Rivet counting.

Started by Marcus Amison, July 27, 2015, 12:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Webbo

Quote from: grumbeast on July 28, 2015, 09:25:44 AM
Quote from: Webbo on July 28, 2015, 01:55:59 AM

As for era and railway modelled, I'm pretty eclectic. I've got North American rolling stock and locos that span 50 years, from 4 different railways (Canadian Pacific, British Columbia Railway, Union Pacific, and Santa Fe) as well as a modest amount of British outline from the 60s (4 locos + wagons +carriages). Don't run all the different eras and railways together though. I'm afraid that one day in a red wine haze I'll order a black and red German steam locomotive which will open up more spending opportunities which is the last thing I need.

Webbo

Oh. That black and red german steam, you know you want to, it doesn't take much wine!  Come join us in the dark world of running whatever the blazes you like .... We have cookies!

G

I know I do. I've just  been delivered a case of red so it might not be very long. I'm already in the dark world so it's really only a question of which level I'm on.

Webbo

cornish yorkie

:hellosign:While i really appreciate the Super detailed layouts I personally am rule ONE every time. Everyone to their own and most importantly enjoy. :NGaugersRule:
regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Agrippa

In the end, taking everything into consideration, looking
at it from both ends, weighing things up, does any one
give a monkeys ?

Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

railsquid

Only if they're the correct monkeys for the locale. For a UK prototype, the only way you could justify any monkeys is when modelling a zoo, or possibly a troupe which has escaped from a circus.

DELETED

Quote from: Agrippa on July 28, 2015, 11:46:58 PM
In the end, taking everything into consideration, looking
at it from both ends, weighing things up, does any one
give a monkeys ?

http://youtu.be/AXqvLZurm3o

...who cares at the end of the day as long as it's taken in properly in context.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: railsquid on July 29, 2015, 12:00:41 AMpossibly a troupe which has escaped
Might be best if we kept the occasional errant toupé out of this :) ?

Komata

Peng

Re: 'IMHO, anyone who models in 1:148 cannot be a rivet counter as the rolling stock is not prototypical'

OK, I'll bite. I actually DO model in 1:148, and I am a FREELANCE  N-scale modeller who uses 1:148 as the ruling scale.  As the membership knows, I run UK, US/Continental European, Japanese and Australian N-scale stock to create what is officially known as NZN-Freelance.

On the basis if the above, would you care to justify your comment, specifically the bit about 1:148 'NOT BEING PROTOTYPICAL', since in my case it very definitely is, and is the 'unifying factor' which keeps everything together.  :) :)

Thanks.   

"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Komata on July 29, 2015, 02:06:20 AM
what is officially known as NZN-Freelance.
Sounds interesting
dont cry in the wilderness
, linkys pse :) :) :)

Komata

MalcolmAL

Don't worry, I 'aint :) Just asking, 'cos the statement was so very broad. :) :)

Thanks for the response BTW

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Komata on July 29, 2015, 02:20:23 AM
MalcolmAL

Don't worry, I 'aint :) Just asking, 'cos the statement was so very broad. :) :)

Thanks for the response BTW
Oh ! So I have to go
(walt)its off to work we go he ho heh ho(/disney)

oh look, a google (" NZN-Freelance ") later :
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18209.0
well well ! :)
"Note: This will be necessarily a long post)"
yup !
interesting tho'
thanks for the stirrr

Komata

MalcolmAL

So now you know...!!  Glad you enjoyed the read, and I'm sure you can see why, in response to Pingi's statement, one has to ask... :)

Stirrer? Me?  never...

Yet_Another

I think there is a number of unspoken, but generally accepted, assumptions in Pengi's post. If you read it as 'Anyone modelling UK Standard gauge at 1:148 and using 9mm track is unprototypical' then it is true.

However, anyone doing freelance modelling, not based on a prototype, cannot be prototypical, even if the scale is entirely accurate. QED.  :D

This makes about 100% of all layouts unprototypical, as even those layouts based on an actual location are usually compromised with selective compression, if not omissions.  :smiley-laughing:

Now, back to the planning...
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

lionwing

Here is my two pence...

The item mentioned in the opening post was purchased as a gift.  Perhaps from someone who knew the individual and cared enough to put some thought into treating this person to a relatively expensive item...we aren't talking a box of choc here from Thorntons are we?

So imagine the conversation when the topic of selling it comes up with the reasons outlined...wow...I bet that made for a frosty atmosphere!

"Rivet counting" or "Rule One"...nobody is harmed and both approaches surely generate a joy and fondness for the hobby?
Richard - Stop before the buffers!

Agrippa

Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Pengi

This is a topic that always generates great debate and I think we are in danger of going round in circles

It all depends what you want your model railway to be and what compromises are acceptable in the search for accuracy and that, of course, will vary from person to person.

Therefore this topic is now locked  :locked:
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations