Triang catalogues.... 1962-1967

Started by Bealman, March 28, 2020, 06:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Yes, they made those too, if I recall, yes?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

daffy

Hopefully not a hijack but just a link of interest.
I remember making Frog plastic kits. Is this the company you're thinking of @Paddy . There is a dedicated site and forum for them

https://www.frogmodelaircraft.co.uk/

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bealman

Yeah, that's them. In fact I think I may even had a couple of their models, but we're getting deep into the misty cavities of my memory cell now!

Newportnobby

Quote from: daffy on April 02, 2020, 07:55:03 AM
As for the 'rubber' items, they are so ... er .... lifelike.  Not sure just what form of life though. 

Didn't Madonna use a couple of those 'muffins' in one of her stage costumes?

Quote from: Bealman on April 02, 2020, 10:56:11 AM
we're getting deep into the misty cavities of my memory cell now!

Uh-oh. Let's not go there please! :worried: :stop:

Really enjoying this trip down tri-ang Memory Lane, George :thumbsup:

Bealman

Returning to the 1963 catalogue, a new train set was introduced to the range:

A rather nice B12 local passenger set. I have included this as being of note, because when we moved to the new council house, I became friends with a boy a couple of doors away, and got him interested in model railways. More of the B12 set and him later, but he remains a good friend to this day. He and his wife who is also from Durham live in Wellington, New Zealand, and we see each other every few years or so, the last time being at my daughter's wedding in Sydney in 2017.

The "big" sets from 1962 were still there - interestingly, I've ticked the Britannia locomotive, even though I didn't have it any more!

However, this was the year the Grand Victorian suspension bridge was introduced, and while it greatly impressed the young Bealman, he figured that by the time you had the gradients on either side to get up to it and off it, that would be your entire bloody layout!

As I said earlier, 1963 was the year some big concepts were starting to happen.

How about a train set with not one, but TWO trains, with enough track to make a layout with a passing loop, and a SIDING that you could actually SHUNT?!! Awesome!

And then, of course, the Minic Motorway system started to make inroads ( :doh:) into the railway system. However, as the picture shows, a ton of fun was to be had. I will leave it up to you as to whether sixties sexism is on display here.... notice the son's smug look on his face as he dodges the train and accelerates away, while father is chuckling away as he wipes mother out.....

nharding99

I'm enjoying the catalogue pages and also enjoying the fact that the young Bealman is referred to in the 3rd person  :)

daffy

i know nothing about sexism (wasn't taught at my all-boys Grammar school)  ;), but I'm wondering why Mum, Dad and sonny Jim are depicted as being, apparently, radioactive! :o
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

ntpntpntp

Quote from: daffy on April 02, 2020, 11:35:18 AM
i know nothing about sexism (wasn't taught at my all-boys Grammar school)  ;), but I'm wondering why Mum, Dad and sonny Jim are depicted as being, apparently, radioactive! :o
... and that leads to Dad having 6 fingers as famously depicted on one of the Hornby Dublo adverts  :D

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

crewearpley40

I've found more info. The art of hornby

crewearpley40

crewearpley40

Paddy

Well we all know that families who could afford Hornby Dublo had a wee bit extra - just didn't realise it meant fingers!  ;)

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Bealman

Ha ha, I haven't seen that one before!

Actually there's a township not far from Chez Bealman where they reckon people are like that, but for a different reason completely, so we'll steer clear of that one  :uneasy:

Newportnobby

Quote from: daffy on April 02, 2020, 11:35:18 AM
I'm wondering why Mum, Dad and sonny Jim are depicted as being, apparently, radioactive! :o

Nah - they've just has their Ready Brek :)

As for the Dad with an added digit - gimme six!

ntpntpntp

I bought these two TT sets from an antique shop whilst on honeymoon in 1987.  The passenger set is mint, the goods set  didn't have the original tank loco (I need to find a better condition example) but everything else is unused.   They came with a 1962 catalogue, a station set, and a bunch of other boxed coaches and wagons for the princely sum of £55.

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations