Mystery Snowplough

Started by jmupton2000, March 23, 2022, 08:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmupton2000

Hello

In amongst a box of spares or repair junk I bought many years ago, I found a heavy (white metal?) snowplough:

Does anyone know who made it please? 

As I now have a pair of the NGS ones, this is now surplus to requirements and I am intrigued as to its origins.

Steven B

It looks like the GEM/Fleetline model.

Steven B.

Bealman

It's actually not too bad, though, I reckon!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

PaulCheffus

Quote from: Bealman on March 23, 2022, 09:51:47 AM
It's actually not too bad, though, I reckon!

Hi

The proportions are not right. I have one from years ago before I scratchbuilt mine (since replaced with the NGS RTR which also has its faults).

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

zwilnik

the way the axles are mounted it looks like it's die cast, which makes me think maybe it's an OOO Lonestar one? Did they ever do a snowplough?

JBQFC

it is a fleetline white metal kit i have a couple somewhere

John

GlenEglise

Quote from: JBQFC on March 23, 2022, 12:49:04 PM
it is a fleetline white metal kit i have a couple somewhere

John

Yes, I have one also.

Thank goodness the NGS did proper ones. !!!!   :claphappy: :claphappy:

Flange Squeal

I think it was made by a company called Skytrex. They produced a range of fully built and painted, white-metal, ready to run wagons in the 1980s. I think kit versions were available too. They are somewhat forgotten about these days but Skytrex were once a well known brand and attended many model exhibitions back in the day.

swisstrains

Quote from: Flange Squeal on November 30, 2022, 08:52:34 PM
I think it was made by a company called Skytrex. They produced a range of fully built and painted, white-metal, ready to run wagons in the 1980s. I think kit versions were available too. They are somewhat forgotten about these days but Skytrex were once a well known brand and attended many model exhibitions back in the day.

I agree. It certainly looks like a Skytrex one. If I remember correctly I bought mine from a model shop in Loughborough.
You can just about see it in this shot of my 1980's layout.

ntpntpntp

My immediate thought was Skytrex.  Not sure why as I've never owned one, maybe a friend had one decades ago.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/skytrex-gauge-snowplough-246167132
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

GAD

Skytrex moved away from railways and concentrated on Wargaming stuff, the name is still extant, but I believe has changed ownership several times.

martyn

Quote from: GAD on December 01, 2022, 10:24:19 AM

Skytrex moved away from railways and concentrated on Wargaming stuff, the name is still extant, but I believe has changed ownership several times.

The current Skytrex is concentrating on O gauge.

I have a 40T breakdown crane by the original company; the jib is a solid casting. Of course, they also made the LMS Garrett kit amongst other N gauge models.

martyn

GAD

Quote from: martyn on December 01, 2022, 10:32:51 AM
Quote from: GAD on December 01, 2022, 10:24:19 AM

The current Skytrex is concentrating on O gauge.

I have a 40T breakdown crane by the original company; the jib is a solid casting. Of course, they also made the LMS Garrett kit amongst other N gauge models.

martyn

I own quite a few Microtanks (1/300 scale) and aircraft bought over the 30 yrs or so I was a wargamer. I didn't realise they made anything other than Wargames stuff these days.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations