Revolution Offering Mk5 coaches

Started by njee20, February 11, 2019, 01:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Not at the moment. Dapol do a 73, but not the 73/9 suitable for the Caledonian Sleeper, which is heavily modified.

There's a 3D printed body available on Shapeways, if you're so inclined.

MarshLane

Quote from: red_death on February 12, 2019, 12:33:11 AM
I'm a big fan of 185s - 23m Desiros 😀

Not wishing to detract, but another vote for a 185 unit!! Well done on the Mk5s - way out of my timescale, but one will have to be acquired as im a bit of a <wispers>68 fan</wispers>!!!!

As for seeing the Mk5a sets in traffic - don't anyone go holding their breath, from everything I am hearing even May timetable introduction is looking dodgy.  Its a shame, because a prompt, on time introduction to traffic, without any major technical problem would have done wonders to convince the industry that multiple units are not the be-all and end-all.  But if what im told is right, I gather CAF are not making themselves any friends at the moment, whether its TPE, CS or Northern. :(

Rich

Craighead

Quote from: njee20 on February 20, 2019, 01:22:03 PM
Not at the moment. Dapol do a 73, but not the 73/9 suitable for the Caledonian Sleeper, which is heavily modified.

There's a 3D printed body available on Shapeways, if you're so inclined.

Hi,

Thanks for that.  I'll check it out. I'm eagerly awaiting more details of the Caledonian Sleeper sets.

Graham

just thinking I will need a Class 92 in Caledonian livery to pull the sleeper set. must be a cunning plan by the team to boost the 92 sales.

Merrylee

Electra do the vinyls for the 73 in the teal Caledonian livery.

Me to for a class 185.

Ron

davidinyork

Quote from: Merrylee on March 02, 2019, 07:25:33 PM
Electra do the vinyls for the 73 in the teal Caledonian livery.

The issue is that the 73/9s are quite noticeably different to 73s in original form (have a look at photos), so there's a limit to what can be done with vinyls.

Is this something Revolution might consider? I appreciate that Dapol already do a 73 in original form, but the 73/9s are sufficiently different that it would probably mean new tooling anyway.

njee20

Mega niche though; one livery, on one operational service, in a very limited geographical and time period. I wouldn't want to tool an entire new model for that myself.

davidinyork

Quote from: njee20 on March 22, 2019, 09:47:17 AM
Mega niche though; one livery, on one operational service, in a very limited geographical and time period. I wouldn't want to tool an entire new model for that myself.

Two liveries so far - GBRF and Caledonian Sleeper. The GBRF ones travel widely in the SE on various infrastructure trains, and the sleeper ones cover large distances in Scotland (and there will be coaching stock to go with them).

So while it's niche to an extent, it's much less so than a number of models which have been produced or are being planned (e.g. the Farish prototype Deltic, or the planned DJ Models Class 23).

njee20

Mmm, I was forgetting GBRF had some refurbished ones I admit, but even so... I wouldn't hold my breath!

davidinyork

Quote from: njee20 on March 22, 2019, 11:21:15 AM
Mmm, I was forgetting GBRF had some refurbished ones I admit, but even so... I wouldn't hold my breath!

All of the Brush-converted 73s belong to GBRF - they have a contract to supply the traction for the sleeper.

njee20

You know what I mean - I forgot about the non-teal coloured ones roaming the SE.

njee20

That's the second time I've seen that photo without mention of who it is that can actually do them. Any reason for the secret squirrel stuff? Ignoring the fact the photo isn't actually even uploaded properly!

Looks like Sutton St Anne's, do I assume they're the work of Antony Ainsley-Sutton?

Snowwolflair

davidinyork

Quote from: Arrachogaidh on March 22, 2019, 02:35:03 PM
There are also the Network Rail Yellow 73/9 as well. I believe they all may have slight variations other than colour scheme.

The Network Rail ones (of which there are only two) are completely different and were converted by RVEL / LORAM in Derby. They each have a pair of Cummins QSK19 engines (as used in Voyagers, etc), and no ETS capability.

The Brush conversions for GBRF are more conventional and have an MTU R43 8-cylinder engine - basically an updated model of a half-sized version of the MTU engine in HST power cars. There are a few differences in the way the two batches are set up (the sleeper ones have a higher ETS rating), but so far as I've noticed the only obvious external difference is that the sleeper ones are now fitted with drophead Dellner couplers whereas the ones for infrastructure work aren't.

red_death

I didn't realise someone had done a 3D print for the CS/GBRf 73/9s - I'll have to decide whether to go ahead with my plan to butcher some cheap Dapol bodies!

Back on to the Mark 5s - we've done a survey of the TPE coaches (Mk 5A) and got quotes from various factories.  We've decided on which factory to go with and we're awaiting a revised date to visit Polmadie (our original date got cancelled - turns out measuring and photographing for model trains isn't as important as the real job of the depots!).  Order book should open in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers Mike

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations