NGF forum v NGF facebook !

Started by Mr Sprue, April 19, 2022, 08:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigmac

Quote from: Bigmac on April 20, 2022, 05:21:03 PM
ive just tried adding a photo following the post  earlier in this thread.

dunno where it is.

found it--its in my photos. 
Now--how do i get it into here ?

i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

ntpntpntp

@Bigmac   if you followed the recipe in that earlier post then the BB code for the photo should have been added to the text of the post you were writing when you went to "Add image to post...".  You don't have to do anything else, just save the post and the photo will be included in it. 

I've found the only time you don't get the BB code inserted is if you try and add a photo that's too large or not acceptable in some other way. If that happens then the pop-up window where you selected the photo and gallery etc. stays open (but unfortunately doesn't expand to actually show an error).

"Add image to post and upload to gallery" works 100% for me as long as the photo file is acceptable.  I very rarely use any of the other ways of adding photos directly to my gallery.

If you do want to re-use a photo that's already uploaded, just click on it to get to the page with gives you BB Code link underneath, copy that and paste into your post.   If I'm using that method to re-use a photo I open another browser window to find the photo and the BB code.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Jim Easterbrook

Quote from: Moria on April 20, 2022, 10:03:19 AM
Quote from: Tank on April 20, 2022, 09:36:18 AM
I don't really understand the hardship with the photo's.  There is a quick and easy way, with 4 clicks to get an image in a post.

To be honest, Mines even simpler... 

1)  Upload to Imagur
2)  Select the "linked BB code" option
3)  paste into post.

Job done.

I use a similar method, but with Flickr or Ipernity instead of Imagur. No doubt other photo sharing web sites are also available.
Jim Easterbrook
"I'm an engineer, not an artist!"
"Amoro, emptio, utiliso!"
Personal website. / Photos on Flickr. / Blog.

Bigmac

Quote from: ntpntpntp on April 20, 2022, 05:49:07 PM
@Bigmac   if you followed the recipe in that earlier post then the BB code for the photo should have been added to the text of the post you were writing when you went to "Add image to post...".  You don't have to do anything else, just save the post and the photo will be included in it. 

I've found the only time you don't get the BB code inserted is if you try and add a photo that's too large or not acceptable in some other way. If that happens then the pop-up window where you selected the photo and gallery etc. stays open (but unfortunately doesn't expand to actually show an error).

"Add image to post and upload to gallery" works 100% for me as long as the photo file is acceptable.  I very rarely use any of the other ways of adding photos directly to my gallery.

If you do want to re-use a photo that's already uploaded, just click on it to get to the page with gives you BB Code link underneath, copy that and paste into your post.   If I'm using that method to re-use a photo I open another browser window to find the photo and the BB code.

i have no idea what a bb code is.

njee20

Are you being intentionally obtuse? There was literally a step by step guide. Follow it, in 4 clicks, and your picture will appear. It's pretty unlikely the forum works differently for you than every other member.

I agree with some comments, there are far too many sub-forums, the A-Z are pointless, and huge catch all threads on stuff like Kato I think are useless. Yet many posts on Kato just get directed to "post in the Kato thread", so it becomes a pointless echo chamber. But that's fine, clearly it's of use to some, so no issue.

We've done merging of threads, and it's much better of late. There was a particular mod prone to doing it. It's basically the worst idea ever. There are incredibly few circumstances where merging threads is ever a good idea.

There are a few members who seem to pop up everywhere, either as an 'authority' on literally everything, or adding utterly pointless comments, presumably to get their post count up. That's fine. I roll my eyes inwardly and move on. To those asking "I hope that's not me?!" If you have the self awareness to consider that then you're safe ;)

It's concerning the eBay Madness thread was deleted because a mod didn't like it. It had got pointless, purely becoming 'look at this thing listed for more than I personally value it at', but even so, not sure why one person can unilaterally decide that deleting it is the answer.

I can live with the foibles of the forum because I like it. If people start messing about with content then that is a sure fire way to disengage the membership, and then it dies. Indeed I recall the previously referenced thread which was locked because "it had run its course", and that's really dangerous; again it becomes a unilateral decision that active discussion is no longer needed. But at the time the decision was reversed. I find some mods far better than others. In general light touch = good. Everything in moderation. Including moderation.

Bigmac

Quote from: njee20 on April 20, 2022, 08:01:24 PM
Are you being intentionally obtuse? There was literally a step by step guide. Follow it, in 4 clicks, and your picture will appear. It's pretty unlikely the forum works differently for you than every other member.

I agree with some comments, there are far too many sub-forums, the A-Z are pointless, and huge catch all threads on stuff like Kato I think are useless. Yet many posts on Kato just get directed to "post in the Kato thread", so it becomes a pointless echo chamber. But that's fine, clearly it's of use to some, so no issue.

We've done merging of threads, and it's much better of late. There was a particular mod prone to doing it. It's basically the worst idea ever. There are incredibly few circumstances where merging threads is ever a good idea.

There are a few members who seem to pop up everywhere, either as an 'authority' on literally everything, or adding utterly pointless comments, presumably to get their post count up. That's fine. I roll my eyes inwardly and move on. To those asking "I hope that's not me?!" If you have the self awareness to consider that then you're safe ;)

It's concerning the eBay Madness thread was deleted because a mod didn't like it. It had got pointless, purely becoming 'look at this thing listed for more than I personally value it at', but even so, not sure why one person can unilaterally decide that deleting it is the answer.

I can live with the foibles of the forum because I like it. If people start messing about with content then that is a sure fire way to disengage the membership, and then it dies. Indeed I recall the previously referenced thread which was locked because "it had run its course", and that's really dangerous; again it becomes a unilateral decision that active discussion is no longer needed. But at the time the decision was reversed. I find some mods far better than others. In general light touch = good. Everything in moderation. Including moderation.

are you being intentionally offensive ( yet again ) ?

Bigmac

Quote from: Bigmac on April 20, 2022, 05:25:52 PM
Quote from: Bigmac on April 20, 2022, 05:21:03 PM
ive just tried adding a photo following the post  earlier in this thread.

dunno where it is.

found it--its in my photos. 
Now--how do i get it into here ?

seems ive done it..at last.

emjaybee

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Bigmac

Quote from: emjaybee on April 20, 2022, 08:49:33 PM
Well done!

:claphappy:

thank you..but its an awkward time consuming process. Give me copy / paste anytime.

Tank

Quote from: Bigmac on April 20, 2022, 09:19:58 PM
thank you..but its an awkward time consuming process. Give me copy / paste anytime.

It really isn't, you're just not used to it.  I'm glad that you can now do it.  As I've said before, the next big update for SMF (our forum platform) allows many more features, and I hope to update the Gallery to make it more like other platforms.  I can't make the forum exactly how I'd like it as I don't have the millions of pounds that social networks invest in their platforms, so I have to rely on other clever people to make the modifications.

The next big task for the forum is to invest money on upgrading the old 'modifications', so that I can use a more recent version of PHP.  This will have a huge knock on effect on me spending hundreds of pounds of members donations on NSE models, apparently.   ::)  Honestly, some people. :no:

emjaybee

Quote from: Bigmac on April 20, 2022, 09:19:58 PM
Quote from: emjaybee on April 20, 2022, 08:49:33 PM
Well done!

:claphappy:

It's easy really, it's like anything, do it a few times and you'll be rolling.
Brookline build thread:

emjaybee

@Bigmac is that a pic of your layout?

Now you're getting the hang of posting pics, how about a thread about your layout?
Brookline build thread:

Bigmac

Quote from: emjaybee on April 20, 2022, 10:43:52 PM

Now you're getting the hang of posting pics, how about a thread about your layout?

that pic was of my attempt at a stanier class 4 mogul--still work in progress.  The layout is now gone. I had sold my house before xmas--and decided to  sell the layout i had bought ready to play.

However a change of plans means the house sale is off...the railway room is now back to being the dining room, and a new layout is under way in a smaller bedroom.

Bealman

Love all the dirty banana vans in the background!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bigmac

Quote from: Bigmac on April 21, 2022, 08:15:12 AM
Quote from: emjaybee on April 20, 2022, 10:43:52 PM

that pic was of my attempt at a stanier class 4 mogul--still work in progress.  The layout is now gone. I had sold my house before xmas--and decided to  sell the layout i had bought ready to play.

However a change of plans means the house sale is off...the railway room is now back to being the dining room, and a new layout is under way in a smaller bedroom.

i will start a new thread about the new layout.  Ive tried uploading a few pix--in my gallery but cant seem to post here yet--i'll get there eventually.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations