Import Duty etc On Goods From UK After 1 January 2021

Started by dannyboy, December 08, 2020, 07:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve836

Perhaps it will encourage UK manufacturers to get off their behinds and make stuff here.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

red_death

Quote from: steve836 on December 29, 2020, 10:31:16 AM
Perhaps it will encourage UK manufacturers to get off their behinds and make stuff here.

Why would Brexit have any impact on where things are manufactured? Most model trains (for example) are manufactured in China - Brexit has no impact on the manufacturing side as nothing has changed. The impact of Brexit is on the sales side of things which will become more burdensome for businesses exporting from the UK to the EU or for customers importing from the EU to the UK.

Chris Morris

It shouldn't affect where model railway stuff is made. It could affect other things.
For instance there is an 80% (or around that level) tariff on ebikes from China into the EU. Whether this is because China is dumping or the EU being protectionist is not for debate here. Because of this tariff there are a number of smallish companies building ebikes in the UK using largely Chinese parts. If this tariff is dropped by the UK then it is likely that the UK assemblers will struggle but there should be plenty of very cheap Chinese ebikes available.  So if you are looking for a cheap ebike it may be worth waiting a few months.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

daffy

I suspect I shall still buy most of my new rolling stock from European sellers like MSL and DMT as I don't expect much of a change in their service other than a dearer postage rate, and perhaps a slower delivery. Nothing is ever so urgent that I must have it straight away.

Time will tell, and if things change drastically then I shall do what I've always done: look around for the best service/price/delivery combination.

Whatever the overall item prices turn out to be from manufacturers and retailers all across the World in the future, if I want a particular item, I will have to pay the going rate.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Paul J

Quote from: Alcazar on December 29, 2020, 09:23:18 AM
Did you exhibit in Stuttgart?
Peter

It was in Boulogne sur Mer with my RhB layout with my friend Gordon (of this forum). I have also done so several times with his layouts. I did go to Stuttgart as a punter back in 2017.

We are both members of the same club so that should provide a work-around for that problem.

Paul J

Quote from: Chris Morris on December 29, 2020, 11:34:14 AM
Because of this tariff there are a number of smallish companies building ebikes in the UK using largely Chinese parts. If this tariff is dropped by the UK then it is likely that the UK assemblers will struggle but there should be plenty of very cheap Chinese ebikes available.

As I understand it, the rules of origin aspects of the agreement come into force in 2026. This is probably to keep Nissan in the UK until after the next election.

So those UK e-bike manufacturers should be able to sell until then before being slapped with tariffs to sell into the EU.

guest373

From the Guardian
Quote;
Holidaymakers or online shoppers who buy items from the EU that are valued at more than £390 will have to pay customs duties, the government has revealed.

VAT and handling fees may also apply on some items, while parcels may be held up in post offices until all duties and fees have been cleared by the recipient in the UK.

It(Royal Mail) said: "For items under £135 (with the exception of gifts), VAT will be collected directly when they buy the goods online. For goods with a value over £135 (and gifts over £39), Royal Mail may collect the VAT and customs duties from the customer prior to delivery. These charges are applied on behalf of HM Revenue & Customs."

The gov web site was like going down a rabbit hole with the information so well hidden I could not find it. I also tried Post Office site - ditto result.

Tony

ntpntpntp

@gawain   yes seen that same info quoted on a G scale forum.

So what I'm not quite clear about is how this will affect me when buying something from Ebay Germany or directly from a German shop such as DM Toys?
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

guest311

luckily, my main 'imports' are for wargames stuff from China, and yes I do suitably sanitize before opening, wash hands, sing happy birthday, distance myself from SWMBO, well she doesn't need to know what I've bought  >:D

then a wee dram, internal sanitization, then open the bag....

one thing to remember is, over £15 attracts VAT, which then attracts RM's £8 admin charge, but as they come with free postage, I just make sure that no order is over £14.00  :thumbsup:

mind you, this does mean more parcels, hence more internal sanitization  :beers:

it's a hard life. :bounce:

Paul J

The big impact for UK outline modellers I would expect is stuff from Shapeways which is printed in the Netherlands.

Hiawatha

I think that buying from a shop will be less of a problem and they will simply deduct VAT from purchases which you will have to pay. So, other than some handling fee it won't make a huge difference.
Buying from ebay from a private seller or small businesses which can't deduct VAT from a price means you will have to pay UK VAT, so this will get expensive.

In December I have made a final EU-internal purchase from a UK dealer, and he has this on his website:

Quote from: www.nscaleamericantrains.co.uk/en/
BREXIT, VAT and EU Customers

I HAVE READ THROUGH HUNDREDS OF PAGES OF LEGISLATION AND AS FAR AS I CAN TELL, TRADING WITH EU CUSTOMERS WILL NOT BE AFFECTED

VAT WILL STILL BE CHARGED BY ME AND NO OTHER COSTS WILL BE LEVIED IN THE RECEIVING COUNTRY

I can't believe this to be true. I think if I would order again from him and he doesn't deduct VAT, then I would have to pay Austrian VAT of 20% of the full purchase price+shipping. Don't think that I will try out this soon.
Peter

Paul J

Hiawatha

Yeah, he looks to have misunderstood.

It is easy to confuse tariffs, VAT and duties (which I did earlier on in this thread). I think it is fair to say that some British businesses are on a steep learning curve.  :doh:

To be fair to him, I am presuming he does not pay VAT on his imports as a VAT registered business. Not the same for the end consumer.

njee20

Quote from: Paul J on December 29, 2020, 02:39:15 PM
The big impact for UK outline modellers I would expect is stuff from Shapeways which is printed in the Netherlands.

I doubt 1% of modellers ever buy anything from Shapeways, and that's probably dwindling thanks to their self sabotage!

Paul J

We'll soon find out where the impact is. Not really much point in arguing about it, which is not what I come here to do anyway.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations