DVLA heads up

Started by guest10040, April 22, 2022, 11:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest10040

not sure if I missed any announcement or not, but my car tax has renewed, and yet another leak in the bucket, from £29.75 to £31.50 per month.

not drastic, but these little increases add up.

so if you still pay road tax by direct debit, just check to see if yours has gone up as well.

PLD

All rates went up by between £5 and £30 per year (if paid annually) on 1st April.
I'm assuming from those figures you're 2001-2017 band K, so annual rate went from £350 to £360. You could save double the amount of the increase by switching from monthly to annual payment  ;)

guest10040

£378 per year total, 12 x £31.50

while I know it costs more this way, with pensions paid either 4 weekly or monthly, it's easier to budget.

didn't know cars had bands, though that was only house  :-[

I don't know if EVs now pay tax, or are the rest of us taking up the slack as their numbers increase and the shortfall has to be made good ?

njee20

No tax for EVs; it's basically flat rated for cars registered after April 2017. One rate for petrol and diesel, and free for EVs, with a premium for the first 5 years if the list price of your car is over £40k.

guest10040

40 K :-[

I paid £5,000 for my Volvo XC70, and it is going to have to last me until I am no longer fit to drive [ NO COMMENTS PLEASE] or I can no longer get diesel.

then it will have to be a sled and a husky  :hmmm:

PLD

Depends on whether the car was first registered:
-before Apr 2001 - 4 bands based on engine size,
-between Apr 2001 & Mar 2017 - 13 bands based on emissions,
-after Apr 2017 - 3 bands based on fuel type plus additional in the first 5 years based on original list price.

Pure EVs are currently zero rated;
Plug-in Hybrids are a flat low rate; (both likely to change)
Regenerative only (non-plug-in) hybrids are rated on the emissions of the internal combustion unit.

guest10040

I think I understand that, but I'll confirm with HB  :-\

a long time ago, probably 20 odd years ago or more, there was a suggestion that road tax and 3rd party insurance should be got rid of, and an addition made to fuel prices.

the idea was that you could not then have an untaxed / uninsured driver, and if you wanted you would buy additional insurance cover.

that died a death, we just got the increase in fuel prices...

and in untaxed / uninsured vehicles, which of course we all now pay for as a part of our insurance.

I am going to take HB for yet another walk, before I go over the top...

MOI  :hmmm:  >:D

Ditape

All I know is my 2016 Mercedes 300h which is a soft hybrid has no annual tax bill and I hope it lasts me until I no longer need it I had my last Merc for 13 years and it was still running I only changed it because my railway would not fit in a 2 seat roadster. :) ( that is what I told myself but I was also finding it difficult getting in/out of a low slung sports roadster)
Diane Tape

njee20

Quote from: Redcap244 on April 22, 2022, 04:13:48 PM
40 K :-[

I paid £5,000 for my Volvo XC70, and it is going to have to last me until I am no longer fit to drive [ NO COMMENTS PLEASE] or I can no longer get diesel.

then it will have to be a sled and a husky  :hmmm:

Yeah, but it's the list price, not what you paid, nor what you negotiated with the dealer. You can't get an XC70 anymore, but an XC60 starts from 'just' £53,225. Even the XC40 is £39,100; so if you want to choose any other colour it'll cost you an additional £2K in tax over 5 years!

PLD

Yep and that has hurt the once thriving market for 3-5 year old cars...
You might be buying that 3 year old Merc for a "bargain" £20k vs the £50k new price, but because it was over £40k when new, you are still hit for the additional tax in years 4 & 5...  :veryangry:

guest10040

luckily mine's on a 55 plate, but then again, I expect they've found a way to screw me anyway  :*(

oh for a £40 a week pension rise .... in my dreams

but then, I expect HB would be negotiating demanding an increase in his biscuit allowance.

you just can't win  :*( :*( :*(

guest10040

Quote from: Ditape on April 22, 2022, 05:00:16 PM
All I know is my 2016 Mercedes 300h which is a soft hybrid has no annual tax bill and I hope it lasts me until I no longer need it I had my last Merc for 13 years and it was still running I only changed it because my railway would not fit in a 2 seat roadster. :) ( that is what I told myself but I was also finding it difficult getting in/out of a low slung sports roadster)

no, I must resist, this is the new, calmer me  :hmmm:

sorry still can't remove the picture from my mind  >:D

Newportnobby

I have a 2015 plate petrol Siesta 999cc which costs nowt in road tax and is a lot of fun as the engine is turbocharged :)
Come 2029, if I'm still about and able to drive, I wonder what'll happen. I'll probably buy another petrol car as who knows who'll afford to run an electric car on future power costs? Mind you, by then there'll only be 3 petrol stations in the UK owing to the switch in 2030 to EVs ::)
What will happen to motorbikes? I happen to be the happy owner of a Kawasaki 650 but do have to pay road tax on that.

mr bachmann

thats me stumped then , tax exempt - wonder how they'll manage that , along with the MOT exemption - then on top of that the local garage only had E10 at the pumps today , but the most expence is mineral based 2 stroke oil .

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations