The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Probably a case of the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing, or more likely doesn't care when advertising revenue is concerned. Whoever invented the 'Mute' button on TV remotes deserves a medal to my mind when it comes to TV ads. I find it difficult to believe someone at the company concerned actually approved some of the more crass/annoying ones believing them to be a good representation of their company products ::)

Bealman

I still have my crutches from my op two years ago. I can't take them back.... they don't issue them here, you have to buy them!

Still, as Mick says, I'll probably need them again one of these days  :-\
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

emjaybee

My pet peeve lately...

There's an advert on Planet Rock, for a well known fried chicken purveyor. In the middle of what is the usual banal script for such products, the 'yoof' in the advert says "aks" instead of "ask".

IT DOES MY FLIPPIN' HEAD IN.

Why is it so hard to get someone who can actually speak English. I don't expect an advert for KFC to be done by an old Etonian in Latin. I'm fine with a regional accent, and I'm fine with the hip-hop, rap style of speech, but why can't they find someone who can actually pronounce words correctly. It's aimed at the younger generations, I hardly think we need to be actively trying to make them thicker.

:veryangry:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

guest311

but no doubt they were cheep !

Malc

I do find a lack of proofreading is annoying. It's not just on line ads that were done by a 16 year old apprentice getting used to Publisher, it's often in printed materials as well. Now you can send the material straight from your computer to the printing machine, there is no one to check spelling or punctuation.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Newportnobby

Whatever happened to 'going to' or 'want to' - now we just get gunna and wanna.
We don't even get 'to' but get 'tuh'.
People trying to say 'a' then a noun beginning with a vowel. Can't they hear themselves struggle to do it?
Don't get me started on those who start a sentence with 'So' and those saying 'nucular' and 'burgalry'. I could go further but some on the forum would object.

dannyboy

So a burgalry at a nucular plant is a no no then?  :)

I know what you mean though Mick. The constant misuse of the English language really annoys me at times. I think it stems from laziness - we live in a throw away society these days and I think it is the same with language.

David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Yet_Another

Not necessarily. Richard Dawkins coined the word 'meme' back in the 70s to express the idea of a cultural or behavioural element that gets passed down the generations, and it can apply to language, just simply being systematically passed down families. The word chimbley is an example. It annoys me no end, but persists in people who know how to spell and say chimney. But they were taught otherwise at a subliminal level, effectively.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Malc

Another thing that annoys me is the aspirant H. H is spelt aitch and some people are intent on pronouncing it Haitch.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

chrism

Quote from: Newportnobby on March 27, 2021, 11:27:03 AM
and those saying 'nucular'

Ah, "nucular" came from the Yanks, who for some reason manage to insert a complete additional syllable when saying the word yet, AFAIK, still spell it correctly. Unfortunately, it made its way into TV and films, so many non-American people got fooled into thinking that's how it should be pronounced.

There is actually a very good reason for it - they needed to do something with all the  letter "u"s that they leave out of words like "colour", "flavour", etc.  :D

chrism

Quote from: Newportnobby on March 26, 2021, 09:00:32 PM
Whoever invented the 'Mute' button on TV remotes deserves a medal to my mind when it comes to TV ads.

Whoever invented the FF button on video player/recorders deserves a knighthood too - whilst whoever invented the "jump x minutes forward" button on PVRs can have a top rank peerage as well  ;)

Invicta Alec

Quote from: emjaybee on March 26, 2021, 10:28:35 PM
My pet peeve lately...

There's an advert on Planet Rock, for a well known fried chicken purveyor. In the middle of what is the usual banal script for such products, the 'yoof' in the advert says "aks" instead of "ask".

I haven't seen that advert but I'm willing to bet the "yoof" comes from North London. "Aks" is a real giveaway! I will however dispute your spelling. It should be "arks". The delightful comedian Catherine Tate uses "arks" when playing her Lauren Cooper character!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV1zK8zRCPo

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Invicta Alec

....... and while we are at it, there is a place in London that hardly anyone can seem to pronounce properly!!

It isn't MARLEY bone. For goodness sake! Marley make roof tiles  :veryangry:

It is spelled Marylebone

It should be pronounced Marry-le-bone.

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Flange Squeal

I struggle to N gauge with this thread. Surely there's better places on the world wide web to whine about life's misfortunes 🤷‍♂️

TrevL

This is exactly the place. :D
While we're on the subject, I may as get these two off my chest.
The use of "to" when they really mean too, as in "too many"  or "I went there too".
And another one, and both my sons are guilty of this, "of" when they mean "have", as in "should have".  I might add, they did not learn this off SWMBO or I.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations