GWR O.13 Milk Brake

Started by EtchedPixels, March 01, 2013, 01:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EtchedPixels

Matthew Pinto asked me to look into producing the O.13 milk brake, and he also figured out it could be plonked straight and accurately onto the old Farish four wheel coach chassis (the one you have spare from putting the body on a Stove-R six wheel chassis  :D)

They were built in 1921, apparently from WW1 pharmacy cars (although this is disputed in some circles) and lasted until the 1960s, ending their lives in departmental service including brakedown trains, with one (1399) going to the Severn Valley afterwards.

http://www.steampicturelibrary.com/low.php?xp=media&xm=510916

http://www.flickr.com/photos/svr_enthusiast/4001102402/#

I've worked through the drawings and come up with a design for a kit which would consist of the following.

Polished 3D printed shell with pre-formed ventilator holes
Etched sides to glue on for body plus doors, plus guards door
Etched ends to glue on (one layer for plain two layers including steps for other)
Glue on Trussing and V hangar
Gas cylinder
Vacuum cylinder
Ventilators

The price would be £20 for the kit (not including the chassis). But in order to get that price we would need to sell a minimum of 10 kits.

We are not looking for deposits or anything at this stage but would welcome expressions of interest to see if prodution is going to be feasible.

Please let Matthew or me know if you would be interested in buying one (or more ;) ).

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

GrahamB

I'd be interested although I'm now kicking myself for disposing of the last of my four wheel carriages  :doh:

Wonder if there's an alternative chassis.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

EtchedPixels

Two Peco 15' wagon chassis a hacksaw and some plasticard ought to work. Take one of the chassis saw it in half and splice in a bit of the other one. Remove all the surplus details and glue together with some sort of strengthener then add the footboards.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Jerry Howlett

How about the shredded wheat carriage chassis?  No suitable coupling but though I am not into said design I have one if anybody wants it.
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

GerryB

I would certainly be interested in one, Alan.

Gerry

Karhedron

Quite promising. Between replies on here and on the N gauge yahoo group, we are up to 6.

Just 4 more to go for a viable run.  :claphappy:
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Sea Mills

I might be interested, but know nothing about the prototype.   Why would milk trains need a special brake?   However, I love the look of the SVR example and would consider buying one for departmental use.

David

Karhedron

Quote from: Sea Mills on March 01, 2013, 09:07:35 PM
I might be interested, but know nothing about the prototype.   Why would milk trains need a special brake?   However, I love the look of the SVR example and would consider buying one for departmental use.
Milk trains needed special brake vehicles because they ran at express passenger speeds, otherwise the milk would have gone off by the time it arrived. A Toad would not be rated to run that fast.

One option (which was used widely) was to use an old full-brake that had been cascaded down from express services. However this could be wasteful as a Milk train rarely carried much in the way of luggage or parcels so most of the vehicle was empty.

So the GWR built some small brake vehicles specifically for the purpose. They provided accomodation for the Guard but not much else. (The LMS and LNER both built compact 6-wheeled brakes for these sorts of duties).

I have only found one shot of W1399 in departmental use but it does not seem to have been modified, just painted grey.

If there is demand, I can enquire about getting some transfers made up to suit.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

steam-driven boy

Hi,
I'm certainly up for one, I've a big 'to do' drawer that needs feeding  :-[

Regards, Gerry.
...being a bear of very little brain...

GerryB

Quote from: Karhedron on March 01, 2013, 09:15:06 PM

That would make life much easier, and would be much appreciated.  :thumbsup:

Gerry

Tim E

I would also be interested in one for departmental use.  Add me to the list  :thumbsup:

alibuchan

Hi,

Put me down for one.

Cheers

Alistair

Karhedron

Quote from: Karhedron on March 01, 2013, 09:15:06 PM
Looks like Cambridge Custom Transfers already produce a sheet for these vehicles. Sheet C85.

http://www.cctrans.freeserve.co.uk/products.htm

ToothFairy

If you're willing to ship to the antipodes, put me down for one (and of course I'll pay postage).

- Michael

Karhedron

Quote from: ToothFairy on March 03, 2013, 07:25:32 AM
If you're willing to ship to the antipodes, put me down for one (and of course I'll pay postage).
Sounds fair enough.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations