Rates icons on thread posts

Started by RyanHussey, July 26, 2022, 11:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanHussey

As a very new member on the forum I spend alot of time reading threads trying to glean useful information about this new to me scale, one things for sure there's LOTS of very valuable information available but there seems to be an occurrence of pointless posts asking questions that don't need to be asked, that in reality is saying something just for the sake of saying something.

Many times, as someone once sang 'Silence is Golden'

I'm wondering if we could have the angry shaking head emoji  :veryangry: to click for such pointless comments that must surely anger many of us, especially as 99.9% of the time the statement/ question DOESN'T need stating and or asking

jpendle

Hi,

I don't think I've ever come across anyone on this forum creating pointless posts. It might seem pointless to you, but each of us has very different areas of expertise, and I would guess that it almost certainly wasn't pointless from the original poster's perspective.

If there's a particular user whose posts you don't wish to read, you can just select "Ignore" in the bottom right hand side of the post.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

njee20

The problem there is that it just says "you are ignoring this user" which is of no use whatsoever. There are definitely a small number of people who post irrelevant content, things like "good question" or "I don't know, but someone will" simply don't need saying on a forum. I roll my eyes and move on though. You can always use the dislike button, just feels a bit passive aggressive.

RyanHussey

I never said the OP was wrong for posting something but there are many with pointless comments that follow.

As also said  "I don't know" yeah well guess what, the question wasn't personally asked to you so there's no need for a reply surely??

Bealman

At this point in time, there are no plans to change the icons.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

maridunian

It might just be me, but the 'Thank you for taking time off from your busy railway to share useful information for free' icon (Thumbs Up, it's on the left) seems less and less used.

Generally, posts with several of these icons are more likely to be worth reading, but if people don't flag the interesting posts by Thanking their posters, they won't stand out from the chaff.

By clicking on people's usernames you can see how many Thankyous they have received (and given, always an interesting ratio) which is also a handy guide to what's most worth reading.

All of which is all a long-winded way of saying let's use positivity to solve this issue.

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Hiawatha

I find the point values a bit strange: Why are "Like it" and "Love it" valued both with 1 point while "I agree" is 2? I think two points would be more appropriate when you "love" a post instead of just "liking" it?
So you see a lengthy step-by-step guide with photos and e.g. three people liking and two loving it, giving it a value of 5 points. Yet the next post, a one-liner à la "Good explanation" with three people agreeing has a higher value ... :no:
Peter

Tank

Quote from: Hiawatha on July 27, 2022, 11:48:33 AM
I find the point values a bit strange: Why are "Like it" and "Love it" valued both with 1 point while "I agree" is 2? I think two points would be more appropriate when you "love" a post instead of just "liking" it?
So you see a lengthy step-by-step guide with photos and e.g. three people liking and two loving it, giving it a value of 5 points. Yet the next post, a one-liner à la "Good explanation" with three people agreeing has a higher value ... :no:

That's a great point, and something that I will change.  I will also stop the 'sad face' from being a negative, as members shouldn't be marked down if they say "My cat got run over yesterday...." 

Quote from: RyanHussey on July 26, 2022, 11:12:43 PM
As a very new member on the forum I spend alot of time reading threads trying to glean useful information about this new to me scale, one things for sure there's LOTS of very valuable information available but there seems to be an occurrence of pointless posts asking questions that don't need to be asked, that in reality is saying something just for the sake of saying something.

Many times, as someone once sang 'Silence is Golden'

I'm wondering if we could have the angry shaking head emoji  :veryangry: to click for such pointless comments that must surely anger many of us, especially as 99.9% of the time the statement/ question DOESN'T need stating and or asking

I'm happy to look into all suggestions.  The emoji's/rating system is relatively new on here, and I really like it.  Whilst it seems good to have all sorts of emoji's, I'm not sure that an angry one would help a post/thread in any way.  It may be better to ask why they've said that through a PM, rather than upset or potentially humiliate them on the forum - not suggesting that this is yours or anyone's intention of course.  :)

geofff

Define pointless - to you it's probably something that you already know or have no interest in, whereas others may find it absorbing and educational. Thats what the forum is about-  different views on the same subject.

emjaybee

It's all subjective.

A pointless post to one user is a supportive post to another.

It's like humour. What's funny and what's not?

Some people like to think they're amusing in the way they post, but then object when someone else posts a humorous reply.

Subjective.

???
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

njee20

Quote from: geofff on July 27, 2022, 06:06:11 PM
Define pointless - to you it's probably something that you already know or have no interest in, whereas others may find it absorbing and educational. Thats what the forum is about-  different views on the same subject.

Obviously I'm not the OP, but to me it's the posts I said that I find pointless: "Ooo, that's a good question", "I'm looking forward to the responses", "I'm not sure, but someone will know" etc. You may say that in a verbal conversation, but all it does on a forum is clog up threads. Genuine answers, responses, suggestions etc are always valid.

PLD

Agree with the sentiment of the OP, though perhaps not the 'solution'.

There are certainly those members who seemingly feel it necessary to post on each and every thread, whether they have anything useful to contribute or not.

As njee says, there is the classic pointless "I don't know, but someone will" answer. If only they instead said "I don't know, but Joe Blogs is the expert on those" it would be transformed to something really helpful.
The other is the "Nice work" or post consisting of just a smiley. That's what the Post ratings ARE there for!!!

There are also a couple of characters I could name (but won't!) who blatantly either don't read the posts they are replying to or don't think about what they are posting. Typical examples: asking a question that was answered in the previous post; posting links that are totally irrelevant or don't answer the question.
Worst of all is the one who when it is pointed out then clutters the thread with another 2 or 3 posts giving his excuses of why he posted.  ::) I know this individual has annoyed several respected contributors to the point where one stopped posting on his long-running and highly-rated layout thread for a few days...

I'm not sure that an additional rating is the solution (as said above, could be seen as passive-aggressive or bullying), but for the worst repeat offenders, perhaps a report to the Mods asking them to 'have a quiet word' - it's possible in some cases they are genuinely trying to be helpful and don't realise.

To those members, continuing the OP's musical references "You say it best... When you say nothing at all...;)

RyanHussey

EXACTLY THAT

IF my original statement had been read properly along with the replies then you've answered your own question.

I CLEARLY stated the pointless replies, no matter what your knowledge or interest, a reply stating that you "don't know" is definitely not absorbing, not educational and of no use or interest to anyone

Newportnobby

I freely admit to having posted "I don't know the answer but am sure someone will be along who can" but only to newbies posing their first question. My post is purely so they don't think no one is 'listening'. Anyone else, I point to a thread or tag a person who will know.
I find this far more polite than just replying with "Use the 'Search' function"

PLD

Quote from: Newportnobby on July 27, 2022, 10:19:37 PM
I freely admit to having posted "I don't know the answer but am sure someone will be along who can" but only to newbies posing their first question. My post is purely so they don't think no one is 'listening'. Anyone else, I point to a thread or tag a person who will know.
I find this far more polite than just replying with "Use the 'Search' function"
Possibly it is partly the perceptions we develop of certain members Mick, but my recollection of you posts is far more of the helpful "XYZ is the man to help" form, with a tag so XYZ is alerted to the thread...

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations