"Junk" Twitter emails

Started by Tdm, October 28, 2015, 10:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tdm

Over the past few months I keep getting emails from various people I don't know on "Twitter", but I don't use Twitter and have no intention of joining.

I try to "Bounce" each msg back - but it always comes back with an undeliverable mail message.

I am on Windows 10 - how can I block all Twitter messages?

Regards

Terry

Bealman

I get 'em all the time from local TV stations and Aussie politicians.... I've never been on twitter!

Just delete them, that's all I do.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Malc

I don't know which email client you use, or if you use web mail, but some clients allow you to say that a message is spam. It then filters all these messages to your spam folder and then deletes them.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Tdm

Quote from: Malc on October 28, 2015, 10:50:48 AM
I don't know which email client you use, or if you use web mail, but some clients allow you to say that a message is spam. It then filters all these messages to your spam folder and then deletes them.

Hi Malc,
I use Incredimail "wrapped" round Gmail - so will have a look into both to see if I can do as you say.

dannyboy

One thing you should not do with 'unwanted mail', is acknowledge its existence in any way. If an email is 'bounced', it is letting the sender know that the email address is a real one, so you are then leaving yourself open to even more 'unwanted mail'. The senders of these emails have no idea whether the email addresses they are using are real or not - their computers just generate hundreds/thousands of addresses and some of them will turn out to be real addresses. I know it can be a pain in the proverbial, but just delete them if your email client does not put them in the 'spam' bin. As has been suggested, most email programmes can be taught what is spam and what is not. Incidentally, I use 'Yahoo' and 'Gmail'. Yahoo gets about 3 spam emails a day, whilst I am unlucky if I get 3 a week with Gmail.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Oldun

Your lucky. I use yahoo mail and get on average in my spam folder 70/80 per day :(

Saturday was the best with 101  :goggleeyes:

99% of these are US based, I just delete the lot :thumbsup:

Roger
Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

MikeDunn

Quote from: dannyboy on November 09, 2015, 07:47:36 PM
If an email is 'bounced', it is letting the sender know that the email address is a real one
Er - wrong way around ...

If an email 'bounces', it's because it has failed to deliver.  Therefore the sender knows the address is not valid.  Been this way since ... well, since at least 1992, when I did X.400 training !

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounce_message

dannyboy

Quote from: MikeDunn on November 09, 2015, 08:00:45 PM

Er - wrong way around ...

If an email 'bounces', it's because it has failed to deliver.  Therefore the sender knows the address is not valid.  Been this way since ... well, since at least 1992, when I did X.400 training !

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounce_message

Thanks for that Mike. Maybe I got my reply a bit wrong, however,  (taken from the wiki item quoted - "a bounce, is an automated electronic mail message from a mail system informing the sender of another message about a delivery problem". I started reading the article but gave up when my brain started hurting  :). If a 'bounce' is an automated response, how does one set up an automatic 'bounce'? Just curious.  :confused2:

What I should have said originally, is do not reply to any unwanted email - that way you are showing that your email address is real. David.
David.

dannyboy

Quote from: Oldun on November 09, 2015, 07:58:13 PM
Your lucky. I use yahoo mail and get on average in my spam folder 70/80 per day :(

Saturday was the best with 101  :goggleeyes:

99% of these are US based, I just delete the lot :thumbsup:

Roger

101!! :goggleeyes: :goggleeyes: :goggleeyes:
David.

keithfre

Quote from: Tdm on October 28, 2015, 01:31:08 PM
I use Incredimail "wrapped" round Gmail.
For my gmail account I use Thunderbird and filter out any senders that I don't want to receive messages from. Works fairly well.

Dorsetmike

I use Thunderbird and my ISP is ntlworld (part of the Virgin empire) I don't get any spam unless you count the very occasional (less than 1 a month) one from a bank I've never dealt with presumably my ISP copes with it if any appears.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Graham Walters

Quote from: dannyboy on November 09, 2015, 07:47:36 PM
One thing you should not do with 'unwanted mail', is acknowledge its existence in any way. If an email is 'bounced', it is letting the sender know that the email address is a real one, so you are then leaving yourself open to even more 'unwanted mail'. The senders of these emails have no idea whether the email addresses they are using are real or not - their computers just generate hundreds/thousands of addresses and some of them will turn out to be real addresses. I know it can be a pain in the proverbial, but just delete them if your email client does not put them in the 'spam' bin. As has been suggested, most email programmes can be taught what is spam and what is not. Incidentally, I use 'Yahoo' and 'Gmail'. Yahoo gets about 3 spam emails a day, whilst I am unlucky if I get 3 a week with Gmail.  :)

Beat me to it.

Get a G Mail account, flag is as Spam, it stays in the spam folder for 30days then gets deleted automatically.

Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Closed Public and Bank Holidays

Graham Walters

You don't have to have a twitter account to get their emails, what has probably happened is that someone somewhere has allowed Twitter to scrape their PC, and your e-mail address was on it.
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Closed Public and Bank Holidays

port perran

I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Dorsetmike

Quote from: port perran on November 10, 2015, 08:38:10 PM
What's Twitter ?   :D

Another of those "soshul meeja" crapplications  like faecesbook, best avoided if you want to keep your sanity - and privacy. Skype is much better for keeping in touch, especially  if you managed to not upgrade it when Microsloth got their hands on it and add cr@p to it (I'm still running V6.22 from 2014).
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations