Thank you from Hector

Started by Lawrence, April 28, 2022, 05:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence

Quote from: njee20 on May 01, 2022, 04:03:55 PM
And of course I have, but platitudes of "we'll get the money somehow" aside it doesn't seem clear, and therefore not an unreasonable question to me. They've said the vet needs the money by Wednesday. One presumes they don't have access to that sort of credit. Just a question.

I have no issues with your enquiry @njee20 they have applied for a small bank loan and are awaiting the outcome. Should that not happen, well I have already put the £500 I had put aside for my new layout into the fund and we are due to have some work done in the house which I will cancel and loan them the shortfall. They have already paid out £1000 for tests and between us, we didn't have the £5000, hence the loan application and GoFund me page. Rest assured, one way or another, the surgery will go ahead and the vet will get paid. I am sure you wont mind if I don't go into our personal finances in too much detail but there is a genuine reason for the fund raising.

@Railwaygun if you will excuse the pun, I'm not holding a gun to your head and, I am sure, that like myself, many others on here will have already contributed to the efforts in Ukraine, nobody is demanding anything of you, just asking for a little help if people can afford it.

Train Waiting

Quote from: Lawrence on May 01, 2022, 06:27:09 PM
Quote from: njee20 on May 01, 2022, 04:03:55 PM
And of course I have, but platitudes of "we'll get the money somehow" aside it doesn't seem clear, and therefore not an unreasonable question to me. They've said the vet needs the money by Wednesday. One presumes they don't have access to that sort of credit. Just a question.

I have no issues with your enquiry @njee20 they have applied for a small bank loan and are awaiting the outcome. Should that not happen, well I have already put the £500 I had put aside for my new layout into the fund and we are due to have some work done in the house which I will cancel and loan them the shortfall. They have already paid out £1000 for tests and between us, we didn't have the £5000, hence the loan application and GoFund me page. Rest assured, one way or another, the surgery will go ahead and the vet will get paid. I am sure you wont mind if I don't go into our personal finances in too much detail but there is a genuine reason for the fund raising.

@Railwaygun if you will excuse the pun, I'm not holding a gun to your head and, I am sure, that like myself, many others on here will have already contributed to the efforts in Ukraine, nobody is demanding anything of you, just asking for a little help if people can afford it.

And I hope you keep us informed of how the finances are going.  I rather think that a bit more could be raised (or borrowed) from members of our FantasticForum if that would be helpful.
Perhaps some of us could sell unneeded stuff on the excellent Nporium to help.  10% to ForumFunds and 90% to help pay off Hector's loan/s.  Just a thought.

Anyway, best wishes with this and please let me know if I can help further.

Finally, I don't think contributing to this and to a Ukraine appeal (or, indeed, anything else) are mutually exclusive.

All the very best.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Lawrence

@Train Waiting Thank you John, we will of course keep you informed, thank you for your words of encouragement

Lawrence

So Hector was about to get a bath last night prior to heading to Edinburgh for surgery tomorrow

He is being treated at The Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies which is part of Edinburgh University, they wont know till tomorrow but are hoping it will be not dissimilar to to work on a human heart. They will enter the groin at his hind legs and, by means of a catheter will hope to deliver a transarterial coil (or similar device). Should that fail, then they will have to open the little guy up which is obviously more dangerous.
I probably won't hear until Wednesday how things have gone, unless something untoward occurs Tuesday.

Finally, you have been amazing guys, we are over £1700 now, getting the target in such a short space of time was always going to be hard but my God have you lot pitched in handsomely. Scott & Kirstie had already paid out just over £1000 for various tests and scan etc. they have another £1000 left in savings which they will put in. Unfortunately the finance has not come through so yours truly is putting some home improvements on hold to loan them the shortfall.

I appreciate that not all members are animal lovers, and not all see the value in putting money into such a campaign, preferring it to go to something more personal to them, I have no issues with that. I am hugely grateful though to those who are of a like mind and who have dug deep, very deep in some cases.
The fundraising will be left open for a while after all is done and dusted, additional monies will be donated to The Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies for their research into animal welfare projects.

From the bottom of Hectors little 220 beats per minute heart, thank you

devonjames

Good luck tomorrow Lawrence. I'll be thinking of you all and poor Hector too.  They can do amazing things and he is in the right place so you have every reason to be confident of a successful outcome.

I think you have to be, or have been, a dog owner to fully understand how they become a close member of your family. They rely upon you so much and give back so much love. That's why you would always do whatever you need to do to help them and that's exactly what you are doing.  If some of us have been able, in a very small way, to make it a little bit less hard for you then that's reassuring.  We understand.

Paddy

Hi @Lawrence

My apologies, just seen your posting. Unfortunately we know how expensive vet bills can be as it cost us over £8,000 to heal Henry (our adored fluffy Boy cat) after his car accident six years ago. You may have seen we lost Henry last month to diabetes but those extra years were worth every penny.

We have made a donation to Hector's fund and we send all our best wishes to the wee fella. Best of luck for tomorrow.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Newportnobby

Many thanks for the update, Lawrence. Fingers (and other things) crossed for Hector.

Lawrence

Hector went in this morning for pre op and they discovered he is retaining water and had not put as much weight on as was hoped. He has been given diuretics to deal with the water retention, with a view to carrying out the procedure tomorrow.
It does mean another night stopover for them in Edinburgh but the surgeon wanted to give him another 24 hours before proceeding. Apparently he has wolfed his tea down and taking it in his stride  :D
Hopefully a proper update tomorrow.

Oh, nearly forgot to mention, just topped the £2000 mark and you guys have played a major role in that, I don't know how to thank you and I know Scott and Kirstie have been left dumbfounded at your generosity

:NGF:

Chetcombe

Just seen this thread and have made a small donation. An inspiring story and fingers crossed Hector get's  his surgery and that the outcome is successful
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Lawrence

Well Hector has had his surgery folks, things didn't go quite as planned. The initial plug (for want of a better word) was too small when it was fitted so they had to take it out and put another bigger one in so the wee man has taken a bit of a battering around the back legs/groin area. After fitting his heart shrunk considerably and they were a little concerned about it, fortunately it did stop shrinking before they had to take any action and once all was done the heart settled into a more steady rhythm. Obviously heart surgery on something 12 weeks old and weighing about the same as a couple of bags of sugar is not without its dangers but there will be staff monitoring him throughout the night and, assuming all is well, he will be allowed home tomorrow.
He will have a raft of painkillers and anti-biotics to take along with medication to stabilise the heart and it is unclear yet whether he will have to get the canine equivalent of Warfarin for the rest of his days. He will have to go back in six months time for checks and scans.
On the assumption that he makes it through the night successfully, there is no reason to think he wont go on to live a full life term, albeit his lifestyle may be a little restricted.
Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to give 100% good news and once again, thank you from all of us for your magnificent support. They are going to keep the fund running for another few days as we have friends wishing to donate but are unable to do so until the weekend, so there is still time guys  ;)

dannyboy

It certainly sounds promising.  :thumbsup: Thanks for the update.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Paddy

Thanks @Lawrence . We have everything crossed for the wee fella.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

devonjames

@Lawrence how is Hector doing?  We've been thinking of him. Hope he is making good progress and will be home with his family soon.

Lawrence

Thanks for asking guys, have asked daughter to see how he is doing this afternoon, as of yesterday he was sleeping, eating, gingerly moving around and bodily functions seem to be okay.
As soon as I know more, I will update you all

Lawrence

Hi folks

Well I am home, it was a bit scary but I am a big brave boy (12 weeks old now) so I took it in my stride. My humans (Scott & Kirstie) keep giving me tablets for my heart, because some nice lady put a plug in it, I thought that was what went in the bath  :confused1: but apparently I have one in my heart too. I also get some tablets with big words, but Grandad Lawrence tells me they are called paracetamol and anti biotics, I didn't know I had an aunty  :worried:
I just wanted to say thank you to each and every one of you for, well, saving my life really. It would have been so much harder for my humans to cope, but, the support you wonderful people gave, not just financially but also the messages, have really helped them through what was a very difficult time. Personally, I slept most of it, but thanks from me too.
Love and slobbery kisses
Hector

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations