Coaches - Time to classify different versions??

Started by StufromEGDL, August 26, 2012, 09:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StufromEGDL

Hi Guys;

Now I'm quite happy with how Farish coaches have progressed in quality over the years...but I am finding it increasingly difficult to clarify what people are actually selling as , sometimes, the descriptions and pics are poor.  It's easier if catalogue numbers are included...but as a broad guide is it time to introduve a descriptive system....eg let's say Mark 1s;

Type 1 - Farish Poole, separate window strips.
Type 2 - Farish Poole, flush sided, all over print.
Type 3 - Bachmann China, flush sided, all over print.
Type 4 - Bachmann China, Separate glazed windows,(Blue Riband)

This would alleviate the recent confusion over Network Rail coaches with the BG being Type 4, and the others being Type 3.

This could also be carried over to Mk2s...eg Type 3 is the most current. New Mk2a coaches would be Type 4. Mk 3 coaches will also currently be Type 3.
Pullmans (Met-Camms) would be Type 4.

Maybe I'm making it unnecessarily complicated...

Later;
STU in KOQU
C130J HurrEvac Crew
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

Caz

Sounds a good idea to me, you're never quite sure what you're buying if you use Ebay or our Classifieds and some sort of classification would be great.  :beers:
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

guest311

IMHO you are not making it unneccessarily complicated.

nothing worse than buying something to find that it not what you thought. I've had that with class 37s which when they arrived turned out to be Poole models with the pizza cutter wheels.

I think your idea is a great one and should be adopted.

Tank

I couldn't agree more with you.  Perhaps we can insist on doing that on here.

BernardTPM

For Mk.1s you could add in the original version where the glazing insert had moulded frames (in boxes with gold, rather than yellow lettering). A few of these even had non-sprung couplings.
I would suggest:
Type 1a - glazing strip, raised frames
Type 1b - glazing strip, printed
Type 2a - one-piece clear shell, Poole printing
Type 2b - one-piece clear shell, China printing
Type 3 - separate windows (Blue Riband)

EtchedPixels

There are multiple types of the flush printed ones, including flush and none flush shells, different bogie versions, different coupling spacings 8)

It's a minor minefield!
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

H

Obviously the issue mainly concerns purchasing secondhand coaches but not where the product can be inspected as it can in shops or on traders stalls. Therefore, I guess it's mainly about ebay purchases where the photo is dodgy or not clear. Surely that is where the 'ask a question' facility comes in and I'd suggest that is used. Where the seller doesn't know or can't identify themselves then, if the type is important, it's probably best to avoid and not bid.

Other than that I'm not sure any agreed 'type' listing to categorise would necessarily be used by the seller or would even be accurate and could be relied on. After all, Bachmann has misled with claiming some of those yellow coaches to be 'blue riband' quality.

H.

Adam1701D

I like this classification system - it would simplify advising on the best method to strip down the clear shells for fitting brass or vinyl sides.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

EtchedPixels

Quote from: captainelectra on August 27, 2012, 10:25:35 AM
I like this classification system - it would simplify advising on the best method to strip down the clear shells for fitting brass or vinyl sides.

Except that there are at least two different types of print inks on the Chinese ones !
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

REGP

I like the idea of a simply Classification system as it would make some purchases more atraight forward, but would we need a similar one for Dapol coaches?

Ray

EtchedPixels

Quote from: REGP on August 27, 2012, 11:58:10 AM
I like the idea of a simply Classification system as it would make some purchases more atraight forward, but would we need a similar one for Dapol coaches?

Ray

The Gresley coaches come in two types at least: Lightbar reading, bogies 1mm out of position, pre lightbar bogies 2mm out of position. The B sets also seem to have been released with two different bogie versions.

BernardTPM

There are many different minor changes between batches, but fundamentally Farish Mk.1s are either separate window insert, clear shell (the bogies, floor, interiors and roof basically the same) and total retool with separate window patterns.
If you go into the minor details, even things like the B4 bogies have gone through several versions, not all of them correct! Then you have the later Bachmann era additions where some got interiors and some didn't. As I mentioned before, very early on the couplings were the 1970s half-depth type - probably only the very first batch.

H

Sure, a classification table system would be good for us as potential purchasers, but the big issue would be to ensure that all sellers were aware and used it consistantly and accurately. Somehow I can't see that happening.

H.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: BernardTPM on August 27, 2012, 12:52:51 PM
There are many different minor changes between batches, but fundamentally Farish Mk.1s are either separate window insert, clear shell (the bogies, floor, interiors and roof basically the same) and total retool with separate window patterns.

The "clear" shells are two very different types - the smooth ones ideal for vinyl work, the ones with limited relief (annoying for vinyl work). Also the print difference really matters. The second generation China ones with the revised print go cloudy white if you brasso them - which is a bit nasty if you didn't check a corner first ! The print also comes off the first gen China ones far more easily (which from Bachmann I gather is why it was changed - some came off *too* easily.

The bogies vary greatly. It seems the coupling length is adjustable in the tool and each batch someone in China rolls a dice and sets it that distance.  :laugh:

Alan

tadpole

Good idea and good discussion.  :thumbsup:

Please get the details sorted while I'm away.
Two rails good. Three better.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations