Union Mills N gauge locomotives - Still in production - Production list and date

Started by mark ellis, July 20, 2022, 12:11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Portpatrick

Quote from: martyn on January 09, 2023, 07:35:11 AM
:offtopicsign: :offtopicsign: :offtopicsign:@Greygreaser

Many thanks for the link.

It is a little out of date-there are now 3D prints for, at least, the Peppercorn K1 and Robinson O1.

The list I gave was off the top of my head, and for RTR locos, not kits (of which I have a nymber).

Martyn

Yes I have noted the K1  K4 and both versions of the K2 from Newman Miniatures on the Shapeways site.  The challenge apart from handrails,  other  details etc, is to  source a Farish N class for a reasonable price,  as donor of the chassis.  Now I have a new release Dapol Brit,  I am faced with 3 options with my 1sr release Tornado.  Keep it,  sell it or buy the moulding and extra bits to turn it into a Clan.  Rudi Newman has done  boiler for this.

thebrighton

Quote from: Portpatrick on January 09, 2023, 07:30:09 PM

The challenge apart from handrails,  other  details etc, is to  source a Farish N class for a reasonable price,  as donor of the chassis. 

I've not priced up an N chassis but for prints requiring the 4F and C class chassis I just ordered the required bits from the Bachmann spares website. All the bits for a working chassis for both came out at around £65 each which is a lot less than trying to source a cheap, complete loco.

Portpatrick

Quote from: thebrighton on January 09, 2023, 08:02:02 PM

The challenge apart from handrails,  other  details etc, is to  source a Farish N class for a reasonable price,  as donor of the chassis. 

I've not priced up an N chassis but for prints requiring the 4F and C class chassis I just ordered the required bits from the Bachmann spares website. All the bits for a working chassis for both came out at around £65 each which is a lot less than trying to source a cheap, complete loco.

You've done well there.  I had not noticed Bob Russell sold either complete motorised chassis or the necessary bits to create one. I must look again at his lists.

joe cassidy

Richard Taylor

You've done well there.  I had not noticed Bob Russell sold either complete motorised chassis or the necessary bits to create one. I must look again at his lists.

I think Roy LS meant the official Bachmann spares website at https://bachmann-spares.co.uk/, not BR Lines.

Richard

joe cassidy

I would like to float the idea of forming a company or an association to save the cottage industries that are disappearing due to retirement of the owners.

I would like this to be lead by the younger members of the forum such as acko, steven B, dr Al, exmouth craig, ian arkell, steadfast, njee, embjaybee, etc., to ensure continuity.

The older members would provide finance, help with the admin.

The idea would be to purchase stock and tooling to allow availability of what exists to continue but not to launch new products to compete with RTR or the NGS.

At least one salaried employee would be needed. I would volunteer if I didn't live in France.

Woodenhead

Quote from: joe cassidy on January 09, 2023, 09:06:34 PM
I would like to float the idea of forming a company or an association to save the cottage industries that are disappearing due to retirement of the owners.

I would like this to be lead by the younger members of the forum such as acko, steven B, dr Al, exmouth craig, ian arkell, steadfast, njee, embjaybee, etc., to ensure continuity.

The idea would be to purchase stock and tooling to allow availability of what exists to continue but not to launch new products to compete with RTR or the NGS.

At least one salaried employee would be needed. I would volunteer if I didn't live in France.

For such an endeavour, those involved would need to be able to run a business, to be able to build models, understand toolings, electrics etc.

It doesn't always go well buying somone else's business, Union Mills wasn't a company, it was one person with all the skills, take away that person and what are you left with?

You cannot simply mop up old companies and think it will all be ok, Union Mills might have been sufficient for a one man band, add in several people trying to run it, a salaried (skilled modeller salaried??) for a small market of N gaugers who may turn up their noses when it is no longer Colin running the business and you'll soon be in a mess.

harper

Quote from: joe cassidy on January 09, 2023, 09:06:34 PM

Brilliant idea!

thebrighton

Quote from: Portpatrick on January 09, 2023, 08:21:00 PM

As mentioned above Bachmann now sell spares direct from their website at the link provided to which I was referring rather than Bob Russell.

Portpatrick

Mad system.  I had forgotten my password. Asked for a reset.  Duly followed the instructions.   Input new password and confirm with the same code.  It then tells me they don't match.  For goodness sake!!!@

Roy L S

Also bear in mind Colin very deliberately kept his production at a certain level to keep him below the VAT threshold and (1) I strongly suspect that he was not solely dependent on UM for his income, more a paid "hobby" and (2) in a "new" world were VAT added to the models along with any other associated extra costs, they would no longer be anything like as financially attractive in comparison to "mainstream" models.

Portpatrick

Quote from: Roy L S on January 09, 2023, 10:40:27 PM
Also bear in mind Colin very deliberately kept his production at a certain level to keep him below the VAT threshold and (1) I strongly suspect that he was not solely dependent on UM for his income, more a paid "hobby" and (2) in a "new" world were VAT added to the models along with any other associated extra costs, they would no longer be anything like as financially attractive in comparison to "mainstream" models.

Very reasonable point.  Apart from the fact that at 78 and47 years in related business it is reasonable enough to want to hand up whatever he hangs up,

Dorsetmike

QuoteThe older members would provide finance, help with the admin.

I might be able to provide £1 or 2K, but make yer minds up soon I  must be the oldest member.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Roy L S

Sorry Colin, I am probably being exceptionally dim here, but I have never heard the phrase "want to hand up whatever he hangs up" can you expand?  :dunce:

Portpatrick

Sorry Roy.  I meant hang up whatever  he hangs up.  A teacher might hang up their gown, a barrister their wig, as a retired accountant my quill pen, ledger and abacus.  For Colin his blue overal?

By the way having spent 40 years in my profession, plus a total of 11 years as Hon Treasurer of 3 charitable bodies 5 of those years after I retired from employment, I have hung mine up, and will not be finance supremo of a UM/cottage industry takeover.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations