How bad, really, are Dapol and Farish

Started by austinbob, June 14, 2014, 08:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scruff

Well, I had a quiet afternoon so I thought I would test my fleet and make sure that all was well with their motors and lights.

The fleet comprises
6 DMU Dapol 2 Farish 4
3 HST all Dapol
2 DVT Dapol
38 loco's 18 Farish 20 Dapol.

I sat and tested all of them because they have been stored for the last 18 months due to a house move. Most have hardly been used and all are in mint condition.

These are the results:
No light failures at all..
Running failures=2
I had a quick look at the failures and found that both the class 47 and 60 by Farish have split gears.
So that is a failure rate of 9% for Farish and 0% for Dapol.

So you could say I'm not very impressed with Farish especially after all the Dapol "knockers" here have said.

Cheers
Mark

Dr Al

Quote from: scruff on October 19, 2014, 05:30:39 PM
I had a quick look at the failures and found that both the class 47 and 60 by Farish have split gears.

This seems to be getting common particularly on the new tool class 47s - pulled one of mine out last week and heard the characteristic clunking of a gear on the way out.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

DesertHound

Are they "failure" locos UK or Chinese Farish Scruff?
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

EtchedPixels

Quote from: mark100 on October 16, 2014, 12:46:21 PM
If it is to pre-warn the rival company that you are releasing a specific item then its stupid, it would be better if Dapol and Farish did release the same loco classes as long as they looked identical

The market isn't big enough for that in the UK. If it kept happening I imagine one or both would simply go under.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Karhedron

Quote from: Dr Al on October 19, 2014, 05:44:21 PM
This seems to be getting common particularly on the new tool class 47s - pulled one of mine out last week and heard the characteristic clunking of a gear on the way out.
I wonder if there is enough demand for and after-market manufacturer to offer replacement brass gears? Are Farish's modern diesels sufficient similar under the hood for this t work or would new gears have to be tooled for each class?
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Dr Al

Quote from: Karhedron on October 20, 2014, 08:56:45 AM
I wonder if there is enough demand for and after-market manufacturer to offer replacement brass gears? Are Farish's modern diesels sufficient similar under the hood for this t work or would new gears have to be tooled for each class?

All the gears on the axles that I've seen split (37,47s) are the same as the original Farish - 16 tooth, so have been replaceable with generic spares. Note, that the wheelsets aren't the same so can't be replaced with the generic spares (these spares being too small diameter).

Given that the number of splits on new tool stock seems small (so far), I don't know that there'd be a great market yet for them.

It is concerning that some splits are occurring on steam tender drives too - had a B1 with one gone (fortunately it was on the 'spare' wheelset in the bits bag....).

Cheers,
Alan

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

scruff

The loco's that failed are both china built.

Class 60 60078 mainline blue 371-351 centre axle on one bogie (about 2 hours running done)
and
Class 47 47474 parcels red 372-242 coupling end axle on one bogie (loco only ever test run)

Anyone know where I can purchase replacement wheelsets? I found BRlines and Peters spares don't have the correct wheelsets as far as I can tell.

cheers
Mark

Dr Al

Quote from: scruff on October 20, 2014, 10:04:34 AM
Anyone know where I can purchase replacement wheelsets? I found BRlines and Peters spares don't have the correct wheelsets as far as I can tell.

If they are still under warranty Bachmann should supply these FOC.

Otherwise Bachmann spares dept is first call, or beyond that BR Lines. You can't use the generic spare Farish wheelsets as the locos now all have specific diameter wheelsets appropriate to their given prototype. You can still replace the gears on the original wheels as they are the standard 16 tooth type.

HTH,
Alan

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations