Union Mills N gauge locomotives - Still in production - Production list and date

Started by mark ellis, July 20, 2022, 12:11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy L S

I have felt that with the lack of any newly tooled models and a focus on running fresh batches of existing ones the writing has been on the wall for a while now.

It was the purchase of my first UM J39 (with the second "low noise" design of tender-drive) that reignited my interest in British N in the mid-1990s. A loco I had always wanted in N, for the time the tidy looks and neat finish coupled to the smooth running and powerful mechanism was a step change from the Farish locos of the day.

The locos that followed were ones no mainstream manufacturer was ever likely to touch (B12, J26, D20 etc) and that cemented his place in British N.

I am grateful that UM models came along, very likely had they not, I would no longer be modelling in N today.

Very sad that the business cannot be handed on, but I suspect that the success of it has been down to Colin Heard's background, unique range of skillsets and contacts. It is hard to see anyone following him by starting anything similar from scratch either  :(.

Roy

Bob Tidbury

What sad news at the start of the New Year ,Colins Union Mills Locos have been some of the strongest locos made yes they lack detail but are so reliable and will pull any amount of stock you require .But allso the brilliant service weve had from Colin over the years has been second to none ,not many small one man bands could take an order in the afternoon and deliver the next morning .
The locos I have will still be going long after I have departed this earth .and will give someone lots of pleasure.
I wish Colin a happy retirement .
Bob Tidbury

GrahamB

I guess it had to happen sometime. His locos provided a sturdy and reliable base to which finer detail could be added.

I hope he enjoys a long and happy retirement.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

lil chris

Yes it's sad that Union Mills is closing, so pleased I have one of his loco's. He is such a nice guy to deal with and very helpful and a Legend in British N -Gauge. He will be missed I wish him a Happy Retirement. Chris.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

joe cassidy

Bad news for the Isle of Man Post Office philatelic department, and modellers who are also stamp collectors  :(

daveg

I wish Colin a long and happy retirement with thanks for all he has given us.

My beautiful City of Truro, fettled a while back by the talented Ozymandias and subsequently admired by Colin, will become even more valued - by me!

Dave G

Papyrus

I've only just discovered this thread, thanks to Mick diverting me here from the 'Next UM loco will be...' thread. As I said there, what a shame! UM locos weren't everyone's cup of tea, but they were solidly built models of prototypes that other manufacturers didn't touch. Just hope that the likes of Sonic can fill the gap.

Cheers,

Chris

GAD

Sad news indeed. How pleased I am that I have more than a dozen of Colin's excellent locos. If anyone knows Colin and is in contact with him in the future please pass on my best wishes and thanks for these fantastic locos.

Sam K

I would have to disagree that it couldn't be passed on.
I'm sure there is someone out there with the necessary technical skills, sufficient business acumen, and the ability to paint the locos (I wonder if he uses reusable painting masks, it looks like he might).
I have the technical skills (not sure about the business side), but not the time or situation.

Maybe the N Gauge society could take on making and sourcing the parts for others to assemble? As a kind of kit. It will also encourage people to offer a service of finishing them for others (for a fee).

I do hope they continue to be available in some form.

Quote from: harper on January 03, 2023, 10:48:45 PM
I ordered a loco 2.00 pm the Thursday(22nd) before Christmas and received it the next day.
I spoke to Colin and found it to be very pleasant person and ask he was selling his business.
He replied "[No, it can't be handed down.It's a bit like a violin repair business][/i]"
Pity really and great shame and an even bigger loss!
Problem is if a business and skill sets aren't passed on they are lost!
However it's Colin's business and it is up to him to do what he wants with it.
I wish him well in his retirement.
It does make me think may be someone else could make similar style models in the UK for around the same cost and quality?
Put it another way it might had been a small scale cottage industry but I don't think it was a loss making  one.

Bob G

Quote from: mark ellis on July 23, 2022, 01:54:15 PM
Original post has been edited to show the lists of all Union Mills locos made, their release dates, colours and loco numbers

Just eyeballing the list, my Collett 2251, no 2253, is actually in BR Black, early crest. I do know that BR green ones were also produced, but I do not know which ones, off the top of my head.

Bob

pinball

What a shame. I picked up a Dean Goods from Colin, really nice bloke to talk to, and a great little locomotive.

BramptonBranch

I dont own one, mores the pity but it seems Colin has provided a fair few modelers with some fantastic locos.
Also he has earned his retirement and if the business retires with him so be it.
Enjoy your  next phase in life Colin and thanks for your N gauge legacy.

Andy 
You can never have to many Warships!

Hailstone

I am sorry to hear that Colin is retiring, but wish him a long and happy retirement - Union Mills locos will remain for me the rolls royce of quality and haulage!

All the best,

Alex

Greygreaser

I had a conversation over Xmas with my son (0 gauge GWR) and he said 'Why haven't you got some 'Eastern' steam locos on your layout?" - Readum Junkshun is in Norfolk :hmmm:
Well there's rarity and scarcity, and rocking horse poo comes parallel with finding LNER/BR locos other than the 'namers' - except the Union Mills range :claphappy: I found on www.railuk.info that J15s were the most populous in the Norfolk sheds and no-one seems to want to tackle it - it would be quite delicate in N scale I think.
Finding the list from UM was a challenge to the pocket but I've settled on 2. A J25 as its nearest in 'looks' to the J15, although they all worked in the North East, but it will be a replacement for something BR in the fleet as will my second choice.
Then i found that Norfolk was sprinkled with Clauds :bounce: so a D16 65614 is on its way too. It was allocated to Kings Lynn shed and never moved away, possibly because it became 1 of 2 'Royal' engines used to pull Royal trains between london and Hunstanton, stopping at Wolverton of course. It was always washed and polished ready for special duties so will need some careful detailing. - sources and ideas welcome.
I'm thinking that Colin knew of its 'standing' in royal circles and so chose that number!
Excitement is growing by the day as i await the package
A jack of all trades is a master of none, but often times better than a master of one.

martyn

@Greygreaser
I've posted similarly before, but Norfolk could include
B12
B1
B17
D16/3
J39
Britannia
J50-Norwich had three for shunting at Thorpe.
4MT Mogul
And probably others, all the above are RTR from Union Mills, Farish, Dapol, and J50 soon from Sonic.

Thebrighton has a J15 in his thread on GER stock, made indeed by converting a J25, but using the UM 2F tender drive, as it is smaller than the J25: the J15s only had small tenders.

It'd give you quite a steam stable, though if you are a stickler for period, the Claud and B17s had gone around 1960, with B12 61572 hanging on at Norwich before preservation.

Martyn

Later;

Austerity 280
Via M+GN; 4F

At least one 8F and 'Crab' have been photographed at Norwich........

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations