Coaches - Time to classify different versions??

Started by StufromEGDL, August 26, 2012, 09:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam1701D

The first coaches from China (Transpennine 158, GNER Blue doors and Midland Mainline Teal Mk3s) are a pig to strip and disintegrate when using Brasso. Subsequent batches have proved far better.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

BernardTPM

The smooth-sided shell originated with the TPO Farish did in the late '90s. In fact the first ones they displayed at the Toy Fair were printed onto SK shells so there were hinges and lines which looked wrong with the mismatched TPO pattern printed over them.
One of the problems for the average punter would be to distinguish between a Poole and China printed clear shell, especially if the model was unboxed or had wheels swapped. The Poole printing generally was glossy and some colours covered very poorly (the maroon was particularly poor, almost see-through in places, whereas the Chinese printing was semi-matt and more dense.

tadpole

Quote from: captainelectra on August 27, 2012, 05:55:13 PM
The first coaches from China (Transpennine 158, GNER Blue doors and Midland Mainline Teal Mk3s) are a pig to strip and disintegrate when using Brasso. Subsequent batches have proved far better.

Adam, any ideas on which are the easiest mk3s to strip? I need five to build my class 442.

So far I've accumulated one with inlays, and the second on its way is MML teal, not sure if it's first generation (and therefore a pig) or not.

Two rails good. Three better.

Adam1701D

Don't use Brasso on the MML Teal / Orange Mk3 - it'll shatter. Try something more gentle such as IsoPropyl Alcohol or Surgical Spirit. Nail varnish remover is good but does risk clouding the shell.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations