Farish Autumn Announcements 2022

Started by NGS-PO, August 03, 2022, 10:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Q4 for the 90, but yes, soon at least. They made a reference to the 158 in the preamble, essentially a nod to the fact it's on the 'old' development path so they'll show EPs etc, rather than the new style of leaping in with decorated samples. No actual progress announcement that I heard though.

I'm encouraged by the 08, where they've smashed out loads of liveries in very short time. Hopefully we'll see more 90s in the spring/summer. They are some yawning chasms of liveries; like anything from 2000-2020.

SD35

The 37 is a bit of an oddball. It only ran for about a month in traffic with that unofficial name on before being stored and withdrawn. Still, it's a nice livery and I guess the name will be fairly simple to rub off when one lands at the lair.

Steven B

Quote from: NGS-PO on August 03, 2022, 10:03:43 AM
Class 08
LMS Black 08601 - Regional Sellers

The LMS Black 08 was a BR paint-job in the late 1980s - it ran around Birmingham and could often be found at Bescot yard or New Street Station. It's not an LMS loco, although I suspect many will be used as such!

Steven B.

Brian-1c

Quote from: Steven B on August 03, 2022, 12:38:43 PM
Class 08

The LMS Black 08 was a BR paint-job in the late 1980s - it ran around Birmingham and could often be found at Bescot yard or New Street Station. It's not an LMS loco, although I suspect many will be used as such!

Steven B.

Just right though to renumber to a BR number and change the logo to early crest, remove the nameplate and make it really grimy. It'll then look like many of them, all ex-LMS, that were in use in the 60s. They never did get treated to an late crest any more than they were likely to get cleaned before being retired.
Brian

Graham

NGS-PO

Quote from: Steven B on August 03, 2022, 12:38:43 PM
Class 08

Steven B.

Quite right. I assumed everyone would know that, with an 08 TOPS number, but that was perhaps misguided of me.

Best

Scott.
If you know someone who's depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn't a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they're going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It's hard to be a friend to someone who's depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do."

(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Richard Taylor

Getting better Bachmann!

If every quarter saw a diesel (loco or mu), an electric (loco or mu) and a steam loco all with relatively imminent release dates I'd be happy, even though I'm personally only interested in the last one. It's been the famine and the apparent lack of interest in N that's been the biggest irritant.  That now seems to be over - I wonder why that could be....?  (<cough> Sonic & Rapido <cough>)

But for heaven's sake - carriages Bachmann! There's money there waiting to be made on models that are a lot less difficult to make than locos.  Instead there's a pointless "collectors box" diesel of some sort - who on earth buys that rubbish?  (But if you want one give it a year and TMC or Rails will be offering them as clearance items at 30% off).

Richard T

Roy L S

The price differential v the J39 suggested to me that the 4F would be released re-worked for DCC sound and for once I was right! Sound fitted weathered BR late crest one duly ordered...

Roy

Steven B

Quote from: Brian-1c on August 03, 2022, 12:48:43 PM
Just right though to renumber to a BR number and change the logo to early crest, remove the nameplate and make it really grimy. It'll then look like many of them, all ex-LMS, that were in use in the 60s.

Twenty 0-6-0 shunters we built during WW2 - ten went to The Netherlands, the remainder went to the LMS. These later became BR class D3/8 (later given TOPS class 11 but was never carried).  BR built more between 1948 and 1952 resulting in 120 locomotives.

There were minor differences between these locomotives and what became the class 08. 08's had slightly larger diameter wheels and there were minor differences in the bodies.

I'm guessing a good number will end up on LMS layouts doing a great job as masquerading as the earlier class. I'd sure they'll be enjoyed, but to my mind not knowing and not caring about the differences are two different things. I'd hate someone to end up disappointed because they believe they're buying a model they believe is suitable for pre-1948 based layouts only to discover when they start looking at pictures that it's not what they thought.

Steven B.

Brian-1c

Quote from: Steven B on August 03, 2022, 01:58:21 PM

Twenty 0-6-0 shunters we built during WW2 - ten went to The Netherlands, the remainder went to the LMS. These later became BR class D3/8 (later given TOPS class 11 but was never carried).  BR built more between 1948 and 1952 resulting in 120 locomotives.

There were minor differences between these locomotives and what became the class 08. 08's had slightly larger diameter wheels and there were minor differences in the bodies.

I'm guessing a good number will end up on LMS layouts doing a great job as masquerading as the earlier class. I'd sure they'll be enjoyed, but to my mind not knowing and not caring about the differences are two different things. I'd hate someone to end up disappointed because they believe they're buying a model they believe is suitable for pre-1948 based layouts only to discover when they start looking at pictures that it's not what they thought.

Steven B.

The running numbers allocated, by BR, to those ex LMS locos would be useful, if you have such info please.

Brian
Brian

NGS-PO

BR numbers were 12033 - 12138

Best

Scott.
If you know someone who's depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn't a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they're going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It's hard to be a friend to someone who's depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do."

(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Brian-1c

Brian

martyn

Whilst the cl 90 is a very welcome announcement (just as I was considering selling my son's Poole one....) for the diesel and electric modellers, if I was considering starting modelling in N gauge the lack of rolling stock might well put me off.

Coupled with what seems to be little stock availability in shops, and I might be wrong on this, I'd be only able to run a light engine or DMUs.

I'm not just talking about new models; but also the lack or re-runs of even basic wagons and coaching stock.

All I can say is that I'm fortunate that I have just about all the locos and stock I need, but, as I've said before, I'd be concerned if I were just starting out.

The money would seem to be out there, judging from what's said on the Forum, but the product to actually buy is not.

Martyn

njee20

Part of me wonders whether Bachmann are pushing more toward the collector market (and I feel dirty for saying that as a differentiation), with the prices of rolling stock increasing proportionally more than locos. The OO gauge IPAs being sold direct at £150/pair for one of the colours, the JPAs being £65 each. People moaned like hell about the price of the mk2s, the DBSOs etc. That said, they all sell, and it won't work if they literally don't produce rolling stock. 

NGS-PO

Quote from: martyn on August 03, 2022, 03:13:29 PM
Whilst the cl 90 is a very welcome announcement (just as I was considering selling my son's Poole one....) for the diesel and electric modellers, if I was considering starting modelling in N gauge the lack of rolling stock might well put me off.

Coupled with what seems to be little stock availability in shops, and I might be wrong on this, I'd be only able to run a light engine or DMUs.

I'm not just talking about new models; but also the lack or re-runs of even basic wagons and coaching stock.

All I can say is that I'm fortunate that I have just about all the locos and stock I need, but, as I've said before, I'd be concerned if I were just starting out.

The money would seem to be out there, judging from what's said on the Forum, but the product to actually buy is not.

Martyn

I agree with this and think it's pretty much spot on.

If I was coming into the hobby now, I wouldn't choose N Gauge.  I'd temper my ambitions (in terms of the size of layout) and go down the 4mm route, and that thought is based almost entirely on lack of rolling stock being available.  It has been impossible for a number of years to assemble an authentic rake of Mk1s (5 years?).

As it is, I'm very much in a similar boat to you Martyn in that I have just about everything I need for my Magnum Opus, save 24 Mk1 Maroon coaches and the items on order from Revolution and Rapido.

Aside from that, anything anyone announces now, if it is of interest, is a bonus.

I still hold out hope that someone will produce a NBL Type 2 (21/29).

I've decided to bite the bullet, instead of waiting for Farish to produce the Scottish 24/1, and commissioned Mercig Studios to do conversions for me from 24/0s.  Whilst I feel Farish will eventually get around to it, I think the Mercig ones will have better accuracy and they'll be weathered as part of the deal, and sport tablet catchers, correct underframe equipment, etc.

The emergence of the completely re-tooled 90 provides evidence that there is investment in N gauge from Bachman, rather than just re-hashes of existing chassis, and it is very welcome.  I've no interest in sound, so it frustrates me that models are being sound upgraded before new, never done before models are produced, but I know there is a market for sound, and Bachman obviously get a good return on sound models, so it's frustration rather than a complaint.

In terms of coaching stock, we just have to have faith that they will come, hopefully sooner rather than later.

In the meantime, if anyone has any Blue Riband Maroon BCK, BSK, CK and/or SK, surplus to requirements and for sale, do let me know!

Best

Scott.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations