Class 180 Adelante Kit

Started by G_N_E_R, April 20, 2016, 08:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowwolflair

All the parts have now arrived and I will start to build over the next week.  I did have one problem as the Class 170 Farish coach bogie frames are no longer available.  There is a nice set of bogies from CMAC on Shapeways but whilst they look very good they are very scale in dimensions and consequently weak so for display rather than use.  For this reason I have generated a set of robust bogies based on the correct bogie style but giving running strength.

I am just reaming out the bearings and they look as if they will fit the bill.

Snowwolflair

Here are the parts that will make up the new couplings.  They are NEM pockets so other types of coupling could also be used.  the main problem was the power coach as I did not want to attach them to the bogies as they are polythene and almost impossible to add pockets to.

The solution is a simple pivot.  This is where desktop 3D printing comes into its own, allowing small technical parts to be made quickly and easily.

robert shrives

That is a neat solution - I had thought of using micro trains units between cars but now the hunt magnetic offers better choice. I do like  the powered car coupler mount allowing chassis freedom, but limiting end to end movement.   

I do wonder if coupler supports need a mm or more as corridor connections look dead tight.
A little while back I added fine mesh to inside of chassis and painted black. Current 170s give an Olympian leap sized gap so these are a vast improvement.

happy modelling
Robert 

Snowwolflair

The trick is to ream the inside of the loops. every 0.1mm reamed gives 0.3mm spacing improvement so I will adjust just enough.

Snowwolflair

Today I tested and fitted the swing arms for the couplings.  I have gone for as tight a coupling as possible and the arms can be trimmed in fractions to get the best fit.  As you can see it is a close fit and better than I expected.

Snowwolflair

Test run with the new couplings.

Snowwolflair

As you can see I have reworked my original model to prove the new couplings.  I will now take my time to prepare and build the new model.

pape_timmo

That looks brilliant.

Cheers, Timmo
There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

njee20

Does look the part that, nicely done.

Snowwolflair

Some progress with the second set.  At the block colour stage.  Black roofs and details next than I need to sort out the transfers and varnish.

Snowwolflair

Been a while as I waited for a new set of transfers to be printed.

The windows have been laser cut (they still have their protective polyethene), and I will glue them in place over the next few days.

Snowwolflair

Graham

Snowwolflair

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations