blue diesels

Started by painbrook, October 27, 2011, 07:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

painbrook

Can any of are diesel boffins tell me which blue livery locos would you find around the Preston/Fylde area circa 1970?. Are there any being manufactured at the moment?. Cheers john.

Pete Mc

As this is quite close to the wcml,I would hazard a guess by saying anything that ran on there that isn't electric would run there.From personal experience of travelling to Blackpool by train,I would also guess that dmu traffic would have been quite frequent.This is not fact or anything,just purely from experience.
From where I live,you could get a loco hauled express from Doncaster to Leeds then jump on a dmu from Leeds right through to Blackpool without changing,or catch a trans-pennine through to Manchester from Doncaster,then board a Preston bound loco hauled train,and finally get a dmu which started its journey in Leeds.Can't remember what loco was used to haul the Preston bound train but feel fairly confident that it would've been a class 47 as these did this type of work due to no express stock being on these routes.
Pete
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

Newportnobby

Hi John - looking in my Ian Allan Locoshed book dated November 1969, I can find class 40 + 47 + 24 + 25.
Sadly I can't tell you whether they were green or blue, but from the depiction of the class 50's on the front cover they were blue with full yellow ends and the small logo. The locos will be easy enough to find but as you have declared 'circa 1970' you may have to re-livery them. Hope this helps some.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_corporate_liveries

PhilW

I came across this site awee while ago very interesting it maybe of some help but i'm only from NZ so i don't really know ;D
http://www.railblue.com/

painbrook

philw, I'm definately getting more lazy in my dotage, I've got that website in my favourites box :-[. I think what I'm thinking of are Blackpool Saturday and excursion trains. Thanks john.

tadpole

Well if your talking about summer Saturdays you can run almost anything, as unusual as you like. 25s, even 20s could double head excursions or scheduled summer SO trains. More likely might be 40s, 44/45/46s, 47s.

Remember - it's your railway, and the only person you have to justify anything to is yourself.
Two rails good. Three better.

MJKERR

As above, I would expect to see 20, 25, 31, 37, and 47

Dock Shunter

Definately 40s......24s 25s 37s
As for DMUs.........101s 104s 108s

bluedepot

hi john,

maybe start of buying a graham farish class 24 in br blue? this is a very good model and you can get one for £60 i should think (or less on ebay).

alternatively, a you could get a graham farish class 40 or 45 in blue? (these are not dcc ready though, and not quite as good as the 24, but very nice models still).

best wishes

tim

EtchedPixels

The Farish 45 is annoyingly in a 1980s 'special' livery so you'd need to respray it. The 46 would be fine. The 44's normally hung around Toton on freight by then.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

painbrook

As always we have a mine of information, thanks guys. Tim I have a 24 in two tone green and very nice it is. I've managed to accumalate a few blue/grey mostly parcels stock, so all I would need is a good runner any brand. Perhaps Tim is right with the blue 24 but, it is nice to have a new/different  class loco on our layouts. Cheers john.

bluedepot

the 'new' realease graham farish class 46 in blue has a d number, so this would be ok for the pre TOPS 1970s?

or get one of the class 47s in blue if there is a 1970s one, or maybe a new class 101 dmu for regular workings?

tim

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations