ITS THE FINAL COUNTDOWN! NEW FARISH CATALOGUE 20TH JULY!

Started by bluedepot, June 21, 2014, 06:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeDunn

Quote from: mr bachmann on June 23, 2014, 07:58:26 PM
dont know - 00 Bachmann Summerset & Dorset 2-8-0 , make em' by the hundred's , and they sell ...
Lemme see ... a model of a class of locomotive (11 made, 1914 - 1964, 2 preserved) that had a wide-spread visibility compared with a set of 30 wagons (I was a bit optimistic earlier at 50-ish) that lasted 1953 to 1974, were only seen between Tyne Dock Bottom and Consett Low Yard, and all were scrapped ...  Not like-for-like, is it now ?

There are few people interested enough in this very limited appeal wagon type to make it worth even one very small-scale model company doing it in small runs (maybe 10 kits a batch ...); and frankly, I am surprised a second company started making them recently seeing as another had already done them !  Although I suspect in each case, the company owner either fancied making something no-one else did, or was commissioned to make a small number for a rabid modeller and decided to keep the kit 'on the cards' !

It must be admitted that I am one of those 'few', as is a mate of mine (he used to play on them as a kid in the marshalling yard, whereas SWMBO's granddad used to operate them out of Tyne Dock ...), hence I happen to know a reasonable amount about these units.  Not bought any of the OO kits yet, but I'll get at least two (if only to make the 'spare set' up that was held @ Tyne Dock for emergency use).

Mike

marco neri

.. I hope the "electric" families ...class 390 Pendolino and the others class 87/90/91 new version..possibly with 6 pin Dcc connectors..
...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

Newportnobby

Quote from: MikeDunn on June 23, 2014, 04:59:46 PM
Quote from: mr bachmann on June 23, 2014, 04:12:45 PM
and for the frieght side a tyne dock consert hopper .
Dream on ... there were only 50-ish ever made, far too small to be of interest to BachFar.

Don't see why not. It's not the sort of wagon you'd only buy one of, but rather a full rake, so you wouldn't need many modellers to be interested in it to get a high total run. It would go extremely well with the 9F that Farish dropped :-X
The only reason I put that last sentence in is I think they would have made a better job than Dapol did :-\

MikeDunn

Quote from: newportnobby on June 23, 2014, 09:28:59 PM
It's not the sort of wagon you'd only buy one of, but rather a full rake
I see where you're coming from - but the sets were short due to the weight of cargo ...  OK, unlike me (:D) you'd buy a handful - but even so, it's an extremely niche interest ...  It's not like the wagon types that were found pretty much everywhere; these never went outside their operating area of 28 miles end-to-end.

It would go extremely well with the 9F that Farish dropped :-X
Makes no difference; the Tyne Dock fit for the 9F isn't something that is available in N ... in OO it is, but again - it's extremely niche and only as a modification kit from a small company ...  Only 10 of them were used in Tyne Dock, but all were refitted quite differently from all the other 9Fs ... rivet-counters would string you up if you put an ordinary 9F on the front of these wagons  :laugh:

But I suppose if we can get Crosti boiler 9Fs in OO ... !

Ollie3440

There are a fair few things I would like to see, but I have only heard a few rumours floating around.

I believe Bachmann have said they are announcing three new locos. From what I've heard is that two of them will be a Re-tooled Class 40 and a Re-tooled King.

Ollie

:NGaugersRule:
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

Karhedron

Quote from: woodbury22uk on June 23, 2014, 05:22:51 PM
I know that it is claimed that electric trains do not sell well, but I am struggling to understand why there is no 4BEP in N or 00.
Part of the problem is that relatively few modellers in 00 have the space to run 8 or 12 coach trains. If the model is not being done in 00 as well, that reduces the chances of it being done in N gauge (even though prototypical-length rakes are more feasible).

I think that part of the problem is that there are still lots of unsold CEPs. That supports Bachmann's view that electrics do not sell well. Or at least, not well enough to get production slots that could be allocated to faster-selling diesel or steam prototypes. :(
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Roy L S

I think Karhedron has pretty much summed it up here personally.

Although we would all like to see our favourite loco(s) or rolling stock items produced and believe there would be a demand, stock remaining on shelves (and some at giveaway prices) tells it's own story and is hard to ignore.

Roy

Newportnobby

Interestingly, we ran a 'wishlist' poll in 2012 (and again in 2013). The 2012 results were sent to both Farish and Dapol.
Within the top 13 steam locos desired were a Schools, a Castle, a King and a Princess Coronation. The Castle and the Princess Coronation subsequently appeared in the Farish 2013/14 catalogue and the Schools may (don't hold your breath) appear from Dapol.
Diesel wise, we had an even better success rate. Within the top 10 were Classes 33, 25, 50, 22, 31, 40, 17 and the LMS twins. The classes 33, 25, 50, 31 and 40 were requests for new tooling versions. So....we have Dapol having produced the excellent class 22 and supposedly a 33 and a 50, the Farish 2013/14 catalogue featured new class 25 and 31, and the class 17 will be available from DJ Models.
I'm not saying the NGF poll necessarily had any effect on the manufacturers, but it does go to show we're all on pretty much the same wavelength. It will be interesting to see the Farish catalogue to see how many more locos are featured from our poll :D

Roy L S

For once I don't think Bachmann have to worry too much about Dapol getting the "drop" on them as far as new product announcements are concerned. I think Dapol have enough on their plate delivering already promised models, many release dates having been pushed back a fair way and some with only limited signs of development so far. It seems to me that diversification into 0 with the forthcoming "Terrier" etc has taken some resources away from the N range at least for a time.

Turning to Farish predictions, it doesn't exclude it by any means, but the King is not available in the Bachmann 00 range so no sharing of R&D costs, and would it not compete with the yet to be released Castle for sales potentially?

Looking at the 00 range, and thinking cost (both in terms of production and end price) could we see another 0-6-0 or possibly? The C Class must surely be a candidate?

I think the 40 is nailed on, I have heard the same prediction from so many different people, but beyond that, looking at the existing 00 range the Patriot stands out to me as a reasonable bet.

However what can't be ruled out is a completely new model being announced both for 00 and N simultaneously!

Roy

Karhedron

I did not expect to see the Castle from Farish as it is part of Hornby's 00 range so in some ways a King would be no less expected. However I do agree that it might compete with the Castle to some extent.

I have heard rumours that Farish are considering a Modified Hall. As a mixed traffic engine there is less competition with the Castle. Also the Modified Hall was recently released in 00 (with a few hiccups admittedly :doh: ) so would be an ideal candidate for a visit through the shrink ray. The obvious competition is the Dapol Hall. Although there are differences between the 2 classes, to the untrained eye, they are very similar locos.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Pengi

Quote from: newportnobby on June 24, 2014, 10:11:56 AM
. . . I'm not saying the NGF poll necessarily had any effect on the manufacturers, but it does go to show we're all on pretty much the same wavelength. It will be interesting to see the Farish catalogue to see how many more locos are featured from our poll :D
Not forgetting that Arnold are producing the Brighton Belle, which came second in the NGF Poll EMU category :)
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

BudgieJane

I'd like an Electrostar.

Correction. I'd like a couple of dozen of them.

Otherwise I might be forced to backdate my new layout and buy some of those 4CEPs that got mentioned earlier.
Best wishes

Jane

talisman56

I'd love a 4BEP, or failing that, the buffet car available as a stand-alone to add into an existing 4CEP unit. The best I can do at the moment is use a de-buffered Green RMB with the Bar/Kitchen side visible, but even then there are a few windows in the wrong place... Whether an RU or RBR would be a better substitute is a moot point as BR(SR) didn't have any of those in the 'Green' period.

Hopefully sales of the Hornby/Arnold 'Brighton Belle' units will be sufficient to persuade them to put the 2BIL and 2HAL units in the shrink-ray machine... and do a late Umber and Cream version (3052?).
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Pengi

Quote from: talisman56 on June 24, 2014, 02:56:17 PM

. . . Hopefully sales of the Hornby/Arnold 'Brighton Belle' units will be sufficient to persuade them to put the 2BIL and 2HAL units in the shrink-ray machine... and do a late Umber and Cream version (3052?).
. . . and a Pendolino - five cars will do to start with (just think, if Hornby/Arnold made a Pendolino it would shut me up going on about it :-X)
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations