what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Not sure I understand that, Peter. Is your fiddle yard on view to 'the public' as usually it's just track on empty boards i.e. no scenics?

Alcazar

At shows and module weekends we run end-to-end, so the fiddle yards are always on view and also attract a lot of attention. We have both double track and single track fiddle yards - the singles are just termini with turntables, the doubles out and back. All the doubles are greened, the singles just track on board. In addition, my fiddle yard has the standard end piece, so there has to be some greening and, having the lockdown time on my hands, I just carried on! The fiddle yard in my cellar layout is also greened.

The above is 2016 - the front module connects to both double and single track modules, but I also have another exit board without the junction that allows single track running - both versions are in the control panel. I built the fiddle yard as a replacement for a Q&D five road out and back which I put together in about 4 weeks from odds and ends for our first exhibition. It served well for 20 years, but the single track fiddle yards were extended to accommodate 2 m trains and more, so it was essentially too small.

Peter

Newportnobby

Not exactly 'on' the layout but I've just spent 4 hours or so transforming perfectly good plywood into sawdust and kindling in an attempt to create 2 control panels for 'Kimbolted'. It took me the 4 hours to make one, and I'm not entirely happy with that one :no:
I had a rough night last night so was quite tired anyway but my brain cell just didn't want to function, resulting in much trimming and cursing. I kept hiding tools by putting something down on top of them and then stomping around muttering while I sought them out again. Hopefully the 2nd one will be better as I may, just may, have learned from some errors.

Newportnobby

Fiddling with the LHS of the Up fiddle yard as I'm replacing straight points with curved ones. I'd forgotten just how painful Fishplate Finger is (holes in end of fingers and thumbs :ouch:)
Those with Kato track don't suffer this affliction, but there again, they don't have curved points :P

dannyboy

Quote from: Newportnobby on September 16, 2021, 03:18:50 PM
Those with Kato track don't suffer this affliction, but there again, they don't have curved points :P

Okay, I admit it, points are the part of Kato Unitrack that I have been unable to adapt. (Double  :P !).  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

daffy

And  :P :P :P

- even though it's true, but one day..........

now where is that 'Pigs will fly' smiley when I need it?
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

AndyRA

If it looks difficult it probably is, but might as well get on with it anyway!

Layout :- West Coast (Southern Section)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=2531;u=5731

Full story and pics at:-
https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastSouthernSection/

Newportnobby

That brought back some great memories from my time in the 60s on the WCML. Love your AM10s, and some neat sounds too. :thumbsup:

chrislhurley

My Class 800 GWR from Kato now has sound thanks to an ESU decoder from DC Kits. A bit of fettling this afternoon to get the speaker safely installed but less work than expected overall. Very pleased.

crewearpley40

I second mick 's comments. Personally for me . Track cleaning

zwilnik

After re-learning my lesson about using spray cans indoors (ie open windows and use a mask) doing the primer, I got some actual layers of paint on my back scene, painted directly on the wall.

As the next time this layout is likely to be moved, that wall is very likely going to be demolished, or at least re-rendered, I'm not too worried about making it part of the layout for now :)

railsquid

Quote from: Newportnobby on September 16, 2021, 03:18:50 PM
Fiddling with the LHS of the Up fiddle yard as I'm replacing straight points with curved ones. I'd forgotten just how painful Fishplate Finger is (holes in end of fingers and thumbs :ouch:)

Those of us using Tomix track have the best of both worlds :P :P

Kris

I've been adding droppers to get a little closer to having a running railway.

LASteve

Looking good, Kris!

I'm messing around with scenics. I've got a canal bridge from the previous incarnation of the layout that looks like it might have found a home on the new one if I snip an inch or so off the buffer ends of the goods and carriage sidings so I can have a road overbridge scenic break.

That leaves a nice space for a coal merchant between the canal and the sidings. Downloaded a (FREE!) scalescenes kit for staithes and the office.

Not much actual doing, but lots of sketching and thinking!

Bealman

I'm very, very pleased to have the arc welder kit designed by one of our late members, finally installed on my layout. I'd like to think that he would have been pleased to learn this.

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations