Fuel prices

Started by Newportnobby, March 08, 2022, 09:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Everyone is banging on about the cost of fuel but it doesn't affect me as I always only put £20 worth in :P

guest311

you won't need to take the car soon, just a can  :smiley-laughing:

yesterday local Tesco was £1.54.9p for petrol and £1.56.9p for diesel, have today heard, but have not confirmed myself, that it is now up overnight by 10p a litre.

your £20 won't get much soon, not even a jerry can full.

Paddy

Scary thing @Newportnobby , is that I can remember when you would struggle to get £20 of petrol in your car in one go!

I must be getting old.  :(

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

guest311

Quote from: Newportnobby on March 08, 2022, 09:05:22 AM
Everyone is banging on about the cost of fuel but it doesn't affect me as I always only put £20 worth in :P

the way things are going, you'll use that driving to the pumps, get home again, and need to go and put in another £20 worth....

>:D

Paul B

I pulled up at pump 3 at my local Asda fuel station yesterday, and happened to notice that the person who used it before me had only put £10 in.

I thought "Blimey - how far are they going - pump 4??"  ;D ;D
LNER and PKP fan in the home of the GWR!

Firstone18

Round here in Buckingham it is over £1.60 per liter for petrol today, no idea about diesel. This is another effect of the Ukraine conflict apparently, or being cynical (I am) is it the fuel suppliers who are taking advantage even though they source crude from oil producing regions away from Russia. I'm being careful not to specifically name any so as not to be too controversial.
This will, I suspect, have an impact on how much we travel about to visit  e.g. exhibitions and holiday destinations in the UK. It will certainly be a factor on my decisions regarding visiting exhibitions more than around 30 miles away.
Having said all that, I am prepared to accept this as I feel we all need to support the Ukrainians and stop buying anything from Russia.
Rant over.
Cheers
Keith
Finally, after waiting over 55 years I am building a permanent layout in a purpose built shed!

TrevL

Got to be honest, I'll pay whatever the price is.  Fortunately , I do so few miles being retired, I'm only filling up once every three months. Had my MOT today and have done the princely milage of 1624 since the last one.  However I couldn't do without the car due to SWMBO not being able to walk far.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

dannyboy

I have no choice but to pay the asking price, as Louisa works full time five days a week and does not drive. Her place of employment is ten miles away. I take her to work in a morning and bring her home again at tea-time,  so I do a minimum of 220 miles a week, including my trip to Tesco. I filled the car with petrol a week last Friday, at 180.9 cent per litre. Knowing that I should get the new car in a couple of weeks and that the price of petrol was only going in one direction, I put in another half a tank last Friday - at 193.9 cent per litre - a 13 cent rise in a week  :o. 193.9 cent per litre is roughly £1.62p, so it is not too bad at the moment, but as I said, the price is only going to go one way for the foreseeable future.  The Government here are, apparently, going to reduce the Excise duty as that is a 'home' duty. To reduce VAT, they have to get permission from the EU! I do think that everybody, from the refiners to the garage owners are jumping on the bandwagon though. I am afraid I am rather cynical, like @Firstone18 and get more cynical the older I get. For people that have no choice but to use their car, they are being held by the 'not long and not straight' bits.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Trainfish

I saw £177.9 per litre of diesel earlier. I have no choice doing around 750 miles per week in the company vehicle but am glad I'm not paying for it. I will probably do around 1000 miles in my car this year so it's not a huge issue on a personal level.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

mika

It's interesting to see this starting as a Jokes topic and gradually becoming less funny (otherwise only achieved by dannyboy's groaner thread :P)

I saw 2.18€ (1.81GBP) per litre of Diesel today :goggleeyes:

I'm just glad that I go to work by tram...

Best,
Michael

Newportnobby

Quote from: mika on March 08, 2022, 07:29:36 PM
It's interesting to see this starting as a Jokes topic and gradually becoming less funny (otherwise only achieved by dannyboy's groaner thread :P)

Thanks for the reminder - you beat me to it :D

Bob Tidbury

Paddy
My first `GALLON of petrol was 5s 3d so how old do you think I am ?
Bob Tidbury

Firstone18

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on March 09, 2022, 08:34:59 AM
Paddy
Bob Tidbury
Thinking back to when I was an apprentice, say 1973-ish, I seem to remember paying 65p for a gallon of Shell at my then local filling station. I would use about a gallon a day to and from work, and maybe a couple of gallons over the weekend i.e. seven gallons for less than the cost of just one gallon now!!
For the (much) younger people reading this, 5s 3d would have been the equivalent of 28p in today's money.
Cheers
Keith
Finally, after waiting over 55 years I am building a permanent layout in a purpose built shed!

chrism

Quote from: Firstone18 on March 09, 2022, 08:52:39 AM
Quote from: Bob Tidbury on March 09, 2022, 08:34:59 AM
Paddy
Bob Tidbury
Thinking back to when I was an apprentice, say 1973-ish, I seem to remember paying 65p for a gallon of Shell at my then local filling station. I would use about a gallon a day to and from work, and maybe a couple of gallons over the weekend i.e. seven gallons for less than the cost of just one gallon now!!
For the (much) younger people reading this, 5s 3d would have been the equivalent of 28p in today's money.

26p - 5/6 would be 28 new pence

geoffc

When I first started driving , 2 Star petrol was 4s 4d a gallon, road tax £10 and an MoT 10/6. According to the RAC out of every £1 spent on fuel 60p goes to the Tax Man, so we are paying nearly a £1 per litre in tax.

Geoff

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations