Farish 08

Started by port perran, July 28, 2012, 07:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

This may have been covered before but has anyone any experience of the new Farish 08s .
Are they good runners or do they suffer with the old problem of Farish 0-6-0 types when travelling over complex pointwork etc?
And what are they like at slow running?
Kernow MRC have just received   a supply  and am considering buying one.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

cwh

Hello - I have just purchased a new 08 and so far it runs very well at slow speed and  runs OK over point work but whether mine is sufficiently complex to really judge I'm not sure - having said that it did have a problem occasionally negotiating my double slip  - hope this helps

OwL

I have four of the farish 08's. I have BR blue, EWS, and x2 railfreight versions ( one will be a re-paint)
In comparison to the farish Poole/early china models they are totally a different beast. Looks aside (and these are excellent) all of my models run faultlessly. They are strong pullers as well and I'm glad farish updated this model.
Do not hesitate to buy one.

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

port perran

Bit the bullet and just bought one (the weathered version).
Initial reaction (and I haven't run it in yet) is that it is smooth and quiet and performs pretty well at slow creeping speeds.
I'm off to the allotment now but will run it in later and see how it performs after that.

port perran

So....overall pleased with the detailing and the weathering.
Having run the loco in, it performs well in both directions with only the slightest hesitation over fairly complex pointwork.
Runs well with 9 waggons plus brake. Scale speed is quite good. Pretty quiet.
The connecting rods make the engine very marginally wider than the rest of my locos. Had to trim some bankside vegetation to stop fouling in one location.
Overall pleased with my purchase.

MattJ

Has been on my "To Get" list for a while, good to know it's worth it!  Many years ago I had a Hornby OO one with the auto-uncoupling action.  Even as a kid I wasn't happy with the lack of an external wheel frame.  DCC wiring not too difficult I hope, fixing my 3MT was a bit of practice for this!
They're there for their tea.

AndyGif

I've got 3 of the little blighters all in BR Blue, I have a thing for the humble 08. 
2 have the same running number, but that's ok as someone did a cracking job of weathering it before selling on ebay.
Never had a problem with them and they do pull very well,  as do the 03 and 04.
When GF crank out another blue one, I'll buy that as well. Wonder if they'll churn one out as on 09....

Nearly forgot, waiting on the RTC liveried one from modelzone that cant be long off, now that the black and green ones are with us?

If the wife's not looking I might buy the O gauge one that dapol is going to crank out.....Though anything N is so much easier to sneak into the house isn't it ;D

Ollie3440

I've got 3 of the new 08's in total. EWS, Blue and a new Black one. All run brilliantly and when a pristine green with wasp stripes comes out i'll happily snap a couple up :D

Ollie
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

Newportnobby

My weathered version (exactly as P-P's) waddled a bit at first but with running in improved no end.
I couldn't take a better pic than Port Perran either

tim-pelican

Quote from: MattJ on July 28, 2012, 05:39:04 PM
DCC wiring not too difficult I hope, fixing my 3MT was a bit of practice for this!

That was my burning question - anyone done this yet?

Donkey

Great picture of a cracking looking loco port perran  :thumbsup:

upnick

I've had one of the  blue   new  08's   converted to DCC  with the TCS    Z2  decoder runs  excellently though if you  wish a  DCC   Concepts decoder  with a stay alive if  it would fit in  would ensure  constant running  in any situation should  any  contact  be lost.

tim-pelican

Who did you get to do the conversion, upnick?

upnick

Quote from: tim-pelican on July 28, 2012, 11:04:34 PM
Who did you get to do the conversion, upnick?

Hi  Tim,   

Jeremy at Digitrains did the conversion they supplied the loco  as well  ;)

tim-pelican

Cool, thanks... putting my shopping list together in the hope that my bonus comes through in August :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations