A British domestic train from Kato? 800 series available from May 2021

Started by woodbury22uk, February 09, 2019, 10:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbury22uk

Over on groups.io  Maurice of Osborns Models fame has reported on a conversation with Mr. Kato regarding a planned modern 1/148 scale train for the British market.

Speculation revolves around Hitachi Class 800 derivatives, or maybe a Class 395. The 5 car bimode 800s have plenty of potential liveries especially if they are outwardly very similar. TPE, Hull Trains, LNER, GWR for starters. And maybe the 9 cars all electrics could be accommodated too.

I would rule out the Eurostar ICE because I am sure that would be 1/160 scale, and a GNER Eurostar would use the existing 1/160 mouldings.

Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Newportnobby

Interesting :hmmm:
The 800 is, to me, a thing of beauty but I still won't be getting one. Be nice to see one, though.

railsquid

Mr. Kato has been in the UK very recently, according to his Facebook posts, so there might be something to that.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

jpendle

I'm interested, very!

Kato had better do their research on DCC though. Their existing US models need a full PCB replacement, rather than a simple, plug the decoder in.

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

njee20

They're starting to do 'proper' DCC now, and I'm sure they'd do their homework on local preferences for a new model. I hope anyway!

What's the score with Hornby's exclusivity on the 800s? Presumably Kato would have to pay a licence fee to Hornby. One imagines that would be rather easy to absorb, mind.

Seems an obvious choice. Given they were apparently dissatisfied with sales volumes on the Eurostars I can't imagine they'd do a GNER one.

Interesting stuff.

jpendle

The exclusive licence intrigues me as well.

Time for a new topic.

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

NeMo

Quote from: jpendle on February 09, 2019, 04:11:43 PM
The exclusive licence intrigues me as well.

So it'll be a 66 then. Nobody's done one of those yet.  ;)

NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

gc4946

A Javelin would go alongside their Eurostar despite its scale differences.

However an 800 would have wider appeal.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

woodbury22uk

If it is like the diecast car world then exclusive licences are scale specific so Hornby would not have paid for an N licence unless they intended to make the model.

A direct parallel exists in the model bus market where Corgi Collectibles have the exclusive licence for the 1/76 scale New Routemaster, Oxford Diecast have it for 1/148 N version , and Tiny have it for 1/110 scale.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

woodbury22uk

Quote from: jpendle on February 09, 2019, 03:09:46 PM
I'm interested, very!

Kato had better do their research on DCC though. Their existing US models need a full PCB replacement, rather than a simple, plug the decoder in.

John P

The most recent SNCF TGV models have had 6 pin connectors for DCC.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

njee20

Quote from: woodbury22uk on February 09, 2019, 04:36:36 PM
If it is like the diecast car world then exclusive licences are scale specific so Hornby would not have paid for an N licence unless they intended to make the model.

A direct parallel exists in the model bus market where Corgi Collectibles have the exclusive licence for the 1/76 scale New Routemaster, Oxford Diecast have it for 1/148 N version , and Tiny have it for 1/110 scale.

I thought as much, but according to things Ben Ando, among others more knowledgeable than me have heard, apparently the Hornby deal is for all scales. Now... if they told Hitachi they'd do an N gauge one, but aren't, and are blocking others who may have paid Hitachi, they may be negotiable.

Although I imagine any license fee due to Hornby would be pocket change to Kato.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: NeMo on February 09, 2019, 04:34:24 PM
So it'll be a 66 then. Nobody's done one of those yet.  ;)
Kato already do 66s in the correct scale for n gauge   :D
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: njee20 on February 09, 2019, 06:15:21 PM
I thought as much, but according to things Ben Ando, among others more knowledgeable than me have heard, apparently the Hornby deal is for all scales.

Perhaps Kato could manufacturer it for release under Hornby branding.

njee20

I'm sure they could, but I can't see why they would, that'd be like me setting up Nick's Trains and getting Farish to brand a model as mine!

For Hornby it's got to be the perfect solution - probably the largest brand in the industry, with the deepest pockets, offering to pay a licence cost. If it's a per-unit cost then they're away, probably solves their financial woes in one fell swoop!

Would be great, given Kato's tendency to offer 'proper' book sets of 8+ coaches; rather than piecemeal sets where you wait 3 years for the mismatched coaches!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations