Chassis dimensions sought

Started by moogle, August 13, 2011, 01:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moogle

Hi everyone,

I have plans to build some 6 wheel coaches for my Irish branchline layout.
Some are Worsley works body kits/scratchaids and some will be scratchbuilt or perhaps use 3D printing.

What I need are the length, width and wheelbase of both the Dapol 6 wheel wagon chassis,
(like they use under their milk tanks) and the Stove R chassis that N Gauge Society members can get.
Some of the coaches are under 30 foot so I need to figure which is the more suitable.
The Stove R ones will be the easiest for me to get. I know I can 'bash' Peco chassis but I'm looking for an easier route!

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Moogle
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Sithlord75

My collection of Stove Rs is some 1200kms away (although still in the same State of Australia!) so I can't help you with those but having got some milk wagons in bits to fix and repair (eBay  ;)) I can tell you about those:

Length over headstocks - 42.39mm (using digital calipers!)
25.30mm maximum wheelbase with the middle one being, surprisingly  ;D in the middle.

Over buffers as supplied they are 49mm flat but obviously changing buffers is no big deal.

HTH.
Kevin Knight
"Do or do not - there is no try"

My blog thingo can be found here: http://www.sithlordsrailwayblog.blogspot.com

moogle

Thanks mate. I'll keep the Dapol one in mind as one or two of the coaches I have plans of are only 24  to 25 foot long!  :o
I'm sure someone else on here will have the Stove R sizes.
Right, off to read my NGS journal now with my lunch!  :)

My Irish layout here

Sithlord75

No probs - enjoy the read.  Mine is still coming but apparently there is a nice write up on an Australian loco... written by a smart bloke apparently  :angel:
Kevin Knight
"Do or do not - there is no try"

My blog thingo can be found here: http://www.sithlordsrailwayblog.blogspot.com

EtchedPixels

Quote from: moogle on August 13, 2011, 01:41:30 PM
Hi everyone,

The bigger question isn't the length but the wheelbase. For most of my six wheelers (especially with running boards so you can't see the detail to clearly) I've used sawn up Peco wagon chassis. Cheap, couplings and wheels included and with a spot of violence they can be made to work at most lengths. Glueing them back together is a bit tricky but if you simply evostick the slices to the coach floor all works well.

The only trick is don't saw a chassis in half. You want to do the trims near the wheels to get the bits to work out best.

If you drop me an email addr as a PM I'll send you a set of one of the coach kit instructions which includes some notes on sawing up and using Peco chassis this way

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

moogle

Quote from: EtchedPixels on August 13, 2011, 06:15:25 PM
Quote from: moogle on August 13, 2011, 01:41:30 PM
Hi everyone,

The bigger question isn't the length but the wheelbase. For most of my six wheelers (especially with running boards so you can't see the detail to clearly) I've used sawn up Peco wagon chassis. Cheap, couplings and wheels included and with a spot of violence they can be made to work at most lengths. Glueing them back together is a bit tricky but if you simply evostick the slices to the coach floor all works well.

The only trick is don't saw a chassis in half. You want to do the trims near the wheels to get the bits to work out best.

If you drop me an email addr as a PM I'll send you a set of one of the coach kit instructions which includes some notes on sawing up and using Peco chassis this way

Alan

Will do Alan.
Though obviously if the Stove R chassis is near to what I need for any I'll get some from the NGS shop.
The less work I have to do in making them the quicker I'll turn them out!

My Irish layout here

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations