cleaning loco wheel backs and contacts

Started by bluedepot, September 04, 2012, 07:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbdave

E Pinniger

An alternative to IPA is Sticky Stuff Remover/Goo Gone, which is a citrus oil-based solvent. It doesn't evaporate as quickly as IPA or meths, or give off fumes, and seems to be just as good at removing gunk and dirt from wheels, tracks and mechanisms. It's also useful for removing sticky label residue (its intended purpose!) from models, boxes etc.

RussellH

Hi Guys,

If I have it "all in bits" (my fav way) Wipe it all clean with solvent - anything that's a fully evaporating one - IPA etc. If there's anything the solvent wont take off then support the brass/copper contact strip to be cleaned and gently clean it with fine wet n dry just where the contact matters. Then wipe with solvent again. Once dry, pen out the areas that show with a black permanent marker.

As for cloth - anything that doesn't fall apart or cotton buds if the shape is appropriate.

Oil - synthetic only. mineral oils not good for plastics. Don't laugh too much but I find fully synthetic car oil works for me. Doesn't evaporate as quick as the dedicated oils & not as thick as the grease commonly found on new locos.

Hope this helps

Regards
Russ
Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
www.bridgeburygate.com

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

bluedepot

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations