The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewalker

Quote from: Snowwolflair on July 18, 2022, 10:51:09 PM
Quote from: stevewalker on July 18, 2022, 10:45:34 PM
I've been saying for some time that we need government document handling offices in cities, where anyone can go, have their documents scanned and forwarded to government agencies and business as required, rather than sending physical documents off in the post, hoping that they arrive and that they don't end up in massive delays to be scanned in/dealt with or even just lost. Many people can wait months for documents to be returned, which they may need in the meantime and there is always the risk of total loss.

They have that service for people who have come to this country seeking naturalisation.  You pay a load of money and they will scan and authenticate your identity and documentation.  The problem would be the cost for a more general application.

How much would it cost though? The offices, workers and equipment would all be shared between all the council/government departments, plus use by private companies paying a fee (banks without local branches, solicitors, estate agents, etc.) and it would mean fewer people needed in each department to sort post and move it around the system/scan it in. It should give economies of scale over lots of separate departments doing the same work, while also meaning that users only hand over their documents for a few minutes and have zero risk of them going astray, plus it would facilitate WFH as it would free up departments from having to see physical documents, in person.

stevewalker

Quote from: strain on July 18, 2022, 11:00:22 PM
Probably not the approved approach but I just send them my driving licence.  They have to send it back.  If it gets lost in the post it's £20 to get a new one from DVLA.

But then you lose the ability to hire a car if it suddenly becomes necessary (I've had sudden deaths in the family mean booking flights and picking up a hire car the next day) and it could take weeks to get a replacement licence.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Malc on July 18, 2022, 09:19:49 PM
Stick the license in his face and ask him if it looks like you. What a performance.

Trouble is the conveyancer is in Manchester, Malc.
I totally agree with @stevewalker suggestion. We have some warranties to send off such as FENSA certificates etc and I'm damned if I'm sending the originals so might get down to our estate agent and get them to scan the certificates and mail them off. At least the conveyancer should believe them.

Quote from: strain on July 18, 2022, 11:00:22 PM
Probably not the approved approach but I just send them my driving licence.  They have to send it back.  If it gets lost in the post it's £20 to get a new one from DVLA.

That wouldn't work as a solicitor has to have seen your licence and copy it onto their headed paper and sign it as being a true likeness.
Got the job done this morning by a solicitor who charged £10, as opposed to the Post Office who charge £12.75. Who'd have thought that?

Newportnobby

'Angry' doesn't cover this one. I'm furious.
At the pre-op meeting in Blackpool 4.7.22 I was informed after my op I wouldn't be able to drive for a week. "Fine with me" I thought. "Probably won't be up to it, anyway"
Exhibit 'A', M'Luds...............

On that basis, I accepted gladly an invitation to drive to Scotland on 3rd August and stay with a certain @Lawrence for a few days, drive back and next day is the Leyland Show. A great break from all the stuff to do with selling Mother's house etc was the thought.

However, on my departure from the hospital yesterday, they gave me some sheets of paper to study and when I was home I discovered I'm not allowed to drive for a month!
Exhibit 'B', M'Luds...........

Our plan is now in ruins. I'll be calling today to see if I can somehow get round this but suspect I'll get nowhere fast with that. I do want to know what criteria this is based on, though........

Length of time for wound to heal?
To see if the unit fails?

Grrrrrrr :censored:

crewearpley40

Please let us know how you do. Leyland show walking distance ? Going to Dundee could be tricky mick

Malc

The document says that if you have had an ICD/CRT fitted. You only had a battery replaced, so I would say, m'lud that it doesn't apply.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Malc on July 22, 2022, 10:11:23 AM
The document says that if you have had an ICD/CRT fitted. You only had a battery replaced, so I would say, m'lud that it doesn't apply.

I would agree but ask you insurance company.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Snowwolflair on July 22, 2022, 10:13:04 AM
Quote from: Malc on July 22, 2022, 10:11:23 AM

I would agree but ask you insurance company.

The battery is hermetically sealed in the unit, so they have to replace the entire unit.
I don't want to approach my insurance company until I've spoken to the hospital :no:
They are perfectly aware I have this unit, but I don't want to give them any excuse to increase premiums which, as we all know, they have a predilection for ::)

emjaybee

@Newportnobby , just thinking a little sideways here, what about travelling up on the train? Is that a viable alternative?

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Newportnobby

@emjaybee
It briefly crossed my mind but the secondary mission was to see what mpg I'd get on the 'new' motor on a long run and to have a modicum of independence.

emjaybee

Fair 'nuff, thought it'd be remiss not to mention it.

D'ya want me to look out any more links to your gal?
Brookline build thread:

stevewalker

I'd certainly query it, as to me "fitted" suggests the first time and DVLA may be worried about any after effects, whereas you've had a replacement, still using the same electrodes, which is not the same thing at all.

emjaybee

S'funny, but all I can hear in my head is Colin Clive shouting "He's alive, HE's ALIVE!"
Brookline build thread:

TrevL

Mick, my archery buddy who had the same op said he was told a month, but if it activated in that month, it went out to six months.  He voluntarily surrendered his liscense(sic?)straight away after the op, but when the pacemaker wasn't activated in the first month, he got his DL back very easily. HTH.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Newportnobby

Quote from: TrevL on July 22, 2022, 06:05:34 PM
Mick, my archery buddy who had the same op said he was told a month, but if it activated in that month, it went out to six months.  He voluntarily surrendered his liscense(sic?)straight away after the op, but when the pacemaker wasn't activated in the first month, he got his DL back very easily. HTH.

Trev, thanks for that. The paperwork does in fact say the DVLA does not need to be alerted, just my insurance company. Let's face it, the threat of not being insured should I choose to drive within a month is threat enough!! Of course, if the unit does trigger itself at any time after the op then I have to inform everyone and surrender my licence for 6 months.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations