Rolling Stock - RTR and/or Kits

Started by Richard G Dallimore, January 03, 2013, 07:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard G Dallimore

Last night at club we were discussing whether people were doing modelling any more and preferred RTR Rolling Stock. I'll re-ask this question for buildings in a moment.

I'll be honest and say that I am asking this to gauge where to spend my time and money in the future. I do feel that the majority are not necessarily interested in kits and prefer RTR / RTP.

I do not want this to descend it to a debate or wish list, please keep it general.

:NGaugersRule:
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Now N'Tastic Scale Models & Copper Mine Miniatures
https://www.coppermineminiatures.co.uk/n-tastic-scale-models
https://www.facebook.com/NTasticScaleModels

Newportnobby

I think it very depends on what era is being modelled, Richard :hmmm:
There is a plethora of MK1 onwards but for anyone modelling earlier years that just isn't so.
However, it depends on whether you want a decent sales volume, I guess ???
I'm sure if you came out with some GWR clerestories............... ;)

Dr Al

I think it's clear from the lack of posts in the OMWB thread here, as compared the RTR reviews etc that the majority do not kitbuild.

Which is a shame.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

bbdave

I have just ordered my first 6 kits from the NGS shop i have decided to try some in my opinion it will be good to see some stock i have built running i'm not sure what other manufacturers there are but i'm sure i'll do more.

RTRs are easy to buy if you have the cash but maybe more kits of non RTR models should be made i'm sure there's a hardcore of modelers who prefer to build stock.

Dave

Oldman

Have to say I enjoy building kits most but if the RTR is going to be cheaper (and easier to source) then I will go that route.
However the greater availability of 3D printed stuff confuses the issue somewhat.
You know what I have purchased from you and the stuff I would purchase is all in a similar vein.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Richard G Dallimore

Quote from: Dr Al on January 03, 2013, 07:23:10 PM
I think it's clear from the lack of posts in the OMWB thread here, as compared the RTR reviews etc that the majority do not kitbuild.

Which is a shame.

Cheers,
Alan

This is partly what prompted me to ask these questions, a lot of RTR reviews and none or very few on kits.
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Now N'Tastic Scale Models & Copper Mine Miniatures
https://www.coppermineminiatures.co.uk/n-tastic-scale-models
https://www.facebook.com/NTasticScaleModels

Tank

Quote from: Dr Al on January 03, 2013, 07:23:10 PM

Which is a shame.

Cheers,
Alan

Or perhaps they just don't post their efforts on here?  We often hear that you are making your own stock, but we never see pictures... so maybe other do the same.  ??? 

bbdave

Rest assured i'll be posting my efforts

Dave

davieb

I have some Kit-built Rolling Stock in the pipeline

Pics to follow when finished  :camera:

dave  :thumbsup:

Rabs

Personally I'm very keen to kit and scratch build (wanting to do earlier GWR than is available RTR).  This had drawn me towards 2mm finescale.  I suspect that many of the people who are so inclined have gravitated that way in the past, leaving the N community with a deficiency in scratch and kit building skills and hence a general lack of interest in it.

However, with developments like 3D printing and Wayne Kinney's fiNescale track (search on the forum if you haven't already), it seems like times may be changing.  I certainly intend to do my scratchbuilding in N and not 2mm now, as the gap in the quality of what can be achieved has got much smaller and it means I won't have to modify all my N locos.

Sprintex

RTR only here.

Could be cat-among-the-pigeons time here, and I don't mean the 3D printed ones either :D

I personally have yet to see a kit-built piece of stock, especially a loco or coach, that comes up to the standard of off-the-shelf items. To many I can understand that the satisfaction of having something more unusual running on their layout would offset this, but to me it would always be 'inferior' and the slightest imperfection in fit or finish would be glaring at me, taunting me even. I don't have the patience to try to get a kit up to this high standard, so no point in trying ;)

Upshot is if it isn't available RTR, then I'll wait until it is or find a workaround :)

Paul

Fratton

I was a RTR man but since my dabble with Electra sides then a TPM conversion kit I'm starting to think about taking on some kits, I am due to restart my NGS membership soon and I will be at very least attempting a pair of sharks,,,,

And I shall probably make a OMWB thread at that point currently I just make those updates on my main layout thread,,,,,,
Charlie.

guest311

converted a few carriages and locos with Electra transfers, then vinyls, but must admit that when it came to major repaints, or millions of bits of plastic strip for custom builds, I chickened out and employed OLD Warren TMD  :smiley-laughing:

Karhedron

The majority of my stock is RTR but I am slowly adding some kits to cover more unusual stock. Like many modellers I find the lack of pre-nationalisation coaches a drawback so some kit-building is necessary. I find some of the simpler conversions such as the TPM etched sides to be very good quality and a good introduction to kit building.

I can understand the difficulty of trying to match the finish of RTR stock. My models are not good enough to be mistaken for RTR yet but each one is a little better and they are good enough for me to feel satisfied running. When part of a moving train at normal viewing distance, they look pretty decent.

Which reminds me, I have had some parts for a Collett H38 restaurant composite on my workbench since before Christmas. Time I did something with them!  :NGaugersRule:
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Dr Al

Quote from: Tank on January 03, 2013, 08:22:24 PM
Or perhaps they just don't post their efforts on here?  We often hear that you are making your own stock, but we never see pictures... so maybe other do the same.  ???

Guilty!

To be honest the reason is simple - I posted before a lot on RMWeb for a while, and didn't really get much interested response. So it ended up seeming more effort that it was worth, and I've never therefore felt much motivation to since.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations