ADOBE ACROBAT READER BROKEN

Started by Newportnobby, January 29, 2022, 01:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

My laptop has been running very slowly so I looked at any programs I could uninstall and dealt with AnyRail, Skype and something called Bonjour :dunce:
Upshot is I cannot open any Adobe files and get an error message

The program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try re-installing the program to fix this problem

When I typed in api blah blah dll up popped Restoro saying it could repair the issue. Of course this lead to a download and thence to a price list ::)

I'm minded to take my laptop to a professional to have a butcher's at it for me as a couple of years ago 'Quicktime' lead to me losing my iTunes library by saying the update had installed OK and then informed me only 75% had been installed which has  :censored: it completely.

Any recommendations apart from throwing it against the wall please?

ntpntpntp

Adobe Reader is free software.  If you can find  it under control panel installed programs see if it has a repair option?  Otherwise I'd just go for a new install. 
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

PLD

Quickest and easiest is to download and reinstall the latest version. Standard reader is completely free direct from Adobe...
https://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/

"Bonjour" is Apple's network configuration software. On a Windows PC, it's probably come as part of the installation of an Apple product such as iTunes. You might need it to automatically connect to their servers.

Newportnobby

Quote from: ntpntpntp on January 29, 2022, 01:21:59 PM
Adobe Reader is free software.  If you can find  it under control panel installed programs see if it has a repair option?  Otherwise I'd just go for a new install.

According to my list of programs I already have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC version 21.011.20039 624MB with an instalment date of 16.1.22
Trouble is, I certainly did not instal Adobe then so I've no idea where that came from.
I tried at least 4 times this morning to download free Adobe Reader and each time it failed to install.
Should I uninstall the existing version and then try again?
Also listed as a program is Adobe 'Air' with an installed date of 2070 ???

ntpntpntp

I have the same version as you. 485mb installed/updated 11/01/2022.   

If you've been looking at PDF files then you must have installed it in the past as it's the standard thing to use.  I presume like mine it's set to auto-update as fixes come out.

Right-click on the program in the list give me the option to Uninstall or Change.  If you select Change it should load up the installer panel with the option to Repair, so try that first?

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

GAD

I've always unistalled then re install programs like that. Works, so far, for me.

Newportnobby

@ntpntpntp I followed your instructions to the letter, Nick, (repair) and was told it had successfully installed (Click 'Finish' to exit). Tried to open one of the many Adobe files I have and got the......

The program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try re-installing the program to fix this problem

Looks like I'll have to uninstall and start again, as @GAD suggests.

GlenEglise

Quote from: Newportnobby on January 29, 2022, 09:25:07 PM
@ntpntpntp I followed your instructions to the letter, Nick, (repair) and was told it had successfully installed (Click 'Finish' to exit). Tried to open one of the many Adobe files I have and got the......

Do you use C Cleaner?

Apparently it can sometimes remove the odd .dll that it should leave alone.

However the common remedy is to ensure that your Windows version has all the latest Updates installed.

Hope this helps before you need to spend any money.

GE

Newportnobby

Quote from: GlenEglise on January 29, 2022, 09:44:32 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on January 29, 2022, 09:25:07 PM

Do you use C Cleaner?
Apparently it can sometimes remove the odd .dll that it should leave alone.

Never heard of it, let alone use it, Glen :dunce:

This morning.......
Adobe uninstall - check
Adobe reinstall - check
Adobe launch - The program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try re-installing the program to fix this problem

:doh: :headbutt: :computerangry: :computerangry: :dighole:

dannyboy

@Newportnobby
Mick, I did a search on the problem and various articles turned up. This one -

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0dll-is-missing/b593b94e-6691-423b-a586-0b7f10131e35

may be of help, especially the last item. It does make reference to 'CC Cleaner', as mentioned earlier in the thread - maybe you have it installed without realising it? Just a thought.  I have in the past found a couple of programmes on a previous computer which were not shown in Explorer or anywhere else!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Malc

I haven't checked but I suspect the api is a windows system file and acrobat needs it to run. Do a search on your c drive and see if it's there. You could try the windows repair and see it it picks it up.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

PLD

OK, so it looks like it's actually an MS Visual Studio C++ component missing. (if it's an essential for Acrobat Reader, I'm a bit surprised at Adobe not including it in their download...)

Option 1: for someone who is reasonably tech-savvy is download and install  C++ redistributable from Microsoft.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Option 2: try a different PDF reader. A couple of options that have good reviews are:

Newportnobby

@dannyboy @Malc @PLD

Definitely no CC Cleaner
Checked C drive - Windows - no api file
SlimPDF downloaded and I can see my PDFs but can't work out how to get full page view as per Adobe :dunce:

Getting there!!

dannyboy

I do not know how 'SlimPDF' works Mick, but does pressing <Control> and <+> together help?
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

Quote from: dannyboy on January 30, 2022, 11:59:07 AM
I do not know how 'SlimPDF' works Mick, but does pressing <Control> and <+> together help?

Thanks, David, but  :no:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations