The Adventures of Globibahn

Started by Globibahn, January 17, 2021, 09:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mika

Looks very well protected, Matt  :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, with the third wave being upon us in Germany your trip will have to be postponed even more, doesn't it?  :worried:

Best,
Michael

Globibahn

Quote from: mika on March 28, 2021, 05:27:51 PM
Looks very well protected, Matt  :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, with the third wave being upon us in Germany your trip will have to be postponed even more, doesn't it?  :worried:

Best,
Michael

Ja das stimmt. Ich kann nur hier sitzen und Deutsch lernen! Hoffentlich wird diese Pandemie endlich vorbei sein.

I can only sit here learning German. hopefully the pandemic will soon be over! :D

mika

Well, at least that's time well spent. Very good language skills  :thumbsup:

Alcazar

Maybe this is something for you - if there are no license issues. Better than learning from a book!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEbOMLs6iZ0

Peter

Globibahn

I've been rather quiet on this post, however lots has been happening.

1. I've renovated the whole flat, it's almost complete and ready to let out. Agent is coming over on Thursday to check over the improvements.
2. All railway items are over at mum's in cryogenic storage.  :D In return I've done up her garden woodwork for her.
3. Initial lodgings in Germany have been arranged, with my language exchange partner Hannah in Dresden.
4. Yoga students have been informed I'm shutting down classes.

I really want to be in Dresden by Christmas (because it's the home of Stollen cake). I'll be taking Eurostar to Brusells (with all the worldly goods I can carry) and ICE or Thalys to Frankfurt (with a night stop-over), then ICE to Dresden. First time I'll ever be booking a one-way distance ticket.

I'm absolutely terrified, which is probably a good sign!   :o

NScaleNotes

Sounds great.

Thalys!  :thumbsup:
Don't know why but I love it plus you can have a different train on each leg. Bonus.

I know it probably won't help but don't be terrified, it sounds like you've got all the basics covered and you've given yourself the breathing room to enjoy your time from the moment you get there. Plus it's not like you won't be able to get anything you forget when you get there. I hate the plane, ugh dirty word, but if worse came to the worse you can always nip back quickly on a cheap flight.

I've moved from the England to the US, back to England and now I'm moving to Scotland at about the same time as you'll be heading off to Germany. It does get easier and less stressful each time you do it.

Exciting times!

swisstrains

Hi Matt. Because I was a bit pushed for time this morning I skipped through your post more quickly than normal. That was, until the phrase "mum's in cryogenic storage" really made me pay attention and after reading it properly, breathe a sigh of relief.  :D
I'm sure that after all your planning the move will go nice and smoothly and you will settle into the German way of life without any problems.
Although we have never met you always come across as an amiable, friendly kind of person and I am sure these qualities will help you make many new friends wherever you choose to travel. In a couple of months you will have settled down and be wondering what all the fuss was about.   ;D

railsquid

Good luck!

I left home a little over 30 years ago (eek) at the tender age of 18 with a one-way ticket to Berlin (ferry to Ostende and a D-Zug smelling strongly of Deutsche Reichsbahn, no tunnel or cheap flights in those days), and totally forgot to go back.

Globibahn

Globibahn

Quote from: swisstrains on October 19, 2021, 03:47:52 PM
Hi Matt. Because I was a bit pushed for time this morning I skipped through your post more quickly than normal. That was, until the phrase "mum's in cryogenic storage" really made me pay attention and after reading it properly, breathe a sigh of relief.  :D
I'm sure that after all your planning the move will go nice and smoothly and you will settle into the German way of life without any problems.
Although we have never met you always come across as an amiable, friendly kind of person and I am sure these qualities will help you make many new friends wherever you choose to travel. In a couple of months you will have settled down and be wondering what all the fuss was about.   ;D

Ha ha yes, mum is at a perfectly conventional ambient room temperature and doing nicely!

Thank you John, those are really nice things for you to say. Equally, I have always felt very at home on this forum, luckily I can take NGF with me on my travels (so-to-speak), it will just about squeeze into backpack! ;D

Globibahn

Quote from: railsquid on October 19, 2021, 04:11:14 PM
Good luck!

I left home a little over 30 years ago (eek) at the tender age of 18 with a one-way ticket to Berlin (ferry to Ostende and a D-Zug smelling strongly of Deutsche Reichsbahn, no tunnel or cheap flights in those days), and totally forgot to go back.

Thank you, you have already experienced all this then! :beers:

GScaleBruce

Good luck / bon voyage / Gute Reise
My student year abroad, split between France and Germany, was one of the most formative years of my life and I look back on it fondly, so I'm sure you'll have a great experience!
Bruce
My DB themed layout - Steinheim am Main My BR themed layout - Stoneham Yard My T-Trak module - Güterbahnhof Friesdorf
My SNCF modelling thread - Gare de Ligugé My layout planning thread - Peterhampton Junction

Globibahn

Quote from: GScaleBruce on October 19, 2021, 05:32:30 PM
Good luck / bon voyage / Gute Reise
My student year abroad, split between France and Germany, was one of the most formative years of my life and I look back on it fondly, so I'm sure you'll have a great experience!

Thank you sir!

I've just signed initial letting agent paperwork to lease out my UK flat. I'd be aiming to make my foreign move 15th Dec, if all goes to plan.

railsquid

Quote from: Globibahn on October 19, 2021, 04:40:44 PM
Quote from: railsquid on October 19, 2021, 04:11:14 PM
Good luck!

Thank you, you have already experienced all this then! :beers:

Yeah, it was an interesting time (late 1991); and I never stopped moving east.

Globibahn

This looks like a very interesting rail feature in Dresden.

https://goo.gl/maps/aGBnvJd4zpyaoqeE8

It's one of the biggest seemingly dissused freight area I know of!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations