cleaning loco wheel backs and contacts

Started by bluedepot, September 04, 2012, 07:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluedepot

hi everyone,

what methods do you use to clean the wheel backs and the contacts?

when cleaning the backs of loco wheels does it matter if some ipa gets onto the gears?  (the gears are on the axle rod)

i have taken the wheels off a class 46, and using a cotton bud soaked in ipa i have cleaned the wheels and their backs... some did get onto the gears though...

i also wiped the brass contacts with ipa too.

i just want to know if this is a good method to clean or if i will cause any damage.

do you need to put light grease on the gears very often?

any links to info on loco servicing would be appreciated as well.

cheers,

tim

dodger

You wont do any damage with that method of cleaning, but you wll need to lubricate the gears before use with a light oil.

bluedepot

i only have some peco power lube and some light oil that came with an electric shaver.... any good?

or do i need to buy some labelle or such like?

does anyone actually soak the wheels on their axle with gear attached in ipa for a few mins???

cheers for reply.

tim

EtchedPixels

Peco powerlube is fine, Daywat is what Farish used themselves historically - its a light sowing machine oil. I imagine the shaver oil is very similar stuff.

I generally clean the backs of mine with a bit of scrap card or if its really bad dump the entire bogie in soapy water for an hour (in a container so you don't get crucified by the wife for leaving oil marks in the sink, or lose any bits down the plughole), and then clean it up.

I've not found its oil thats the problem on the wheelbacks but the fact the pickups sometimes collect fluff so need the dust puppies removing.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

TimRyland

Tim

I was just about to ask the same question, having just picked up an old Farish 08 for a tenner at a local toy fair.

What's the ipa you're using, the only ipa I know is India Pale Ale.

Tim.

tim-pelican

Isopropyl Alcohol.  I'm using tape head cleaner at the moment, I'm not sure how you buy it now tape heads are obsolete...

Newportnobby

You can generally get IPA from chemists but may have to explain why you need it

scotsoft

I bought my one litre of IPA from Amazon and even got free delivery  :laugh3:

bluedepot

cheers for the replies!

using card dipped into ipa to clean the wheel backs would avoid getting ipa onto the gears as happens with the cotton bud so i will use this method next time.

i will try a drop of the shaver oil onto the gears and see if that does anything....

best wishes

tim

4x2

A good little tip... Dig out that bottle of horrible stinky aftershave that you got for Christmas last year, it has a very high alcohol content and makes a great electrical cleaner !

My dear old nan used to buy me 'Old Spice' every year, now i have enough to last me an eternity !  :smiley-laughing:

Whilst I'm here, I've been trying out various wheel cleaners - the Minitrix/Trix brass wire brush thing is pretty hard to beat.  :thumbsup:
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Donkey

Quote from: scotsoft on September 05, 2012, 01:02:15 PM
I bought my one litre of IPA from Amazon and even got free delivery  :laugh3:
Surely a Scottish Geordie can manage more than a litre of India Pale Ale  >:D :laugh:. Seriously, after reading about how highly people rate this stuff for cleaning, I think I am going to have to invest in a bottle. Thanks for the info folks  :thumbsup:

Marty

Donkey

Just ordered 1L from Amazon - free postage  :) Now, I guess a piece of cardboard will be best for applying to point blades, but what about rest of track and loco/stock wheels?

Marty

bluedepot

i read about ipa on here about a year ago so bought some and used it ever since.

i've just been using cotton buds on loco wheels and pick ups.  on the track i think a cotton cloth.  you could maybe use cardboard soaked in ipa on the track as well though.

cheers,

tim

Sprintex

Tim is right about the track, any lint-free cloth otherwise you will be picking bits of cloth out of track joins till kingdom come!!  :D

As for loco and stock wheels - all you ever wanted to know about cleaning them, but were afraid to ask  ;)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=913.0

Paul

Donkey

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations