on January 11, 2019, 12:06:58 PM
I have contacted DCC Supplies who say they don't have any relevant information and did not know where it would be available.   :'(

However, they were able to confirm that the 45xx motor they sell is the latest one.  They would not be able to supply an earlier version if it existed. 

The motor used in all the 45xx's (of whatever batch) is the same as far as my experience shows - the one on DCC Supplies website will fit any 45xx. The wheels on the 45xxs were retooled, and maybe aspects of the chassis block itself; but I've successfully fitted new motors to the original batch models before (failures being replaced) and they are definitely the same.

However, maybe you could post a photo of your particular loco, minus the bodyshell, to see exactly what is there, and confirm the above?

HTH,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations