New batch of DCC "friendly" Dapol Ivatt 2-MT 2-6-2T announced

Started by Bob G, November 27, 2022, 12:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob G

Very quietly, at Warley, Dapol slipped this little treat under the radar. It is not even on the Dapol website yet.

https://railsofsheffield.com/search?q=Dapol%20Ivatt

I've given the Rails link as they were the first I think to publicise this outside of Warley, and they show the various liveries. but the EP snip comes from the Hattons site.

Some real positives in this batch, to be honest.

1. Die-cast chassis, so there should be some weight behind the little tank loco

2. Keyed axles (similar to the Dapol N Gauge A4/A3) to prevent quartering slippage, which some found was a real problem on the earlier batches.

3. The model is DCC 'friendly'. A PCB is located in the bunker and pickup and motor connections are terminated on this. DCC users have to replace this PCB with a wired 'micro' decoder by making 4 solder connections. DC only users do not need to make any changes. This is the same as the M7 and is better than nothing for DCC users. DC dinosaurs just carry on regardless.

4. A 3 pole can motor to provide smooth slow speed running and a realistic top speed. This is a great result if Dapol can do it, as all the Dapol tanks of this era were a little lively to say the least.

As these models are to be released a year after the M7, perhaps at next TINGS or Warley they will announce a new chassis for the 45xx/4575 small prairie?

Bob

Capri_sam

I've always had a soft spot both for the real thing and the Dapol model - they just look 'right' and have loads of character.

My hard-wired ones do run well and much more smoothly on DCC, but I'll definitely treat myself to a DCC-fitted couple - partly because I can use them, and partly to encourage Dapol to keep on with their modernisation programme.

davidinyork

Surprised they haven't found a way to make it DCC ready - can't think of many other current-production models which aren't, although I'm less familiar with steam engine models than with diesel. Farish have managed it with the Class 08 and even the Class 03.

Capri_sam

stevewalker

While it is available DCC fitted and the DC version is "DCC Friendly", it seems a pity that they did not manage to get a socket and blanking plug in there, making it DCC Ready, for a simple plug-in conversion in either direction and making replacing a failed decoder easier or testing/running-in on DC non-reliant on an installed DCC chip.

LASteve

I have the Farish 2MT which came "DCC Ready" and to be honest it was a pain to get a decoder small enough to fit, and even more of a pain to actually fit it. You have to remove the pony trucks to get the body off, and the decoder socket itself is almost impossible to get at. Perhaps Dapol realized they were going to have the same issues and decided to save us DCC folks the pain.

Adam1701D

We are awaiting the second Engineering Prototype for the new chassis, which should be with us soon and the artwork is progressing well.

The Keighley and Worth Valley railway have very kindly given us permission to produce 41241 in fully lined maroon, which should be a lovely model.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Bob G

Hi Adam
There doesn't seem to be a push-pull fitted loco in this batch.
Are the earlier bodies suitable for a swap onto the new chassis, as that is something that I'd certainly consider.
Bob

Adam1701D

There will be some changes to the announced line-up to include some push-pull machines - we did not realise there was this option on the tooling at first.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Bob G

That's a tick then. 41210 would be a nice one to do ;)
Had a life on the midland region followed by the southern.
Bob

Newportnobby

41222 would be great as that frequently hauled the original 'Newport Nobby', and before anyone suggests I renumber one, I'm not physically capable of doing so :P

Roy L S

Quote from: captainelectra on December 01, 2022, 10:03:10 PM
There will be some changes to the announced line-up to include some push-pull machines - we did not realise there was this option on the tooling at first.

Yep, the only remaining Dapol Ivatt I still have is a push pull one, kept for posterity, that early chassis isn't the best. Conversely, the new chassis looks a whole lot better and somewhat more robust. Reusing the existing loco body makes sense as it is a really nice representation - why fix something that isn't broken?

If the locos offered is to be revised to include push-pull versions I'll hold off placing my order.

An LMS Push Pull set to go with them would be rather nice  :D.

Roy

jc_92

Quote from: captainelectra on December 01, 2022, 10:03:10 PM

looking today on rails website, there is 41227 available to preorder. it doesn't specify that it comes with PP gear fitted, although that specific loco should do. the others on offer on other didn't have it.

as Roy says, an LMS pull push set wouldn't go amiss, a big gap in the market for umpteen midland region BLTs!!

martyn

@jc_92

Home made version from Farish Poole LMS non-corridors.

It has regular turns on James St, hauled by a P+P fitted Jinty.

Etched Pixels used to do a cast end, but not now available.

But it looks the part. My first version about 20 years ago also had Ultima replacement etched underframe and cast details.

Martyn

jc_92

Love it!

My plan was to do the same with a pair of Farish subs and the etched pixels kit with a repaint and some detailing, but as you say, its no longer available which is a shame.  :(

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations