Travel - Your Favorite Places - Where you've been and where you want to go...

Started by scottmitchell74, February 28, 2014, 02:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottmitchell74

Well!

What with the Game of Thrones connection (I'm a huge fan of the books, especially) and the glowing review here...Malta might just now be placed on the "bucket list".

:thankyousign:
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

ParkeNd

Quote from: scottmitchell74 on March 01, 2014, 09:56:43 PM
Well!

What with the Game of Thrones connection (I'm a huge fan of the books, especially) and the glowing review here...Malta might just now be placed on the "bucket list".

And "the Sinking of the Graf Spee". That's not Montivideo it's Malta and Gozo.

Bob Wild

ParkeNd

Claude Dreyfus

Quote from: joe cassidy on March 01, 2014, 07:17:18 PM
Hi Scott.

You mentioned Norway. I just got home today after a visit to Tromso (to see the Northern Lights) followed by a few days in Stockholm.

Be aware that these countries are very expensive, especially for alcohol. A glass of wine in a restaurant costs 10 euro, and a beer 8 euro.

The Nordic countries are very expensive (more so than either Japan or Switzerland - both traditionally expensive countries). Copenhagen is the worst in my experience, but Oslo (the only Nordic capital I have not visited as yet) is said to be even priceier.

Stockholm is thoroughly recommended though!

Tdm

Quote from: scottmitchell74 on March 01, 2014, 09:56:43 PM
Well!

Well just for you Scot (and Port Perran) I will scan in some photos taken in Malta between 1985 & 2000 and post a Link to them on here. Surprised no mentioned Comino - the small Island between Malta & Gozo which was one of our favourate places to go to bathe in the crystal clear waters of the Blue Lagoon there.

Unfortunately the really old Buses that used to be a special feature of Malta & Gozo I believe are no longer there.

grumbeast

Well, I guess I'll get stuck in here,

Places I've been top 3...

1. Well I lived in Canada for 16 years, did the transcontinental trip, and even drove from Vancouver to Halifax on my own which was an incredible thing to do.. I'm a dual citizen now and have a deep abiding love for the Canadian landscape ( all of it!)

2. This is a less obvious thing, but I spent a time railfanning on the Rhine, it was wonderful, the landscape was always so interesting.

3. I'll give a shout out to San Francisco too, I've travelled in the states a fair bit, and SF was the only city I ever really felt relaxed and comfortable, I'd love to go back

So.. My top three places I have to go...

3.  Like an idiot, despite living there, I never got up to take photos of trains in the fall in Cape Breton or the Gaspe peninsula

2. Related to the above, Vermont and New Hampshire in the fall...

1. Top of the list Japan, we're waiting till my daughter Is a little older, then we're going to..

Graham

Lawrence

Quote from: port perran on February 28, 2014, 07:19:04 PM
Malta is terrific and just missed out on my top 3. We were lucky we went before most of the old buses went out of service a couple of years ago.

My brother is good friends with the Tourism Minister out there and a couple of years ago he got the contract to deliver to open top London buses to the island, so he and one of his drivers drove them all the way from Dover (with the aid of some ferries) all the way to Malta.  With a top speed of 40 and the heating packing up on both buses it was a long, cold couple of days. They did get flown back first class though.

In recent years I have been lucky to visit some great places, Corfu remains high on my favs list as do most of the Greek islands, Croatia is up there too and despite the deprivation that exists in many of the Caribbean Islands, Virgin Gorda blew me away, and the south east coast of Ibiza and the old town was a pleasant surprise to me, I could go on and on but I tend to pick my destinations carefully to avoid disappointment.  But I am spoiled as I already live in my favourite country, for all its faults, Scotland is the most wonderful place to visit or live (though Corfu comes a close second)

But where to go next, Japan is but a pipe dream, I could never deal with a flight of the length now, I always wanted to visit the old Russia, before all the break up and troubles that came with it and more of the USA, I have probably clocked up a dozen or more states but would like to do more, especially in the north east.

We will probably go to one of the Greek islands again this year or possibly Menorca which is supposed to be very pretty and relatively quiet

Tdm

Malta - Further to my reply #35 I have scanned in some photos taken in Malta and it's neighbouring Islands between 1985 & 1997 and uploaded them to YouTube as a Slideshow. Did visit Malta up to year 2000 but used a camcorder to record the last few trips.

Bear in mind the photos are quite old and were taken a considerable number of years ago and my wife and I have grown older and the kids are now adults and have families of their own (we at present have 4 granddaughters and one grandson).

To take a look click on the Link, it's only a short video clip.
Nearlly bought an apartment in Birzebuggia once which was for sale very cheap,
but in the end decided against it, and ended up buying on Tenerife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=isqJZTdm0Ek

Agrippa

I'd like to visit Syria, North Korea, Ukraine, and  Afghanistan but I just don't have the dosh. :(

Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Tdm

Quote from: Agrippa on March 02, 2014, 06:46:16 PM
I'd like to visit Syria, North Korea, Ukraine, and  Afghanistan but I just don't have the dosh. :(

You'd only need a one-way ticket then as the odds are you wouldn't be coming back!  :no:

Trainfish

Agrippa I worked in Syria for 6 months and have to say it is (maybe I should now say was) an incredible place to visit. I would love to go back there but probably best not to visit at the moment. It would certainly make it into my list of the top 3 places visited.
I would also add Ghana where I worked at the Guinness brewery in Kumasi. Another hot country, although not quite as hot as the deserts of Syria, but working in the right place to quench the thirst  :beers:
Third place is a tough one having travelled extensively around the world but I think Hong Kong would just take it as I spent 3 years there from 1970 to 1972 and I'd like to go back and see with my own eyes how much it has changed since then.

It's almost impossible to think of 3 I haven't been to but would like to visit but off the top of my head I would probably have to say the Republic of Ireland, more of the Caribbean islands (only been to Barbados) and possibly Fiji.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Tdm

Quote from: Trainfish on March 02, 2014, 08:01:34 PM
Agrippa I worked in Syria for 6 months and have to say it is (maybe I should now say was) an incredible place to visit. I would love to go back there but probably best not to visit at the moment. It would certainly make it into my list of the top 3 places visited.
I would also add Ghana where I worked at the Guinness brewery in Kumasi. Another hot country, although not quite as hot as the deserts of Syria, but working in the right place to quench the thirst  :beers:
Third place is a tough one having travelled extensively around the world but I think Hong Kong would just take it as I spent 3 years there from 1970 to 1972 and I'd like to go back and see with my own eyes how much it has changed since then.

It's almost impossible to think of 3 I haven't been to but would like to visit but off the top of my head I would probably have to say the Republic of Ireland, more of the Caribbean islands (only been to Barbados) and possibly Fiji.

Been to quite a few Caribbean Islands, and of those seen my wife & I's favourites were Antigua, Aruba, Grand Caymen, Grenada, and St. Maartens. Didn't much care for the Dominican Republic, and a bit dissapointed with the British Virgen Islands. 
Best thing is to book a cruise to visits lots of them. 

Claude Dreyfus

Quote from: Tdm on March 02, 2014, 07:52:02 PM
Quote from: Agrippa on March 02, 2014, 06:46:16 PM

You'd only need a one-way ticket then as the odds are you wouldn't be coming back!  :no:

Then again, the same could be said for other countries a few years ago. China, Vietnam and Burma were all off-limits; but the first two are now well established tourist destinations and the latter is starting to appear in the brochures.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations