Union Mills N gauge locomotives - Still in production - Production list and date

Started by mark ellis, July 20, 2022, 12:11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firstone18

Sad news indeed. I too wish Colin a long and happy retirement. I've spoken with him a couple of times since buying my first loco (J39) last year. This purchase was prompted by failures of Sonic, Dapol and Farish locos (6 in all) each being returned; the last Farish sent is still running but for a 8F won't pull much compared to UM or my old Minitrix 9F. I will be keeping an eye on the second hand market hoping to get a GWR livery Collett sometime.
Happy retirement Colin, and thank you for all you have done for the N Gauge modeller.
Finally, after waiting over 55 years I am building a permanent layout in a purpose built shed!

Safety Engineer

Many thanks Colin for the excellent and reasonably priced range of locomotives produced over the years. Most of these are of prototypes which would not have been considered by the mainstream manufacturers.
Enjoy a long and happy retirement.

Martin, a very satisfied customer

stevewalker

I've not got any UM locos, was thinking of buying a few (ex LMS types), but not for the next 5 or 6 months - typical timing!

Ah well, I hope he enjoys his retirement.

Rowlie

I wish Colin a long and happy retirement, always sad to see a manufacturer leave the market, however Colin does leave a positive legacy in our N gauge world. Personally I have four of his models and as others have already said, all my examples are solid performers.
Best regards
Rowlie

PGN

Does anyone know what Colin's final close-down date is?

I still have a couple of locomotives which need to go off to him for re-motoring ...
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

Dorsetmike

I spoke to him earlier in the week, after a spare tender drive or two and any other spares that might come in handy; he says it'll probably take a couple of months before he finds all the odd bits and pieces in cupboards or boxes, currently he has no tender drives that he knows the whereabouts of - if any.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Papyrus

I phoned Colin today to see what stock he had left. He still has the G2, the J25/26 and the D16 in LNER green. I too would have liked a couple of tender drives but he said he had none left. So I bought a D16 and wished him a very happy retirement. I suspect there is no definite closing date - it will be when he has sold his last loco. End of an era and all that.

Cheers

Chris

Ali Smith

I wonder how long Nick Tilston of N Brass will continue to trade. I know nothing of his underlying health or his financial situation, but he is clearly not a young man and has already stopped taking his trade stand to general exhibitions. He now confines himself to 2mm Association events and online/postal trading.
His products are a godsend to kit builders, scratch builders and, of course, those who detail Union Mills models.

Thorpe Parva

Ordered yesterday & arrived today. I already have a Union Mills G2 plus three other of Colin's ex-LMS locos but it was too good an opportunity to miss as I don't suppose we will see an R-T-R G2 in N Gauge again in the near future. Excellent runner straight out of the box.
David

Dickydcc

Portpatrick

Quote from: Ali Smith on January 06, 2023, 11:45:32 AM
I wonder how long Nick Tilston of N Brass will continue to trade. I know nothing of his underlying health or his financial situation, but he is clearly not a young man and has already stopped taking his trade stand to general exhibitions. He now confines himself to 2mm Association events and online/postal trading.
His products are a godsend to kit builders, scratch builders and, of course, those who detail Union Mills models.

Yes this is an issue with the "cottage industry" nature of some key suppliers to our hobby. Gone as far as I can see, is ABS Beaver, GEM, Graham Hughes, I think,  who did a kit of the Glen.   Is Chivers still around?  I have a few of his OTA kits.  Dare I ponder how secure is the future of PD Marsh and Langley.  I continue to use both for the bits element of a layout, and have certainly used their loco kits in the past - rendered tricky by the growing lack of usable #Poole chassis.  There are others

Thorpe Parva

Chivers still going strong...

https://www.chiversfinelines.co.uk/

I think that the son took over the business some time ago. I bought some kits a few months ago.

I also buy bits from PD Marsh & I believe that Hattons now stock some of their products.

Dr Al

Quote from: Thorpe Parva on January 06, 2023, 11:55:14 AM
Ordered yesterday & arrived today.

I'm astonished. As well as perplexed.  :worried:

I gave up years ago trying to buy new as it simply seemed impossible. Trying again this week given it's the last chance, and I've phoned him no less than ELEVEN times, including twice immediately after a previous attempt when I got the engaged tone, and not once have I managed to get him to pick up! It's literally.....hopeless!  :doh:

Sorry, while it's a regret that UM are ceasing, I will be in the comical position of having literally never bought from him, despite being a prolific detailer of the models and owning a fair number.

Back to the secondhands I guess.....   :confused1:

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Dorsetmike

Any ideas as to which motor Colin uses, is it one available elsewhere, similarly with wheels?
Anybody know of somewhere that does white metal casting (or could learn it quick) that could possibly acquire Colin's  moulds etc?
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Chris Morris

Quote from: Ali Smith on January 06, 2023, 11:45:32 AM

I saw him a few days ago. He is ok and gets out and about but not as energetic as he was.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations