where are my heroes

Started by guest10040, July 29, 2022, 01:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest10040

over the years I have enjoyed the models / layouts produced by a number of the members of this forum...
we have some amazing modellers on here, who produce essentially the world in miniature.. I can only hope that I could emulate their work in time.. I would, to be honest, be embarrassed to show my efforts on the same forum as theirs.

but, while many still remain on the forum, some of my 'heroes' have disappeared. and I miss them, and their inspiration.

Chris Eve [of Old Warren TMD] was one who always inspired me to improve my efforts, and was kind enough to work his magic for me on a number of projects that I could never have managed. but I have not seen anything from him on here for years.

now, @exmouthcraig seems to have disappeared as well.
again another member whose work was an inspiration to many of us.

what is happening ?

luckily, we do still have a number of superb modellers to inspire us, but where are our heroes of years past ?

Newportnobby

Just like life itself, folks tend to come and go from fora and clubs etc.
Some get annoyed with other opinions but just clear off without giving a reason which can be worked on such that they'd be happier. Some outstay their welcome.
Having been here for 11 years I regret the disappearance of some and am happy to see others go.
This forum is a broad church for modellers of all capabilities, unlike other fora. The sheer fact we're allowed to discuss things other than model railways stands the NGF apart from other, shall we say, less tolerant places

LASteve

I hope you're wrong about @exmouthcraig - he owes me a beer. :beers: Full disclosure however, it's not his fault I haven't been able to collect, it's all my bad - he lives 6,000 miles away and I'm pretty certain I've never dropped into his local. :)

Back to the topic at hand, I agree with the OP though, it is a shame to see inspirational folks move on or retire from the forum, but one thing that makes this forum stand out for me is the "wisdom of crowds" that you find here; and that the loss, temporary or otherwise, of certain members doesn't seem to affect the sheer quality of info, advice and discussion (although on a personal level, of course you miss your forum friends).

Just my 2¢, or eighteen thousand and twenty-three of the King's Mite in old money.

:)

Bealman

I agree to a certain extent.

NewportNobby had nailed it, though. Members drift off. I don't like blowing me own trumpet, but I had five articles in the Railway Modeller magazine during the nineties.
I've ben in this game a long time.

I don't advertise this though, and, being a mod who is feeling the effects of old age, let discussion drift , but I keep an eye on it  ;) :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

njee20

Quote from: Bealman on July 30, 2022, 10:28:22 AM
I agree to a certain extent.

NewportNobby had nailed it, though. Members drift off. I don't like blowing me own trumpet, but I had five articles in the Railway Modeller magazine during the nineties.
I've ben in this game a long time.

I don't advertise this though, and, being a mod who is feeling the effects of old age, let discussion drift , but I keep an eye on it  ;) :thumbsup:

What's any of that got to do with anything being discussed...?  ???

I always find it a bit odd when someone is a prolific poster and then suddenly disappears. It's not 'drifting off' as such. I exchanged emails with Craig last month, and I note he logged in yesterday in response to the tag. I agree his modelling is exquisite, sure he'll be back on in due course!

I've noticed a few lately being referenced as not being around; innovationgame and railsquid spring to mind. Not necessarily stellar modellers (I'm not commenting either way!), but regulars who have gone very quiet seemingly quite suddenly.

I wonder if the seasonality of modelling is a factor, people with sporty hobbies may do that more in summer, and return to modelling when the weather turns.

joe cassidy

Another absentee that springs to mind is Karhedron, very knowledgeable on all things GWR, and milk trains ?

njee20

I note Karhedron logged in yesterday, so he's still vaguely around! I've seen him on Facebook too. But yes, not posted in a couple of months.

Newportnobby

I tend to find with Karhedron he posts rarely but when tagged, usually when I have a question about coaching stock, he replies very quickly with "Did someone call me?" :)

Bigmac

lets face it--many of us a getting on in years--and some may have left--forever.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Tank

Chris Eve is very well.  He doesn't model N gauge any more, but does have 7 1/4 gauge.  I remember him making some great models for you redcap44.

As for others, I can only say that people disappear and come back all of the time.  We all have so much going on in our lives.  I was very active on here for the first three years, but I haven't modelled anything for 5 years or so.  Three kids have taken away my spare time, as well as caring for my dad (before he passed away last year), and a career change, which have left little enthusiam for any hobbies.  But, I know that I'll get that time again some day - or so I hope!  :D

Sometimes I look at the early threads and I remember lots of old members names, and wonder where some of them have gone.  Thankfully, most as still here!   :D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations