BHE DMU Kits

Started by kaiwhara, July 05, 2012, 08:38:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaiwhara

Being a Kiwi, who is 25 and probably never saw said DMU's when I was living over there (partly as I was less that 4' tall, and lived in Winchester), I am sure I can cope with the Electricals not quite being in the right place!!
:Class414:  :NGaugersRule: :Class37:

My Model Planning Thread:

(Click on Picture to view thread)

View my photos at my Flickr Account

BlythStationLad

BHEs kits started off as MTK (Modern Traction Kits) in the 1970s, in Slough. Better known for their (sometimes awful) 4mm scale range of coaches and locos, their 2mm scale range was much better. This range originally included just about a full collection of Mk. I, Mk. IIa and Mk. IID coaches, as well as those now in the BHE range, and a comprehensive range of DMUs (and a few EMUs, if my memory is correct). There was even a Gresley BG, with correct bogies.

For their time they were very good, if you were reasonably proficient at kit building. At least they offered a scale, realistic, product with virtually flush sides. The few offerings available in Mk. I stock from Lima/Wrenn and Minitrix were very poor (ridiculously thick sides, disproportionate sizes, very limited choice of body shell, etc).

There was no alternative to MTK if you wanted DMUs, EMUs or a Mk. I bodyshell other than a CK, RB or BSK, so we should be grateful that BHE took some of the MTK range on when MTK went under.

They will still make into a decent model today with a bit of care, albeit not to the latest standard set by Bachmann for an 'off the shelf' product.

PaulCheffus

Quote from: BlythStationLad on July 08, 2012, 09:10:01 PM
There was no alternative to MTK if you wanted DMUs, EMUs or a Mk. I bodyshell other than a CK, RB or BSK, so we should be grateful that BHE took some of the MTK range on when MTK went under.

Hi

Small point, they went to Fleetline before BHE so maybe we should be grateful for that as well  :smiley-laughing:

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

EtchedPixels

Quote from: BlythStationLad on July 08, 2012, 09:10:01 PM

There was no alternative to MTK if you wanted DMUs, EMUs or a Mk. I bodyshell other than a CK, RB or BSK,

There was - ABS/Beaver which were flush sided screen printed sides on clear shells and including coaches you *still* can't get RTR today such as the 63' suburbans.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations