Dapol Maunsell coaches

Started by Dorsetmike, September 12, 2013, 08:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob G

Quote from: steam-driven boy on September 13, 2013, 12:31:01 PM

I'm never too concerned about timescales if the final product is worthwhile.
The Farish Bulleid coaches will fill a gap rather nicely in the meantime for me  :thumbsup:

Regards, Gerry  8)

Dont hold your breath there either.
Colin Albright told me at TINGS they were expected in the shops maybe next June...a bit later than i was expecting, given we had finished versions at TINGS.
Best
Bob

Gooner1953

Quote from: Dorsetmike on September 13, 2013, 06:51:31 PM
Chris, these Maunsells coming from Dapol are the 1925-29 ones with low corridor windows, Maunsells started to be withdrawn  from the mid 1950s, some were still in service up to at least 1964.

Nick, the Dapols will be low window, see my original post.

Sorry Chris for misleading you on Dapols intentions and thanks Mike for putting me right - I just assumed they would be the more common high window ! 

Well at least that does mean that it is worthwhile buying Alan's high window kits, I've ordered a 3 set today for a start, now looking at some ex LSWR stock for the Barnstaple/Torrington service. I have a great photo of LSWR Ironclad push pull stock behind an Ivatt 2MT tank at Barnstaple which I want to recreate with Alan's help and some Worsley Works kits.

Don't you just love the Southern and its predecessors....

Chris in Prague

Many thanks, DorsetMike. The Maunsell coaches certainly seemed to have survived well into the 1960s from the photos I've seen shot on the Withered Arm. In addition to SR green Bulleid and BR MkI coaches I wanted to ensure that I was buying  a few correct Maunsells for local services (although I've seen the odd Maunsell coach with Bulleids in ACE formations in the 1960s). It would be nice to know which year the last of the Maunsells were withdrawn from passenger service on the Withered Arm, 1964? So, I need some of Alan's high window Maunsell kits then instead. I also need an Ivatt 2MT tank. Please, post about your construction of the 3-set Gooner1953 as I'd really appreciate a tutorial before I buy some. Do you have a link to Alan's kits, please.

A Bulleid 2 Car restaurant set (rebuilt tavern + trailer) would be great to have for the ACE, too!

Chris in Prague

Thanks, Gooner1953, "If you don't have a copy of the book but want more details let me know and I'll get something together for you over the next day or so." I would like to take you up on that very kind offer re: Maunsell coaches used on the Withered Arm in the 1960s.

Gooner1953

Chris,

If you haven't already got it I can heartily recommend "An Illustrated History of the North Cornwall Railway: The Southern Railway Route Between Okehampton, Launceston, Wadebridge and Padstow" by David Wroe. I'm basing my layout on the North Devon arm and have have the sister volume. 400+ pages of history plus loads of useful stuff like working timetables, carriage working notices and engine workings for passenger and freight. Well worth having on the shelf.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Illustrated-History-North-Cornwall-Railway/dp/1903266890/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1UU804MQOGLRZ&coliid=IIRJ2FZP0ERXQ

Apologies if you've already got it!

Nick

Chris in Prague

Maunsell W6643S at Wadebridge? in 1964, SOURCE: IHNCR p144, is the latest listed by http://www.northcornwallrailway.co.uk/ . (IHNCR being "Illustrated History of the North Cornwall Railway" (1st Ed) - David Wroe. Yes, indeed, I really need to buy a copy of this book, Gooner1953.)

Gooner1953

Quote from: Chris in Prague on September 14, 2013, 06:05:33 AM
Maunsell W6643S at Wadebridge? in 1964, SOURCE: IHNCR p144, is the latest listed by http://www.northcornwallrailway.co.uk/ . (IHNCR being "Illustrated History of the North Cornwall Railway" (1st Ed) - David Wroe. Yes, indeed, I really need to buy a copy of this book, Gooner1953.)

I think it's an essential! I was floundering in the dark in North Devon until I bought the North Devon version!

Nick

Gooner1953

Quote from: Chris in Prague on September 14, 2013, 06:01:00 AM
Thanks, Gooner1953, "If you don't have a copy of the book but want more details let me know and I'll get something together for you over the next day or so." I would like to take you up on that very kind offer re: Maunsell coaches used on the Withered Arm in the 1960s.

Crossed posts there Chris! I'll do some research today/tomorrow and get something to you...

Cheers
Nick

Chris in Prague

Many thanks, Nick. I am looking forward to your info.

Southernboy

I'm really looking forward to these Maunsell's, even if they are a year or two off.

I heard they will be producing a batch in proper original Southern Railway green, as well as the later liveries.

So in the meantime I need to research coach-set formations :) 

CarriageShed

Quote from: Dorsetmike on September 13, 2013, 06:51:31 PM
If you want scale drawings then you need the Mike King book which includes Bulleid coaches as well but is out of print and fetching about £60 used!

If you're careful and hunt around then you can pick up a copy for less than that.  ;) I got mine this year for just under £20, and never was £20 better spent!

Karhedron

Quote from: Southernboy on September 14, 2013, 11:03:10 AM
So in the meantime I need to research coach-set formations :)
If you have not already seen it, you may find this page a good starting point for your research.

http://www.semgonline.com/coach/CoachSets.txt
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Chris in Prague

Quote from: Karhedron on December 22, 2013, 11:05:27 PM

If you have not already seen it, you may find this page a good starting point for your research.

http://www.semgonline.com/coach/CoachSets.txt

Yes, this is a very useful document.

As is: http://www.user.dccnet.com/d.leech/bulleidguide.pdf

I have an older edition of "Bulleid's S.R. Steam Passenger Stock" by David Gould, published by The Oakwood Press, which also gives set numbers.
A friend has Mike King's "An Illustrated History of Southern Coaches", published by OPC, and I have read that the "Model Railway Constructor" articles which began back in 1950 and the plans from from which were recreated in the late ‘60’s are well worth getting hold of. Does anyone have them?
Finally, I also use the Southern E-mail Group Website, an excellent source for all things Southern.

EtchedPixels

There were also a set of magazine articles on the Bulleid stock about 1967 including drawings. They are actually very useful for some work as they include very good underframe drawings which are not so well covered in King.

It's actually often the case - the best drawings for much of the LBSCR stock are from 1960s magazines, ditto SER four and six wheelers etc.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Chris in Prague

Quote from: EtchedPixels on December 23, 2013, 11:25:18 AM
There were also a set of magazine articles on the Bulleid stock about 1967 including drawings. They are actually very useful for some work as they include very good underframe drawings which are not so well covered in King.
Alan

Thanks, Alan. I wish you a Very Merry Christmas. I only wish there was a legal way to get hold of these drawings.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations